• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight management first appointment

Kerry Jo

Hiya everyone,
been on here now for a couple of weeks and would like to thank everyone for being so supportive and nice :)
I have my first appointment at weight management soon and was wondering what happens? I'm a bit worried as i have learned on here that it depends on where you live and the criteria of your PCT. I live in Warrington and it says BMI 50+ mine is 47. I was told off my doctor that i needed to go WM for 12 wks. My letter came from WM and when i phoned up they said it was 8wk course? :confused: Am i wasting my time going as i don't fit the criteria? (didn't know when i went to the doctors that i didn't fit the criteria, learned this info on here) Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance :) x

i am afraid i cant help you jo not in your area etc........but i wanted to wish you luck on your journey

Hi Joanne,

Can't really advise on the weight management clinic as I wasn't required to attend one, although I imagine it would be looking at what your current diet/exercise levels are like now, and trying to find ways to improve your food choices, portion size & starting/upping any exercise regime. Pretty standard really, but if you have been referred, you should go because for some PCT's, it's a requirement for funding. It may be your Dr wasn't sure exactly of the duration of the course...alot of PCT's run 8 week weight managment clinics nowadays, so don't worry about it. As for you currently not fitting the criteria, don't even think about that yet. Have you got any co-morbidities, like high BP, sleep apnoea, diabetes, vascular problems? If you don't fit the standard PCT criteria, you may be able to apply under 'exceptional criteria' funding.

Thanks Tracey and Angie :)
Angie i had a look on the bospa web site under my area and it says BMI 50+ that being the only criteria. Most of the other PCT's have many guidelines. Yeah i do have problems with my legs (not sure this matters though) I read somebody was refused from another PCT and she had many problems and I'm sure her BMI was 60 (can't remember who it was now) But i thought at the time how can she be refused (i don't know.) Shame its not the same criteria across the board then at least we would no where we stand. We all pay the same taxes :-(
Anyway enough of me moaning on lol xxx

Hi Joanne

I don't know about your PCT but when I started my journey the BMI limit was 40 or 35 if you had underlying health problems. I've got the usual high BP, cholesterol etc but I had an accident a few years ago and need a total knee replacement, and I'm considered too young for that yet. When I went to weight management (6 months) my BMI was 37. My funding was agreed through exceptional circumstances. The dietician at the WM clinic applied for this. After the 6 months it was then her responsibility to refer me to the surgeon.

I was very luck to get my op as Salford have now changed their criteria to a BMI of 50, and I think I was one of the last people to be operated on with a lower BMI.

My mum was a few months behind me in her journey, with BP, cholesterol, diabetes & sleep apneoa and her BMI was 46 at the time of the changes and the dietician couldn't refer her for WLS as Salford is now not accepting anyone with a BMI less than 50. She basically got a letter saying if she put on any weight, she still wouldn't be accepted! She is now on an 8 week course with WM which is similar to a normal weight loss club.

So you may have a fight on your hands if your PCT has similar guidelines.

I hope it all goes well for you and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they are flexible for you x

I aslo was not required to attend any sort of Weight Management Clinic, so I cannot advise on it. we has discussed many times before that every NHS area have different criteria for qualifying for WL Surgery. it's kinda weird.
Anyway I wish you the best of luck.

KIM x

Thanks Gail and thanks Kim.
I'm really gutted couldn't stop crying when i read your post Gail. Thanks though for being so honest. I'm annoyed at the doctor as he made out i do this course and then i get my surgery (should have known nothing is this easy) I Phoned WM to ask some questions, they do 8 week course, then you stay on this for 12mth and if needs be u go back to your GP who'll refer you back to the WM. So it looks like there is going to be no surgery for me :-( I think if you meet the criteria you don't have to do the WM thing. Thanks for your help guys xxx

think really you should - and maybe speak again with your doctor - surely they wouldnt refer you if you didnt meet criteria?

Hi and thank you mrssafc thats what i thought, why refer me. I feel so down about it at the min and feel i would just break down if i went the doctors, (but will do when I've calmed down)
We'll have to re mortgage the house to get the surgery. Then i feel more guilty at the fact ill be putting a huge debt on our family (have 3 young children.) Think everybody feels a little fragile with whats going on at the moment. So i could end up with my life back and be healthy but end up on the streets, lol ill have to laugh or ill cry again.
I spoke with my mum yesterday who is a nurse who has gave me loads of good advice and is going to help me. Told her my BMI is 38, what the hell is that all about its 48 (just can't admit it to her) i'm so ashamed :-( xxx

It's a horrible time for you, all this waiting & being told one thing, then something else...really plays with your emotions, doesn't it? Tomorrow is another day....go back to your doctor when you feel able & have a good chat with them about how you are feeling & all this angst not knowing if you fit the criteria etc, and see what is said. If the worst comes to the worst (and I'm not advocating this one way or the other), but if you have to re-mortage to get the surgery, then so be it! If I hadn't got my funding agreed, even though I'm up to my eyeballs financially, I would have got the money from somewhere, somehow...I rationalised it as what I would save in stuffing my fat face with food, would make the monthly payments! However, I did get my funding even though it's been a while getting here, although I'm still going through the hoops to get my op. It is really frustrating, but stick it out, things can change quite dramatically from one month to the next...don't give up hope that you will get there eventually, however you do it!

Thanks Angie! I've been searching all day for answers. You are right in what you say. I'm going to go to the first appointment and ask them out right, do i qualify? If i put on weight and get my BMI to 50 before my appointment i think ill be ok. If its 49 i'll go private. Thing is people will be thinking why not stay on the course but ive been on a diet most of my life and i eat healthy most of the time. I eat too much food and graze throughout the day (on healthy things) and don't do any exercise other than walking because of my back and legs. So i know surgery is the only answer. I've already tried cutting down and when i fail i eat everything in site as a punishment. I'm just trying to be positive at the min. I go away to Devon soon so hopefully i'll put on some weight lol never thought i'd hear myself say that :-( xxx

Back