• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss surgery starting again :(

ericabro

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction at least.

In 2007 I went to my doctors to be referred for a gastric band, I was the perfect criteria for one. The doctor sent me to Murrayfield Hospital on the Wirral for a consultation the surgeon said I was the perfect candidate for the surgery and that I definatley needed one.

I went back to my doctor with this information he then contacted our local PCT (Wigan) They then asked for a second opinion so I was then sent to Beardwood Hospital in Blackburn, again the surgeon said I was perfect and really need this surgery.

My doctor went back to the PCT with this information, One friday night I had a call from a lady from the PCT it was around 8pm she had two screaming kids in the background and she called to say that the PCT weren't allowing me to have the operation because there wasn't funding for it.

Fast forward about 6 months I've changed doctors since and asked my new doctor to refer me for gastric band surgery. I had told him what had happened previously he said to find out the criteria myself and come back so I did, I went back and he said you'll be best appealing against the PCT's decision.

I've spoken to many people from weight management teams who said that I can be put forward and that the funding is there and I will get the surgery I need.

I've been pushed from pillar to post these last few months with no help at all from the doctors, he's a trainee doctor so doesn't know the rules properly and I feel that I'm getting no where with him. I've also called both hospitals I visited in 2007 for my records with no one ringing me back or giving me the information I need.

I just don't know where to go from here. I am unable to fund it myself or I would of. I am the same as I was 5 years ago apart from my knees being more shot at because of my weight I have tried every diet known to man with no difference.

I have received a letter today from weight management for an appointment in June, I feel it's unfair that I have to start right from the beginning again when I have already got this far. Do I have to do the weight management course or can I start from where I left off? The doctor keeps telling me to find out all this information myself I thought that this was his job? I'm going round and round in circles all the time.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post :wave_cry:

Erica

Hi Erica

Wow what a nightmare!

Have you considered contacting PALs at your hospital for help?

Home

I hope you get some answers soon x

Erica,

This is the BOSPA link to all PCT criterias in the UK: BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association

Unfortunately under Wirral it does say:

"NICE Guidelines criteria plus patient must undertake programme through Lifestyle and Weight Management Service and psychological assessment."

NICE criteria are:

BMI above 50 --> straight to surgery
BMI above 45 and 1 co-morbidity --> straight to surgery
BMI above 40 and 2 co-morbidities --> straight to surgery

Under the NICE criteria anyone not qualifying under those rules (e.g. BMI 45 but no co-morbidities) has to go thru extra hoops, e.g. weight management etc.

But if your PCT has set "BMI criteria plus weight management" as its own individual funding criteria, it does look that way.

What are your BMI and any co-morbidies ? I a on my 3rd appeal now and am just waiting on their decision from a meeting over a week ago. First they argued that although my BMI was over 50 I didn't have any co-morbidities, then the next time after an indepth report from my GP which I did most of the leg work for him, they said I did have co-morbidities but I hadn't proved to them that my eating habits had changed to their standards and if I could prove I could lose and sustain an amount of weight for 6 months, they would consider my request again. I only managed to lose 11 lbs and I am hanging on now for their decision.
I have had to chase up every bit of information and research myself because I cannot trust the GP to be bothered enough to do it for me.
Some people seem to sail through the process even when they have no co-morbidities and others have to battle all the time. There is just no continuity throught our helath service is there ?

Don't forget to use your MP for help.

Sharonimo said:
Erica,

This is the BOSPA link to all PCT criterias in the UK: BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association

Unfortunately under Wirral it does say:

NICE criteria are:

BMI above 50 --> straight to surgery
BMI above 45 and 1 co-morbidity --> straight to surgery
BMI above 40 and 2 co-morbidities --> straight to surgery

Under the NICE criteria anyone not qualifying under those rules (e.g. BMI 45 but no co-morbidities) has to go thru extra hoops, e.g. weight management etc.

But if your PCT has set "BMI criteria plus weight management" as its own individual funding criteria, it does look that way.

The OP is under Wigan PCT, not Wirral. Plus Wirral changed their criteria a couple of years ago to BMI 50 minimum plus lifestyle and weight management. The BOSPA list was compiled 4/5 years ago now and is very out of date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction at least.

In 2007 I went to my doctors to be referred for a gastric band, I was the perfect criteria for one. The doctor sent me to Murrayfield Hospital on the Wirral for a consultation the surgeon said I was the perfect candidate for the surgery and that I definatley needed one.

I went back to my doctor with this information he then contacted our local PCT (Wigan) They then asked for a second opinion so I was then sent to Beardwood Hospital in Blackburn, again the surgeon said I was perfect and really need this surgery.

My doctor went back to the PCT with this information, One friday night I had a call from a lady from the PCT it was around 8pm she had two screaming kids in the background and she called to say that the PCT weren't allowing me to have the operation because there wasn't funding for it.

Fast forward about 6 months I've changed doctors since and asked my new doctor to refer me for gastric band surgery. I had told him what had happened previously he said to find out the criteria myself and come back so I did, I went back and he said you'll be best appealing against the PCT's decision.

I've spoken to many people from weight management teams who said that I can be put forward and that the funding is there and I will get the surgery I need.

I've been pushed from pillar to post these last few months with no help at all from the doctors, he's a trainee doctor so doesn't know the rules properly and I feel that I'm getting no where with him. I've also called both hospitals I visited in 2007 for my records with no one ringing me back or giving me the information I need.

I just don't know where to go from here. I am unable to fund it myself or I would of. I am the same as I was 5 years ago apart from my knees being more shot at because of my weight I have tried every diet known to man with no difference.

I have received a letter today from weight management for an appointment in June, I feel it's unfair that I have to start right from the beginning again when I have already got this far. Do I have to do the weight management course or can I start from where I left off? The doctor keeps telling me to find out all this information myself I thought that this was his job? I'm going round and round in circles all the time.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post :wave_cry:

Erica
Thank you for sharing your problems, I totally get where you are coming from. I had similar issues. My GP suggested Gastric Band, sent me to NHS dietitian, I followed their diet plan, lost the weight I needed to be referred, then they changed the BMI levels and the dietitian told me I was then under the limits so would not be able to refer me after all! ... Hence why I went private ... ended up having a Bypass as I would have cheated a Band!! I would have never gone for the saline to be put in as I've a fear of injections (can cope with bloods taken just don't put anything in my body!).

I was messed around something rotten and then begged to be put in community weight management as I knew it was another route for referral. They then kept saying I would never get funding.

Long story short, after many emails to the hospitals PCT PALS, hospital PALS, the wm coordinator, the physicians (all evidence in emails) I got my finding dec 2011. Then had to complain again due to the hospital being unfair (I was referred 2009). Then had my op 30/03/12

My long point is, don't give up :) xxx

Fuffs said:
I was messed around something rotten and then begged to be put in community weight management as I knew it was another route for referral. They then kept saying I would never get funding.

Long story short, after many emails to the hospitals PCT PALS, hospital PALS, the wm coordinator, the physicians (all evidence in emails) I got my finding dec 2011. Then had to complain again due to the hospital being unfair (I was referred 2009). Then had my op 30/03/12

My long point is, don't give up :) xxx

Lol ... Fuffs
And you certainly didn't give up!
Hope your well x

Hi All, Thanks for all you help I weight 20st 6lb and height 5.4 this doctor says my BMI is 47, the only thing wrong with my body is a bad knee and I have a low platlet count, I work for myself so dont go to the doctors very often and just put up with these things, my doctor has told me he only qualifies next year! and does not know how to go about all of this, but backs me up completly! He also says thing will be so different next year when there are no PCTs, there is only one doctor who is qualified and he is useless and does not want to help and says I am the other doctors patient, when I phoned PCT she said as I live in Ashton in Makerfield and go to a doctors in Garswood I was in st helens band and to ring Runcorn so that took about 20 phone calls to be told I was still under wigan as thats where I live. I was just wondering what was the criterea for Ashton has that changed at all, sorry about the spelling mistakes.

You really need to speak to PALS at your PCT and let them help you, that's what they are there for. Let them know you mean business and won't be fobbed off.

Hi All, You are all so kind and helpful thankyou! I have had a phone call to go to my doctors today and he has been quite helpful and got all my notes from the other hospitals and has decided that he can now go straight for funding as I meet the criteria so here is hoping I will let you all know he said it will take 2-3 weeks. Hopefully I don't have to go through all that rigmarole I have already been through.

Thanks for all your help

Erica

Back