• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Metabolically resistant - weight loss post op?

Fuffs

Shrinking Big Brummie
Hi

I know that many people are metabolically resistant and really struggle to lose weight. Some people it is thyroid troubles too. Other simply a normally slow metabolism. Some peoples metabolism is effected by what medication they are on.

I have been wondering if this changes post op?:confused:

I also was wondering if it depends on the procedure.:confused:

For example, a band does not effect metabolism, it provides restriction....So I am assuming that would be no good for someone who is m.resistant.

I am assuming a bypass would be better, but does it help?:confused:

I am not sure anyone will know the answer. I just think a lot, and this is a product of my thoughts:confused:....So good luck working out what I am on about :8855:

yes that does make sence, but i think with having the bypass and not eating as much this will kick start our matabolism as food doesnt have far to go????

if that makes sence
fuffs your mind must be racing with all sorts of questions, like most of us. t
hope my little posts helps a bit and i hope some one will be along soon to give you a more in depth few to your question. xxxx

Thanks Lynda. That seems to make sense. As Bypasses tend to make people eat very few cals and the digestive system is changed.

I have just done some limited reading. It seems insulin can have an effect on metabolic resistance too. So a band could also help I am thinking. Simply because people who lose a significant amount of weight often improve their diabetes in the long run. And this will also help cut other medication. Though I know the bypass is usually recommended to help with diabetes. Both must help.

You are right Lynda. My mind never stops lol

And thank you :)

yes i have read about people who have are diabetic pre surgery, have now found they do not need to take any medication for it post surgery.

Hi Fuffs,

From what I have read the full bypass leads to immediate reversal of diabetes. There is something about the RNY op re-routing the plumbing that does this, and even scientists have not fully explained it yet (LOL!) .... in the US the RNY op is even being used to "cure" people with Type 2 Diabetes who are not morbidly obese, just moderately overweight with Type 2 D. It works.

As for "metabolic resistance" my thoughts are that ALL bariatric surgery will lead to weight loss, but some people will lose weight faster and more easily than others (this will always be the case, such is life).

It is likely that the full bypass RNY offers the most effective weight loss, thru both restriction and malabsorption -- therefore whatever a person's natural metabolism and natural rate of losing weight would have been -- the RNY op is likely to offer the optimal increase.

I would have thought the gastric band of only moderate benefit to someone with metabolic resistance. All bariatrc surgery options are TOOLs, but I think the band is a tool that people have to work a lot harder to get the best results out of.

Everything you have said I agree with Sharon. I have been reading around the forum and it all makes a lot of sense.

Thank you :)

Back