• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BBC weight loss program last night

countrywench

Did anyone see the weight loss program on BBC last night ?
I found it very interesting indeed .. If you didn't see then you should be able to watch it on the BBC app ..

A lot of the subject I found could have been about myself . Doctors dismissing me , not getting the help I needed even though in serious pain . Etc etc ..
Then there were seriously ill people who had major heart problems that couldn't even get past their GP !
The doctor who was hosting the program was extremely sympathetic and was all for weight loss surgery , saying that in the end it would save the NHS money as the obesity epidemic was only going to get worse ...
A patient with a very high BMI is going to cost the NHS more money with all the health issues that go with it ..
The only thing they didn't cover entirely , which I would have liked , is the actual addiction to food .. They did however surprise a few GPs with information about the hormones inside the gut that cause obesity .. This hormone is hugely suppressed through WLS .. Now how do most doctors not know this ?
I'd be interested to hear what you all thought about it
Mindy
Xxx

FeeBee

I thought it was very interesting and very sympathetic which makes a nice change. I especially liked the presenter educating that columnist on a few pertinent facts.

It also made me realise I was obviously very lucky because I had a supportive GP and mostly a team who understood my complex medical history because even on the day of surgery they said I was smaller than most people they see but it was never an issue. I was never given a target weight loss to meet before being referred either so unlike many people shown my journey was relatively straightforward and made sense. Some of those people were suffering so much and so needlessly. Plus the postcode lottery has to end on this and many other types of treatment. The NHS provides for us all so it shouldn't matter where in the country you live.

It was great to see people talking about the reality of what we risk having WLS done although I was surprised when they talked about a bypass being reversible as I thought it was permanent. I was a bit shocked that the people who decide on funding and putting patients forward seemed to have so little understanding of the basics of how and why WLS works. Again I thank my lucky stars for my supportive and well informed GP!

The points about how vilified obesity is were very important too. People attribute so much to how we look. The problem I have these days is people suddenly assuming I'm no longer disabled by virtue of the fact I wear smaller jeans these days. They probably assumed before I was disabled because of being fat. In actual fact my weight has never had anything to do with it.

Bling Babe

I have it on planner so look forward to watching it

Stevie D

I have just watched this programme and agree with all that has been said. I am reminded of the predudice I experienced from a neurosurgeon only a few months ago who said he was not going to consider doing anything for my trapped nerves in my neck until I lost weight. I would not have gained the weight if my shoulder problem had been properly sorted out 12 years previously. Not his fault I must add but still his attitude did not impress me.

Moving back to the TV programme the poor lady diagnosed with AF due to her weight problem, I have so much sympathy for as I suffered from atrial fibrillation for a few years prior to having a surgical ablation 3 years ago, the cause of which was believed to be sleep apnoea. I enjoyed the programme and hope many of the points were taken on board by the health professionals and public alike.

Sunshine99

Not seen it...bit gutted as I like watching weightloss programmes good or bad ones. What was it called? May try and watch it on YouTube.
@countrywench , I get quite mad :mad:when people dismiss 'addiction' when it comes to food. Yet ...if we had any other kind of addiction...it would be seen as a 'real' addiction / problem, and given real empathy. But, food addiction ....we must be greedy...lack self respect. Obesity...is such a complex subject.

Toni :rainbow:

Ian2Big

Sunshine99

Thanks @Ian2Big , will have a look over the weekend.