• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I Shooting myself in the foot!

loubyl00

I want to shrink!
After having my first consultation at the weight management clinic I am now waiting for funding.

And after ambling around this site for a while, I thought i'd start trying to loose some weight (again) before I move forward with my WLS process.

I have suddenly had a thought (probably being stupid) but if I loose some weight beofre my fuding is granted could this be jeopodised?

What do you think?

I just want to be the best I can be for the surgery!

Cheers

xXx

I don't know, I don't think you can ruin your chances by showing you're committed. I have no idea as the NHS didn't help me with my weight. Maybe try some light exercise and switch to healthier choices rather than actual diet...get your head in the right place and practice for the new lifestyle rather than diet as such?

Hi Lou

it all depends on the criteria your PCT goes off. Some have to loose a certain % of body weight before each clinical appointment, some don't worry about you loosing any weight before your op. My PCT required me to complete a 6 month course with a dietician before I was referred to the surgeon. Although I didn't have to loose a specific amount of weight before hand, I did have to loose some to demonstrate that I was comitted to loosing some weight.

Your weight management team should advise you on what they require of you in order for you to get your surgery.

I have actually thought that myself. We all want to lose weight but don't want to jeopardize our operation as we know we can't do it on our own. Good luck!! xxx

Hi, i thought the same thing & i know each area is different however, i was told by my consultant (who was sending off the funding bits) that he would put my funding through at the bmi i was when i saw him, any weight loss would be a bonus not only for myself but would please the surgeon etc, i was told however that after my pre op (had that in april) that if i put on any weight i would be in trouble!! :cry: My op is in september so maintaining the loss is so hard!! but i do feel better for it & i am still 21st 7lb so still along way to go!!

Thanks again,

I am getting a clearer picture of what WLS means and Thats down to this site. So glad I found it.

Thanks again, I am sure I will have more questionsa s the days proceed! lol

Hi Lou,

Good question! The same thought crossed my mind when I first started on this, I worried that if I was too successful, I wouldn't get the funding. I'm always watching what I eat....but boy do I still have some baaaaaaad days...hence the need for surgery!
I get think Neen offered some very sound advice there! Go with a healthy eating plan rather than a full scale 'diet'..but if you fall off the wagon, hopefully you won't beat yourself up too badly about it!!!

Thanks Angie,

I am going to do that.

My hubby and 12 yr old daughter want to eat healthier too, so we are going to change our habits together, but as you say 'not beat ourselves us' when we have a bad day! Afterall, thats why I am where I am today, 'dieting' doesnt work for me. But seeing my family healthier does. lol

Cheers me dears!

Hi Loubyioo,

I throught the very same thing!
I was referred to the pct last year who said i would have to see a dietician for 6 months which i have just finished. I went back to my GP last week who is going to refer me back to the pct .
So i can only hope that i have met all the criteria that they want!! This has been going on for well over a year so far.

Marie:party0038:

Hi louby nice to meet you luv my doc applyed for funding the pct told me to do a 6month weightloss which i did. When he applyed again they said the criteria has changed and i didnt fit into it anymore.I contacted the pct they started saying because ive losted weight i could do it myself. Ive been fighting for it for 24months my MP has contacted pct. They have advised me for my GP to apply for individual funding for an exceptional case which my GP has.

Last edited:
Thanks Ladies.

Poo Bear? Good Luck, really hope yu get our dream.
Birchy? How awful for you, That is so not fair. Dont give up, keep fighting hun.
x

Back