• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

weight-loss post op

bubbaloo82

Hi

was wondering what peoples weight loss was like..during week 1..2...3...4 etc after surgery! Iam 11 days post op (bypass).. and just wanted 2 find out what 2 roughly expect.... fightin the battle of not steppin on the scales everyday :s

would love to hear from everyone :)

x jo x

If you follow your providers advice it WILL happen, scales or no scales. I'd just say be a little bit careful measuring yourself against others as you might get disheartened. It isn't a sprint to your target, not a race against others. Good idea to plot your new weight and get an idea of what to expect, just be mindful that although you will have similarities you will also have a unique and different experience in parts too - and that is perfectly normal x

This is forever, and with support and advice you'll be fine. Good luck.

See below for my losses, they are in kilograms as I try not to think in stones and pounds. I actually get on the scales more now than when I was in the first 4 weeks post op. I couldn't agree more with Dinda, try not to compare. Each of our journey's is individual to ourselves. I agonised for weeks that I wasnt loosing quickly enough, that I could eat too much etc. I have given up on all that now, and have gained some faith its going to happen. I worried that it just might not work for me, now I know I will MAKE IT work for me.

Last edited:
Hiya bubbaloo, I am 2 weeks of having my bypass and I am down 18 lbs I lost a stone in the first week. and seemed to stand still. gone on my scale's today and lost some more. but everyone is different hun, so don't worry, it will come off in time xxx

Hiya bubbaloo, I am 2 weeks of having my bypass and I am down 18 lbs I lost a stone in the first week. and seemed to stand still. gone on my scale's today and lost some more. but everyone is different hun, so don't worry, it will come off in time xxx

Wow, that's a great loss so far! X

Thanks everyone.... I'm 2 weeks Saturday (tomorrow) haven't lost anything this week... Just stayed the same... Just wanted a little more understand I.e stalls in the first month etc

My restriction doesn't seem 2 b like others I read alot about people feelin full after 2/3 teaspoons... I don't think I've ever felt full I eat 2/3 tablespoons an stop... So I'm scared I'm eatin 2 much not drinking enough or drinking 2 much... It's all so confusin in the early days

x jo x

How much are you drinking? And I never felt full much when I was on puree, it comes a bit later after you've healed a bit more. In the early days I just ate a set amount and stopped. Now i eat to satisfaction.

About 1.5l is that enough should it b more.., I'm now watching exactly what I'm drinking... Cos that's what I was thinkin mayb I'm not drinking enough!!

How many weeks r u post op now? If u don't mind me askin

x jo x

I'm just coming up on 16 weeks. 1.5 is pretty good for your stage. I'm sure you'll work up to about 2 in the coming weeks. Even though I have never stalled myself, it's the really common to not loose any weight a few weeks after the op. It's just your body adjusting.

Thanks ever so much... Think I just need 2 relax... I'll have 2 wait for next appointment with provider hopefully things will have started 2 move by then :) x

Thanks ever so much... Think I just need 2 relax... I'll have 2 wait for next appointment with provider hopefully things will have started 2 move by then :) x

I didn't seem to have the same level of restriction as others. Now it really varies - some days I can eat more than others. Nowhere near what I used to and less than my 10 year old. Just keep doing what you're doing :)

I know we've discussed this before Yve, I'm much the same.
Certain members of my team gave the strong impression that weight loss is automatic for the first year, simply because of restriction and reduction of appetite. And that I should just 'go with the flow'. But I realised at around 10 weeks, that I was going to be able to eat to maintain my weight. I never lost my appetite (although its much reduced), and still look forward to and enjoy food. People are quite shocked when I tell them this, and ask how I'm still loosing weight!
Actually I'm loosing faster since I decided not to go with the flow at all, but to allow myself to become a little obsessed with the numbers. It wont be forever, its not in my nature. But if I want to get the job done (and I really do) then its the way its got to be. I'm trying to banish foodie guilt, it seems pointless now. Its amazing how much this process is revealing to me my motivations for overeating. I always thought I was an emotional eater, now I'm not convinced.
For now, the greatest gift this surgery has bestowed on me is the lack of agonising hunger that I used to feel.

I know we've discussed this before Yve, I'm much the same.
Certain members of my team gave the strong impression that weight loss is automatic for the first year, simply because of restriction and reduction of appetite. And that I should just 'go with the flow'. But I realised at around 10 weeks, that I was going to be able to eat to maintain my weight. I never lost my appetite (although its much reduced), and still look forward to and enjoy food. People are quite shocked when I tell them this, and ask how I'm still loosing weight!
Actually I'm loosing faster since I decided not to go with the flow at all, but to allow myself to become a little obsessed with the numbers. It wont be forever, its not in my nature. But if I want to get the job done (and I really do) then its the way its got to be. I'm trying to banish foodie guilt, it seems pointless now. Its amazing how much this process is revealing to me my motivations for overeating. I always thought I was an emotional eater, now I'm not convinced.
For now, the greatest gift this surgery has bestowed on me is the lack of agonising hunger that I used to feel.

Very true :)

Back