• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello!

someday_maybe

Just a quick hello to everyone :)

I joined about a month ago and have spent time reading through many many pages, diaries and posts - it's so helpful to be able to do so. Thank you to everyone who has contributed something here - I may well have read it recently!

I am currently not 'in the process' - just researching and trying to decide if I will approach my GP to discuss WLS.

Like so many people, have been overweight since a teenager, coupled with PCOS and the genetics from both my parents it was I suppose inevitable. Overweight is the norm in our family sadly. However, I now have 2 super children of my own, and so want to break the cycle for them. They are both 'normal' weight, as is my super duper hubbie, so it's just me now !

Hi and welcome! It is always a personal decision to make whether weight loss surgery is right for you, so I am not going to try and influence that. What I would say though, is that the NHS route is a long one (though exactly how long will depend on where you are based), so there will be plenty of time for you to reflect from the time of referral up to the point of surgery. Personally, in hindsight, I wish I had gone to speak to my GP sooner.

I can only speak for myself, but I always sort of knew deep down that I needed this surgery. The researching and decision-making was more a process of me accepting that fact, since it was a difficult truth to face.

I wish you all the best with whatever you decide x

@someday_maybe hello and welcome :) reading and researching as much as you can is vital to coming to a decision I think. Good luck with it all x

Hello and welcome! I went through the NHS process until cleared for surgery but the surgery waitlist is almost a year here so I chose to go private with the same surgeon - I wasn't 100% sure when I went to the GP but going through the process and being on here helped me to know it was the right thing for me. I agree that if you think it might be for you then try and start the process - even if surgery is not what you ultimately choose the dietician and weight loss help will no doubt help you, which can only be a positive thing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

thank you lovely ladies.
I am in awe of you who have managed to reach a decision, and make the changes you have done - well done.

I am in Kent, so I think that surgery would have to be in London on the NHS. The wait lists are long, I am sure. Currently I am not in a position to cover privately - nursery & school fees are a killer! However, things do change so I'm not ruling it out completely. I have to admit at being a tad impatient, and the thought of the NHS processes and timescales does put me off somewhat, but I know that is a crazy thing. On the other hand, one knows there is no NHS funding for skin surgery, and therefore maybe it is more sensible to run the course for WLS on the NHS, and save for skin surgery which I can only imagine I would need - facing 40 in the next couple of years, and having been overweight for more than 50% of that time makes this a real issue!

I am a little addicted to the plethora of TV programmes on transforming people (Biggest Loser, My 600lb life etc) as I am sure many others are. So much can be done without surgery, but I know that the exercise routines have them burning 8000 calories (or more!) per day and therefore it's not a realistic option with a full time demanding job, a family and a home to manage as well!

I would like to better my exercise routines.... somedays I manage very little -I can spend 8 hours in the car some days and then have to fit a work day in too :( Any suggestions? What did you all do to start off? I think I have reasonable stamina (within the confines of being obese) but lack motivation or energy at times.

I am low carb-ing at the moment, as it is most effective for PCOS I have found. I could be better though! I have been researching the 5:2 or AD fasting programmes - anyone else got any thoughts on these?

That's all for now,

thank you all :)

Back