• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

weight gain!!!! but its off again

hopelesscase

Well ladies and gents i dont post very often these days but just thought i would share whats been happening with you.

There is no excuse for what has happened apart from on my part bad planning. I have had a new charge to look after and she is a very poorly little girl who requires round the clock monitoring. she is tube fed and oxygen dependent. i spend 3 days with her 9-3 and then come home to the other children i look after.

Over the past 2 months i have put 10 lbs on. i naturally fluctuate by 4lbs but for the extra 6 lbs to appear was a bit of an eye opener. I didn't over indulge at christmas and i still stick to the no more than 5grm of fat and sugar per 100grms but what has been happening is ive been eating a lot of carbs out of convenience.

Ive been having cereal or toast at breakfast, a sandwich at lunch because its what i've been offered in someones house.and then tea time its been a ready meal of pasta, cottage pie or some other quick thing because ive either not been shopping or gor something out of the freezer.

Also since having my dog put down ive not been out for my daily walk and the aquafit instructor broke her arm so the class hasnt been on but equally i didnt just go swimming instead.

Last week i hopped on the scales and nearly fell over backwards I had put 10lbs on. It just goes to show how easy it is to become complacent and how the hard work really starts now 3+ years post op.

That was all i needed to wake myself up. No need for a 5 day pouch test as i know im not overeating just making the wrong food choices. Ive since manages to loose 5lbs by increasing my fluid intake, going back to menue planning and removing carbs apart from root vegies from my diet. Im back to swimming 3 times a week and walking whenever i can even if its only parking the car over the far side of the carpark.

It just goes to prove that this really is a life long commitment to changing eating habits. dont think oh its only a few lbs as a few soon turn into a stone. Good luck everyone and take care with what you eat. x

This is so true. I have had similar battles and planning is so important.

Well dun on takin control n loosing 5lbs already ;-) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Love your attitude. You didn't beat yourself up over it, just got on with it.
It shows you have beaten the demon which is our past reliance on food as comfort.
And thank you for sharing.
Lynne x

thanks for the reminder :) i will try to remember this as i am only 9 weeks post op x but it goes to show don't get complacent and exercise as much as possible :) well done for getting it sorted out x

Thanks for this post, it's good to be reminded not to go onto autopilot. And well done on getting on and dealing with it:)

dont think oh its only a few lbs as a few soon turn into a stone. Good luck everyone and take care with what you eat. x

It was *wrong* thinking like that when I was a teenager that led me to gradually increase from 11 stone .... to 12 stone .... 13 stone ... 14 stone etc etc.

Thanks for your post !! :)

Thanks for sharing and good for you for dealing with it before it gets totally out of hand again.

WLS is not just for Christmas huh! It really is a lifelong commitment to the changes it brings. x

Love your attitude. You didn't beat yourself up over it, just got on with it.
It shows you have beaten the demon which is our past reliance on food as comfort.
And thank you for sharing.
Lynne x

Funnily enough Lynne i've never been a comfort eater or an emotional eater. One of my biggest struggles post op is when im upset or excited i cant eat and have to rely on milky drinks. problem is once the excitment is over i go back to normal eating and then realise how hungry i am. x

Im blowing my own trumpet because even though Dave was home this weekend and took charge of the kitchen(i didn't cook a thing for 4 days) what a man!!! i managed to stick with my very low carb plan because he understands how important it is for me. I still enjoyed myself and had wine and nice low fat desserts. I've now lost 8 of the 10lbs and so pleased with myself.

Going back to solid protien really does leave you fuller for longer and with the low carbs im not having the insulin spikes that made me feel hungry. the body really is an amaising thing when you listen to it. x

Thanks for this timeless reminder that we really are all in this for the long haul. I'm 11 weeks post op but am really trying to change my eating habits forever now.

Great job Carole its a real constant need to be vigilante that catches me out every time, you forget for a week or so and on go those pesky pounds. Well done for catching them and dealing with them so quickly

M

I used to be the carb queen but im amazed at how protein kees me going for ages. The carbs im eating are complex carbs and i didnt know how nice brown spaghetti was, always used to eat the white stuff.
Well done making the changes and sticking to them :D
Kim

I've always been impressed by your commitment Carol and your achievements in reaching goal and maintaining for so long are inspirational and spectacular. This is just another step for the legend that is Hopelesscase and the way you have dealt with it does not surprise me one bit.

A cautionary tale that even at three years out the fight against our old demons never really ends. It's the one thing that makes me cringe when I read people saying 100 pounds gone forever, it's only gone forever if you take the steps to ensure it can never come back. Or when it does start to creep up on us we recognise it like you have done and do something about it. It's also why making the most of the first year is so important, why we have to give ourselves the best chance of dealing with future gains by changing our attitude to food and exercise in the early days. Why we shouldn't eat pizza four weeks post op or drink booze at two weeks out, because unless we get our crap together right from the start we run the risk of being in that 30% that will regain up to 40% or more of the weight we've lost

Huge credit to you Carol you've always been a star at this lark and continue to be so xxx

Echoing your sentiments exactly Karlos. Although worth adding I think that as you get further out and more in control you can eat very small amount of pizza occasionally. I do its my guilty pleasure BUT only if not showing any significant regain and eyes riveted to that aim at all times. As Carole so well demonstrated you have to be all over it as soon as you notice it as well as take all the right steps to try to ensure it doesn't happen. I share Karlos hatred of the lbs gone for ever statements. It is never true without years of hard work to ensure that is the case. Look on other sites where more long term people post and you will see many dozens of regain stories. I think it should be compulsory for pre-and post-oppers to google gastric bypass regain and see the potential reality and prepare to work with your op permanently to try to stop this.

Sorry not my style to hijack a thread or be seen as perhaps controversial but every passing week post op makes me aware of how this needs my attention on my journey and I know I am not alone

Slipping away now quietly apologies Carole

M

No need to appologise at all M. The reason for me posting was to highlight the fact that loosing the weight for many is the easy part its once its off that is when the hard work starts. I too have the odd slice of pizza but have got to admit i make my own with pitta bread or wraps as thats how i like them.

Having redressed my eating plan its given me a real boost and i'm back to planning meals and really enjoying cooking again. Again all circumstancial but with my son speading his wings and leaving home, the dog dying, extra work breaking my toe, and every other excuse i could use its easy to become lazy and choose the easy options that we know arnt necessarily the best.

But above everything i think it is essential to be open and honest firstly to yourself and then to those around you. All my friends and family have been so supportive when i told them that i had gained weight. Not one person said does it matter or your still skinny they all said you need to do whatever it is that you need to do to get rid of it then, just let us know if we can help.

so good to have all of you and my other friends around. thankyou x

You are so right Carole. I always 'fess up to my OH, work, the world and his wife.Some are amazed I gain or ever need to bother as my op will surely'sort it out'. Most though know my previous life and support me 110% in ensuring that doesn't return just as they supported me through the losing.

Never doubted you would be on top of the challenge and we need these REAL post op posts so pre and new post-ops get the true picture of life after the golden months. Its not a bed of roses but it can be a beautiful life if you are prepared to work at it.

See you back at target shortly

M

Back