• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What could be causing this?

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hiya folks
I have been experiencing some new pain lately and am wondering what could be causing it. It is on my left hand side, kind of in my side, can hurt as far up as lower ribs region to my hips. Cant explain the kind of pain that it is, it is a niggly pain that kind of feels as though something is wriggling around in there...see, its a hard one to describe, it is kind of like when you do too much and get a 'stitch', that kind of pain, can really take my breath away too, sure did last night, though it is bearable and is more an annoyance than worrysome.
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what it could be, I dont plan to see a doctor about unless it becomes unbearable.
Steph xx

Sorry Steph, not a clue hun but didnt want to read and run. Constipation maybe?

No wise words about what your pain might be.

I know following WLS some people are more prone to developing a Petersen's Hernia - don't know much about it but its caused by all the extra room inside as we lose weight.

But I have also heard that a lot of people get this left sided pain and many have investigations but no cause is found.

Now after the most useless reply you're likely to get :) someone more helpful will pop along

You should maybe get it checked out if it persists

Hugs

Angela xx

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies xx
No not constipation. I had read of lots of people having pains in their left side and so I am taking it that it is a normal part of the journey, I was just kind of curious to know if anyone knew much about it. As I say, I wont be seeing my doctor about it unless it becomes severe, I will ask the surgeon about it when I see him in a couple of months if I am still getting it.
Again, thanks for the replies xx
Steph xx

Ill see how it is in the week, if it becomes constant or troublesome Ill make sure to get it checked.
Steph xx

I got left side pain straight after the op but it went after a few weeks. Its where they do the majority of the work. However, I would get it investigated if it is a new pain and you are quite a way out of surgery. Why don't you email your bariatric team in the meantime whilst you wait to see your surgeon.

My only real contact IS the surgeon, I dont see a dietician or anything, have seen the nurse once since the op for a weigh-in.
If it doesnt get better or gets any worse I will email the surgeons secretary, have been emailing her about medication anyway.
Thanks xx
Steph xx

Do you suffer IBS? From what you describe the pain could be in your colon, but if it's under your ribs could equally be gall bladder. Either way I suggest you seek medical help if it continues or gets anyway worse. Good luck hun xx

PS please totally disregard the nonsense written above, I can't tell my right from my left!! :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks guys xx
I do have very mild IBS but never felt it where it is. Could it be gallbladder as it is in the left of my body, where IS the gallbladder?
Steph xx

It could still be IBS as it could effect you anywhere along your bowel. IBS hurts even more if you have some trapped wind as well.

gallbladder is on the right Steph. I doubt its that as the pain would be excrutiating.

Sorry Sam, don't like to contradict you but the gall bladder is actually on the left, just tucked beneath the liver.

Sam is right (sorry to butt in) - My surgeon told me as I had mine removed

LOCATION OF GALLBLADDER

The gallbladder is located behind the liver on the right side of the rib cage. It hits up against the under surface of the liver. There is a duct from the liver to the small intestine which is joined by a duct from and to the gallbladder. Bile moves in both directions into and out of the gallbladder through the cystic duct. This latter duct joins with a duct from the pancreas on its way to the small intestine carrying pancreatic enzymes also used for digestion. The main duct is called the common bile duct. It is common to the liver, gallbladder and farther down line, to the pancreas as well.

Bile is a bitter, yellow fluid. It can consist of cholesterol, lecithin, calcium, bile salts, acids and waste materials among other things. When the bile salts and cholesterol get out of balance with each other (to state it simply) gall stones can form.

OMG I do apologise!!!! I can't tell my right from my left now :eek:

It is in exactly the place I said it was but it is on the RIGHT, not left. I've had major brain fail :doh: :8855:

Steph, that means my earlier advice to you was completely wrong too! :eek:

Back