• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What did others say....?

jelly

If you told anyone else about your surgery, what was their initial reaction to it?

I told my Mum i was looking in to it and I really wanted to get it done but straight away she said , 'no you're not!'. I think I may have a bit of persuading to do, and my OH has said he doesn't mind me going for it. I know at the end of the day it's no one elses decision, but I don't want to upset my mum especially.

Did anyone else face any opposition?

I had a couple of awkward comments. But, I was so open about it there wasn't much anyone could say. At my work we had a leaving do for my stomach. You just need to be confident in your decision and on the whole I think most will at least respect your choice.

How old are you?! I'd be furious if my mother responded like that. I only told her once I'd made my mind up and told her it wasn't up for discussion and I didn't want to be talked out of it. She actually thought it was great but she has hated my weight problems for years!

Don't worry about other people, it's your life x

I am 38!!

She knows someone who had a band an put all their weight back on, so of course she automatically thinks all surgery is a band, and it won't work for everyone. I think her response is out of ignorance of the procedure really, so I shall have to fill her in! She is also overweight and has been her whole life (as was my grandma. See a pattern forming!) so you would think she would be there with me in understanding!

I too have a very overweight Mum and Nan and was very worried about telling her (and my skinny Dad - who is and always has been "the feeder") as I thought they might think it a bad idea. Luckily for me, it was quite the opposite. There were lots of tears all round and complete support as my Mum recognised that they had never taught me to stop eat, eat, eating as a child etc and that I couldn't get control of the situation myself. She also said she wanted me to have a chance at being fitter and avoiding all the health conditions she has developed as a result of her weight during the last 10 years! We are, however, a very open family and have always talked about the females weight issues honestly and without excuses............we just haven't been able to get back control!

I am 39 and was spurred on by the approach of my 40th birthday and a bit of a health scare with rising BP and poss diabetes if I'm honest. It all turned out to be OK, but I knew that might not be the case next time!

Has your Mum got weight related health issues? Maybe you coud appeal to her better judgement that way, by making her see its important to you to be healthier.

I feel for you though, it's a toughie. Good luck.

By the time I told people (haven't got any parents) it was too late for them to comment or try to dissuade me I had my op date and was never going to turn back x I'm sure you're mum will come round when she sees the benefits people always go on about the bad stuff first :( take care and don't give in if you and hubby are going to be positive it will rub off on others x

Back