• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Trying things out proir to op

flowerofshona

Im slowly trying a few new things out prior to my op to see what i can face after.
Tried options hot choc drink made with milk ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww its so sweet !!!
Tried cheese triangles and they made me feel sick.
Going to make a fish pie tomorrow, im not great with fish but have some white and smoked fish and a cheesy sauce so it should be ok :)
Thought it was better to try things now as i have time, I have seen that your tastes change post op so im expecting that.
Did anyone else try things prior to their op ???

Hi Dawn, to be honest I just ate normal food pre-op. Stuck to my pre-op diet. Before the op I loved bread especially crusty and had a terrible sweet tooth. Since the op I no longer have a sweet tooth. I dont need sugar in my coffee something pre-op I couldnt have stomached without 2 tsp's of sugar. I no longer crave chocolate. So far so good. xx

Wow...taste can change quite dramatically then. I luuuuurve curry of all types. I would live on it. But have a feeling our relationship will end post op lol. Spices will probably give me heartburn.

I have not tried eating post op food yet :)

Tasty Soups

Hi flowerofshona

In the few weeks before my OP I made lots of homemade soup after buying a soup recipe book. I made the soups which need blitzing in a liquidizer. After having a bowl as a taster, if I liked it I put it in the freezer in ice cube trays. When they had froze I put them in bags. This has now paid dividends as I have a good selection of tasty nutritious soups which I take to work and microwave in a mug to have for my lunch. I have found that four cubes is a good portion. The tastiest one I made was Asparagus and Spinach.

Stavros:)

I'm with you on that one Fuffs, will defo miss my curries xx

Glad I am not the only curry obsessive lol

Hi flowerofshona

In the few weeks before my OP I made lots of homemade soup after buying a soup recipe book. I made the soups which need blitzing in a liquidizer. After having a bowl as a taster, if I liked it I put it in the freezer in ice cube trays. When they had froze I put them in bags. This has now paid dividends as I have a good selection of tasty nutritious soups which I take to work and microwave in a mug to have for my lunch. I have found that four cubes is a good portion. The tastiest one I made was Asparagus and Spinach.

Stavros:)

That is a great idea Stavross :) Problem with me is I make all my soupd spicey. I would need to make them bland just incase.

It is a good idea to make them while you have the energy to do them. I will remember that x

Glad I am not the only curry obsessive lol

That is a great idea Stavross :) Problem with me is I make all my soupd spicey. I would need to make them bland just incase.

It is a good idea to make them while you have the energy to do them. I will remember that x
and dont forget, spices dont freeze so they keep getting stronger lol :yuk:

I still like spicy foods and haven't found them to be a problem yet. However I have found things taste a lot sweeter to me now than they did before the op so have no problem avoiding sugary foods now (which is a good thing). I do have to be very careful with the content of sugar in foods though. I was horrified the other day to read the sugar content of weight watchers hot chocolate. Way over 20g per 100g of product. I wonder why Weight Watchers and Slimfast insist on single handedly supporting the sugar industry the way they do :8855:

I am at the stage in my eating that I am really having to force myself to eat. That is a thing unheard of until now (my family are amazed), and really wish that I didn't have to bother to eat at all as my tummy feels so much happier empty :D However, needs must and providing I don't overdo it with portion size I find that I have no problem with any foods at all so I virtually eat the same as always just in minute quantities these days :D:D:D

Snap Stavros i have soups in the freezer already :)
Im just trying to get over my 'head' with some foods, not many but they are the ones i will need to include after the op.
Im the same with currys Fuff and would really miss them but maybe we will just have to have less hot ones :D
Trying sugar free jelly today :8855:

Typically me, trying to be organised, I cooked up a storm before I went into hospital. I have around 40pots of various foods in the freezer & have not touched one. :8855: best laid plans :( ... I seem to have been discharged from hospital with someone elses tastebuds, lol xxx :D

Have to say a bit concerned about the protein intake to start when on purees as how do you puree meat ? Or do you get enough through eggs & milk ??

Have to say a bit concerned about the protein intake to start when on purees as how do you puree meat ? Or do you get enough through eggs & milk ??

Hi Cheryl, milky coffees, shakes, smoothies etc will all give you protein but in the first few weeks it is not as essential as getting you fluid intake right. You will build your protein levels up as you go along. You can also add protein powder if it concerns you too much xxx :):)

Lol you can tell I havnt seen anyone yet can't you ! Thanks for that twinkle xx

Lol you can tell I havnt seen anyone yet can't you ! Thanks for that twinkle xx

TBH Cheryl, nearly all my info has come from this forum. The hospital teams are OK for the really important stuff, but people on here are living it & have much more insight into what works best. You will know everything you need to by the time you have your op xxx :):):)

:jelous:
and dont forget, spices dont freeze so they keep getting stronger lol :yuk:

I didn't know that :( lol

I still like spicy foods and haven't found them to be a problem yet. However I have found things taste a lot sweeter to me now than they did before the op so have no problem avoiding sugary foods now (which is a good thing). I do have to be very careful with the content of sugar in foods though. I was horrified the other day to read the sugar content of weight watchers hot chocolate. Way over 20g per 100g of product. I wonder why Weight Watchers and Slimfast insist on single handedly supporting the sugar industry the way they do :8855:

Maybe they want people to stay fat forever and feel an addiction to their products lol

Snap Stavros i have soups in the freezer already :)
Im just trying to get over my 'head' with some foods, not many but they are the ones i will need to include after the op.
Im the same with currys Fuff and would really miss them but maybe we will just have to have less hot ones :D
Trying sugar free jelly today :8855:

Do you mean compromise? Going to have to do some more learning lol....You are right lol

Typically me, trying to be organised, I cooked up a storm before I went into hospital. I have around 40pots of various foods in the freezer & have not touched one. :8855: best laid plans :( ... I seem to have been discharged from hospital with someone elses tastebuds, lol xxx :D

That is my worry. And I honestly believe that is what will happen to me lol

TBH Cheryl, nearly all my info has come from this forum. The hospital teams are OK for the really important stuff, but people on here are living it & have much more insight into what works best. You will know everything you need to by the time you have your op xxx :):):)

I think this forum is amazing for WLS information. I can't be without it now lol

When I was given my first date for surgery I had a few weeks before I needed to start the dreaded pre-op liver shrinkage diet so I tried a few dry run days.

I also tried different ways of eating things like yoghurt - frozen and mixed in with jelly - I also tried different stock cubes and found I'd rather eat a spoonful of Bovril rather than add it to hot water and much prefer Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon to any of the stock cubes.

Tatiana

Well i tried sf jelly, it was ok and splenda granuals and that was ok far better than any other sweetner i have tried, so im plodding on with it.

im expecting my op in December but a date hasnt been confirmed yet - it is my first year having everyone over to us for xmas dinner and i may well be drinking mine through a straw boo hoo - im thinking i might manage the soup started and trifle pudding??

Fuffs said:
Wow...taste can change quite dramatically then. I luuuuurve curry of all types. I would live on it. But have a feeling our relationship will end post op lol. Spices will probably give me heartburn.

I have not tried eating post op food yet :)

I am with you there on the curry Fuffs .. Any further news yet. I am still waiting for appointment letter. WhT a waiting game this is xxx

Yay!! Another curryite lol

Not heard a thing yet. I emailed the bariatric co-ordinator yesterday and have heard nothing as yet. The worst thing the doc ever told me is that I can email for support lol

Back