• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weird things happening to tastebuds post bypass!

Caroline101061

Hi All

Im 4 and a half weeks post bypass and now 'eating normally'. However, everything tastes extraordinarily sweet including Chilli that I made myself, Bolognaise Sauce, low fat Philidelphia Cheese with Garlic and Chives - you name it! Am I unique or has this happened to you? The only thing that tastes unsweet is water and that tastes of metal - Its driving me mad!

yeah im the same. Im nearly 5 weeks post bypass, and no where near eating normally, but getting there, and everything tastes sweet. I had 2 of my sons smarties when he had some the other day, and they tasted awful. If i have a piece of chocolate, which is rare, cos im not that bothered now (shock!) one piece, perhaps two is more than enough.

I dont know whether its because we havent had these sweet things for a while, or if our taste buds have changed??

Congratulations on your Op!!

No Your not mad lol, Its happened to me too, all different kinds of food taste very sweet to me, I think it happens to a lot of people after the Op, I used to love coffee, (About 10 cups a day)now I can only drink milky coffee and only have a couple of cups a day,
I think its a good thing, It certainly helps me anyways, I now think about the food i eat, and make wiser choices, Before my Op i was never really a fruit eater, but now i eat it every day, Its all good.

It's a commonly reported thing after bypass. It's perhaps a good opportunity o use it as an additional tool to avoid previously enjoyed high calorific, bard carb foods.

I love fruit - always have but melon tastes like someone sprinkled canderel all over it - food is ending up in the bin and Im getting fed up with everything tasting like its tainted - how long does it last?

hi everyone im 9 month post bypass and my tastes just coming back to normal now,chocolate and any very sweet temptations still smell and taste very very sweet x x x sarah x x

you lucky bypassers,:copon: us poor banders still desire a nice bit of choccy from time to time. ;)

mine changed to, it took me a couple of months to be able to drink coffee again and its still mainly got ot be Lattes in order for me to enjoy it. Everything does taste sweet, i am a savourys person lol, even non sugar protien shakes taste very sweet to me, but you keep going and you get there. I can manage a little chocolate when i want to know which is very rare as even before the op i could go months without any. I do not deny myself anything i just have it in very small portions

Its so strange about chocolate - I had a massive sweet tooth 4 weeks ago and now the thought of it does absolutely nothing for me - mind you when everything including toast tastes like rich tea biscuits, then its kind of understandable

Wow how interesting is this. There's hope for me yet! I've been dreading cancelling my hotel chocolate subscription!

hope it feel better soon
x

Back