• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What a immature ignorant attitude from an adult!

this is going to sound harsh and if someone proves me wrong then I will have learnt something.

If you weight gain has nothing to do with "over eating". By this I mean you eat that much that you put stones on over a short period of time. And more to do with a medical condition, then how is having wls surgery going to help? wls only tackles the over eating of the wrong foods.

I mean even been completely unable to exercise is not going to pile on stones unless you are eating the wrong food.

Like I said I may need educating here as I really can't see how wls can help apart from stopping you eat the wrong foods and the wrong amount.

i know I got fat because I ate huge amounts of the worse foods and was lazy.

I can see it from both angles, whilst I don't particularly warm to Ricky Gervais he did openly admit that he himself has a weight issue and whilst the way he expresses himself is obviously designed to shock and draw attention I tend to agree that very few of us gained weight but eating healthily and taking regular exercise.

xx

First off in the name stake, whoever called RG an arsewipe is the winner!

Right now the serious bit. I have three kids, two aged 12 & 10 respectively. If i was out in the street with my kids and they said something along the lines of "look at that black man" or them funny bald men in the orange dresses i wouldnt laugh. I would tell them that it's wrong to single someone out for ridicule for whatever reason. Who are we to judge? What made RG so perfect he could judge me?

And yes i dont exercise much, though i'm trying to change this. And yes i make bad food choices, and i'm trying to change this. But i still eat far too much and wls will help me with this too.

I remember watching one of RG's shows when he took the p*** out of kids with cancer and he wasn't funny then.

Finally someone said we need to lighten up! Hell, i make fat jokes, when i go on my big girls night out to London my new workmate asked me where and why i was going and i told her like i tell everyone "i'm going on my fat girls night out", i also tell them i'm allowed to call myself fat cos it's my body, my life. They're not cos it's damn rude!

Talentless, flat, boring.... but arsewipe was deffo the best!

It doesn't matter HOW people have put on weight. All the matters, in my eyes, is that that person is taking responsibility for their health and happiness and is trying to lose the weight by whatever method they feel works for them.

Whatever way someone chooses - they should be applauded not ridiculed

xx

It doesn't matter HOW people have put on weight. All the matters, in my eyes, is that that person is taking responsibility for their health and happiness and is trying to lose the weight by whatever method they feel works for them.

Whatever way someone chooses - they should be applauded not ridiculed

xx

Amen to that!!! :D:D:D

Finally someone said we need to lighten up! Hell, i make fat jokes, when i go on my big girls night out to London my new workmate asked me where and why i was going and i told her like i tell everyone "i'm going on my fat girls night out", i also tell them i'm allowed to call myself fat cos it's my body, my life. They're not cos it's damn rude!

Talentless, flat, boring.... but arsewipe was deffo the best!

So, if you are fat you can make fat jokes, if you are bald you can make bald joke, but if anyone else does their rude!!! What about Irish jokes? etc etc ... Sorry, to me a joke is joke and you can't ring fence who is allowed to tell those jokes. You don't OWN fat jokes just because you are fat!!

However, by that explanation RG has done no wrong. He was taking the p*** out of himself, so that is ok then.

this is going to sound harsh and if someone proves me wrong then I will have learnt something.

If you weight gain has nothing to do with "over eating". By this I mean you eat that much that you put stones on over a short period of time. And more to do with a medical condition, then how is having wls surgery going to help? wls only tackles the over eating of the wrong foods.

I mean even been completely unable to exercise is not going to pile on stones unless you are eating the wrong food.

Like I said I may need educating here as I really can't see how wls can help apart from stopping you eat the wrong foods and the wrong amount.

I would like to try and explain this in my very uneducated way...

Bonita and myself have both posted similar replies along the lines of illness causing weight gain...drugs causing weight gain and immobility causing weight gain....you want to know how WLS will help those types....

Steroids for a start are my biggest fear and can cause huge weight gains.

By cutting out the portion of your stomach that does not stretch as much causes restriction...cutting our the hormone grehlin also plays it part in reducing the hunger triggers to the brain...

The hormones that play a huge part in your WL of your WLS is Gastric Inhibitory Polypeptide, Motilin, Pancreatic Polypeptide, Grehlin and many others....way too complex for me to try explain...but it's here if you want to look...it is very interesting:

Obesity surgery - Google Books

I know when I manage to lose a stone or two, I feel better in many ways; we all do....It it a vicious circle...

Hope some of this helps

(((hugs)))

I was and have never been lazy. Nor have I ever eaten the wrong kind of foods. I went from being a dance instructor/judge that could eat virtually whatever I wanted to being a virtual cabbage putting weight in daily due to the pain/drugs and illnesses.

I'm not going to bore you will details but for me this surgery was not all about being overweight cause I was fat and lazy at all.

I'm currently still consuming less than 500 calories a day and being sick at that so the weight is dropping off, the difference is, now I'm not hungry all the time, also because of the extremely low calorie intake and also as part of the intestine has been removed I've got a double whammy and digesting a further 30% less of the calories that enter my body.

I'm sorry to disagree but WLS does not only takle the over eating of food. There are many of us that don't over eat at all (by normal standards).

Someone with an Underactive Thyroid for example would gain weight because their metabolic rate slows down, (Overactive Thyroid sufferers often lose a lot of weight). Underactive Thyroid is considered a co-morbidity illness by some surgeons and these patients will be offered WLS.

One of my illnesses also slows my metabolic rate and its just not realistic to expect someone to survive on a less than 500 calorie a day diet without the aid of some sort of WLS, which is what I was having to do to lose weight prior to the surgery and probably what I would have had to do for the rest of my life.

As I said before this surgery means that your body can now digest less of the calories that its taking in and also the appetite is reduced so if your having to survive on fewer calories its not so miserable.

Its all a bit complex to explain how the WLS aids my recovery, you have to understand the disease I have first, but please don't assume that all people are overweight because they over eat. If you said they were over eating for the condition they have, then I would agree, but a lot like me certainly do no over eat compared to normal peoples standards.

Last edited:
So, if you are fat you can make fat jokes, if you are bald you can make bald joke, but if anyone else does their rude!!! What about Irish jokes? etc etc ... Sorry, to me a joke is joke and you can't ring fence who is allowed to tell those jokes. You don't OWN fat jokes just because you are fat!!

However, by that explanation RG has done no wrong. He was taking the p*** out of himself, so that is ok then.

Interesting points x

That is my point though. If you don't over eat or eat the wrong foods and still put on weight then there is a medical issue. I didn't say that everyone that is overweight is that way because they are lazy and over eat. I certainly know that they are other reasons why people put on weight.

What I said is, if you don't over eat (which you say you don't) and you eat the right food (which you say you do). How is WLS going to help. Weight lose surgery stops you over eating and eating the wrong foods. You already do that and still put on weight due to your illness.

I know what WLS does (I've had it!!) WLS makes you eat and absorb the right foods so you loose weight.

I am sorry if I have still missed the point. But I have yet to read anything that tells me how wls helps people loose weight who's weight gains has not been because of food.

Someone with an Underactive Thyroid for example would gain weight because their metabolic rate slows down, (Overactive Thyroid sufferers often lose a lot of weight). Underactive Thyroid is considered a co-morbidity illness by some surgeons and these patients will be offered WLS.

I have family/ friends with both of the above. Neither is over or under weight. If you need less food then you eat less, if you need more food you eat more.

Even with these conditions it is still over eating (eating more than your body needs based on your metabolic rate), that means you put on weight.

So although an illness has caused you to need less food it is still the amount of food that you are eating that has made you put on weight.

My one friend did put on 3 stone before she was diagnosed. Once she knew why she was putting on weight she changed her eating habits and lost the weight.

Now, I wish I could practice what I preach with regards to eating, but it is easier said than done I know. That is why I had WLS.

That is my point though. If you don't over eat or eat the wrong foods and still put on weight then there is a medical issue. I didn't say that everyone that is overweight is that way because they are lazy and over eat. I certainly know that they are other reasons why people put on weight.

What I said is, if you don't over eat (which you say you don't) and you eat the right food (which you say you do). How is WLS going to help. Weight lose surgery stops you over eating and eating the wrong foods. You already do that and still put on weight due to your illness.

I know what WLS does (I've had it!!) WLS makes you eat and absorb the right foods so you loose weight.

I am sorry if I have still missed the point. But I have yet to read anything that tells me how wls helps people loose weight who's weight gains has not been because of food.

I think I covered that with the link I left ^up^ there, although complicated, it goes a long way to explain the hormonal aspect of losing weight once you go through WLS...WLS is more than cutting bits out...it involves a lot more than just that.

(((hugs)))

(((hugs)))

Here is a short extract of how WLS can help someone with Hypothyroidism (under active thyroid function)...and this is just one hormone involved in obesity.

Department of General Surgery, Bariatric and Metabolic Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA.

BACKGROUND: The pathophysiologic relationship between morbid obesity and thyroid hormones is not well understood. The goal of this study was to evaluate the influence of obesity and weight reduction after bariatric surgery on thyroid hormone levels. METHODS: Patients who underwent gastric bypass or adjustable gastric banding at our institution, had no previous diagnosis of thyroid disorder, were not taking medication that could affect the thyroid function evaluation, and who were nonsmokers were included in this retrospective evaluation. The association between the thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and free thyroxine (T(4)) levels and body mass index (BMI), and the influence of weight loss after bariatric surgery on these hormones were investigated at different points (preoperatively and 6 and 12 months after bariatric surgery). RESULTS: A total of 86 patients met the study criteria. The TSH levels correlated positively with BMI (P <.001, r = .91) within the BMI range of 30-67 kg/m(2). The mean BMI change from 49 to 32 kg/m(2) after bariatric surgery was associated with a mean reduction in the TSH level from 4.5 to 1.9 microU/mL. Free T(4) showed no association with BMI and was not significantly influenced by weight loss. Before bariatric surgery, 10.5% of the subjects had laboratory values consistent with subclinical hypothyroidism. After bariatric surgery, 100% of these patients experienced significant weight reduction with simultaneous resolution of their subclinical hypothyroidism. CONCLUSION: The results of our study have demonstrated a statistically significant positive association between serum TSH within the normal range and BMI. No association was found between BMI and free T(4) serum levels. The prevalence of subclinical hypothyroidism in study group was 10.5%. Weight loss after bariatric surgery improved or normalized thyroid hormone levels."

From everything I have read, your hypothyroidism should not lead to a negative outcome in bariatric surgery... in fact, bariatric surgery may help you improve your hypothyroidism.

(((hugs)))

well am not surprised.....never really got his sense of humour or him as a person. he seems so arrogant ...you know what they say pride comes before a fall......wont say any more as it only lowers me to his level.!!

Here is a short extract of how WLS can help someone with Hypothyroidism (under active thyroid function)...and this is just one hormone involved in obesity.

Department of General Surgery, Bariatric and Metabolic Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA.

BACKGROUND: The pathophysiologic relationship between morbid obesity and thyroid hormones is not well understood. The goal of this study was to evaluate the influence of obesity and weight reduction after bariatric surgery on thyroid hormone levels. METHODS: Patients who underwent gastric bypass or adjustable gastric banding at our institution, had no previous diagnosis of thyroid disorder, were not taking medication that could affect the thyroid function evaluation, and who were nonsmokers were included in this retrospective evaluation. The association between the thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and free thyroxine (T(4)) levels and body mass index (BMI), and the influence of weight loss after bariatric surgery on these hormones were investigated at different points (preoperatively and 6 and 12 months after bariatric surgery). RESULTS: A total of 86 patients met the study criteria. The TSH levels correlated positively with BMI (P <.001, r = .91) within the BMI range of 30-67 kg/m(2). The mean BMI change from 49 to 32 kg/m(2) after bariatric surgery was associated with a mean reduction in the TSH level from 4.5 to 1.9 microU/mL. Free T(4) showed no association with BMI and was not significantly influenced by weight loss. Before bariatric surgery, 10.5% of the subjects had laboratory values consistent with subclinical hypothyroidism. After bariatric surgery, 100% of these patients experienced significant weight reduction with simultaneous resolution of their subclinical hypothyroidism. CONCLUSION: The results of our study have demonstrated a statistically significant positive association between serum TSH within the normal range and BMI. No association was found between BMI and free T(4) serum levels. The prevalence of subclinical hypothyroidism in study group was 10.5%. Weight loss after bariatric surgery improved or normalized thyroid hormone levels."

From everything I have read, your hypothyroidism should not lead to a negative outcome in bariatric surgery... in fact, bariatric surgery may help you improve your hypothyroidism.

(((hugs)))

I understand this and do not disagree that WLS can help these illnesses. WHat I am asking is...

If you eat the right food and right amounts, for you (for people with thyroid problems may need to eat more of less to sustain a healthy weight) but still put on weight. Meaning that your (the general "your") weight gain has nothing to do with the amount you eat how can surgery help.

If your condition makes you hungry more or you metabolism slow down. It is still the food that you eat and lack of exercise that makes you put on weight.

I know what I mean and I still believe that although it is because of an illness that you over eat. It is the overeating that makes you put on weight. Now that may be that you only eat 700 cals a day but for your body that could be over eating.

I understand this and do not disagree that WLS can help these illnesses. WHat I am asking is...

If you eat the right food and right amounts, for you (for people with thyroid problems may need to eat more of less to sustain a healthy weight) but still put on weight. Meaning that your (the general "your") weight gain has nothing to do with the amount you eat how can surgery help.

If your condition makes you hungry more or you metabolism slow down. It is still the food that you eat and lack of exercise that makes you put on weight.

I know what I mean and I still believe that although it is because of an illness that you over eat. It is the overeating that makes you put on weight. Now that may be that you only eat 700 cals a day but for your body that could be over eating.

I don't think I understand what you are asking then tbh...
WLS is more than cutting bits out...or rearranging your parts of your anatomy.

The only thing I can say in answer to what I think you mean is...by giving some people who can't lose weight because issues with thyroid (and other hormonal conditions). Weight loss surgery may improve the hormonal balance or eradicate it all together...but that is a really over simplistic way of an explanation.

Example:
For me with a thyroid problem for example...I eat 700 cals per day...you eat 700 cals per day also....your weight loss would be quicker than mine...(I actually did a VLCD once and lost nothing for nearly 2 weeks)...after medication to balance my thyroid I should be near the same weight loss as you...(but we talking a hormone that can be dealt with and medicated)...If I have WLS there is a chance that my meds could be reduced from my current dose....(saying that, hypothyroidism is a life long condition and will always wax and wain anyway).

This is just Thyroid ... there are many different hormones that have a baring of obesity of which WLS will enable them to lose weight easier.

There is also genetics too....that will play a part in obesity too and will affect some more than others.
(((Hugs)))

I don't think I understand what you are asking then tbh...
WLS is more than cutting bits out...or rearranging your parts of your anatomy.

The only thing I can say in answer to what I think you mean is...by giving some people who can't lose weight because issues with thyroid (and other hormonal conditions). Weight loss surgery may improve the hormonal balance or eradicate it all together...but that is a really over simplistic way of an explanation.

Example:
For me with a thyroid problem for example...I eat 700 cals per day...you eat 700 cals per day also....your weight loss would be quicker than mine...(I actually did a VLCD once and lost nothing for nearly 2 weeks)...after medication to balance my thyroid I should be near the same weight loss as you...(but we talking a hormone that can be dealt with and medicated)...If I have WLS there is a chance that my meds could be reduced from my current dose....(saying that, hypothyroidism is a life long condition and will always wax and wain anyway).

This is just Thyroid ... there are many different hormones that have a baring of obesity of which WLS will enable them to lose weight easier.

There is also genetics too....that will play a part in obesity too and will affect some more than others.
(((Hugs)))

I understand and I totally agree.

There are people that claim that even if they ate nothing they would still put on weight and be obese.

I am trying to make it simple but I don' know if I am getting the right message across.

Back