• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What am I letting myself in for (in Leicestershire)

Hello

I have been finding all your post very informative and just wanted to say hello.

I am in my 50s and having been dieting since I was a teenager. It sometimes works for a bit, sometimes for a bit longer but overall I just get bigger and bigger. My BMI is closer to 60 than 50 and my back is so bad I can hardly walk. Recently my doctor asked if I had considered WLS. I hadn't but having looked into it I am feel this is the right way to go. From 'no chance' to 'when can I have it done' in less than a month!

I have been referred to something but I have no idea what the process is. I think it is some kind of individual assessment and my appointment is later this month. If anyone has any experience of the Leicestershire process I would love to hear about it. Failing that, I will probably post on my progress for others who start this process in Leics later. I think my biggest fear is a whole year of some kind of weight management service where I will likely lose weight, put it back on, feel like a failure and not meet the criteria for surgery, whatever that is. Any tips for avoiding tier 3 would also be appreciated.

TIA
Dot

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You've certainly come to the right place for support on your journey.

I'm originally from Leicestershire and have some experience on the process through my mum, who has now sadly passed away. It's pretty standard practise that once referred you have to go through some sort of weight management programme, which will be what you have been referred to. This will help them assess your willingness to lose weight and get you to the next stage, surgery.

It's one of the many hoops you have to jump through I'm afraid but it will all be worth it in the end, if it gets you the surgery.

Good luck x

Hi Mazza

Thank you for the welcome and the info. You don't look old enough to have lost your mum :(

My willingness to lose weight is high. My ability to lose it an keep it off, low. I was hoping they might go with the NICE guidelines and consider tier 4 as first line treatment for someone as heavy as me but I will try to see the hoops as something positive!

BW
Clare

You are very welcome Clare and thank you for your kind words. I'll be 48 in July lol.

I feel very passionate about WLS as a tool because I lost my mum to obesity related diseases. If only she'd of been offered help sooner, she may still be here.

I'll have everything crossed for you that you go through the process quickly xx

That is so sad. I now understand your passion :) I am a little older than you at 53 which is part of my reason for wanting a quick referral to tier 4.

Back