• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What do/did you look forward to post-op?

Lucy86

As an overweight person, we all think "ooh I wish I could do that", "ah, if only I could..." etc. So, just wondering, what are you looking forward to post-op? Or, if you are already at that stage, what did you look forward to? And have you managed to do it now?

Lucy x

Cutting/painting my own toenails without having to ask my O/H to do it, and yes I can do it now - with ease :)

I'll start with a few of mine...
1. Walk into almost any high street store and buy the clothes I fall in love with, without having to think "I could never fit into that"
2. Run around the park with the kids, playing football, doing cartwheels, etc
3. Cut/paint my toenails with ease!!! Lol
4. Go on rollercoasters without feeling embarrassed that I might not fit in
5. Go horse riding again

Crossing my legs
Buying clothes from more shops than evans/ yours/ simply be
not feeling wacked when walking from one bus top to another
been able to sit on any seat and not have to think "will this seat take my weight?"
Taking up just 1 seat when on a bus
having people feel that they can sit next to me as there space for the both if us
going upstairs on a bus
not needing an extension belt in the car, can now get a seatbelt around me

Getting into a plane seat and to not have to worry that the seatbelt doesn't fit - I'll let you know in August!

Ooh yes crossing my legs is one of mine too!! I also really really want to do the Great North Run. I come from a family of runners so it would be lovely to join them xx

hi i can't wait to.............

run around with the kids
go on a holiday
girly shopping days with my daughter
not feeling like an embarrassment
not being in pain
being able to do the housework
not sweating so much
taking the kids horse riding
wear/buy normal clothes
buy a bra in asda lol
get a whole outfit in primark for the same price as a crappy tshirt from evans

in other words i just look forward to being 'NORMAL'

XXX

Hi
I dream of:
Never being embarrassed about my weight ever again!
Being able to buy clothes that I want to wear rather than have to wear.
Feeling like my daughter can be proud of me
Not worrying wether the seat belt on the plane will fasten (Went to Heathrow last week and not only did it fit but I had to tighten it, woo hoo! )
Feeling fit
Not having to be 'the funny one'
Not having a shortened life hanging over me!
Not having to constantly think about food!
Being more social

God I could go on and on!

Jackie
Xxxx

Pre-op but oh god so many. I think of a new one every day.

- Generally a better quality of life.
- Being able to get life insurance
- Being able to take my dog for decent walks
- Not running out of steam halfway through my day (I'm 31 not 91)
- Camping! My brain says yes but my sleep apnoea machine and my back say no)
- Not worrying about chairs being big enough or strong enough for me
- Getting on public transport again without fear of ruining everyone else's day
- Moving around in crowds comfortably
- Not having to stress about clothes or spend too much on them
- Not dying every time the temp gets above 26 degrees!
- The shower not leaking when I use it
- fitting comfortably in the bath
- Being able to do the garden
- Learning to dance
- Rollercoasters! (although Alton towers fiasco has somewhat scared me of late)
- Easily being able to wash! (TMI but I know some of you will identify with me)
- Hopefully getting rid of my sleep apnoea, foot problems and back problems
- Being able to choose from more yoga postures
- Enjoying going to the beach etc. again
And the biggy:
- Being able to start a family!

Last edited:
Marrying the love of my life in a size ten wedding dress in nine weeks time is what I am currently looking forward to at the moment!

Marrying the love of my life in a size ten wedding dress in nine weeks time is what I am currently looking forward to at the moment!

Love that. :). You must be so excited.

Hi Hun and welcome to this amazing community and good luck with your journey :)

Oh where to start!!

Taking control back over food instead of the food controlling me.

Not having to feel guilty about what I've had to eat and what I want to eat.

Being able to like myself and look in the mirror.

Being able to buy clothes that I actually like and not clothes that just cover me up.

Feeling fit and healthy and being able to take the stairs and do normal activities like walking the dog without feeling breathless.

Not having to take medication for high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

Not feeling like I'm 75 when I'm only 43.

Wanting to get out of bed everyday instead of dreading it.

Not long to wait until I get on the losers bench!!

Xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

There was this coat l bought years ago which I loved and wanted to just fit into it. When I bought it, it got around half my body, not even any hope of getting it to button up. Today I am wearing it and it is swamping me. I never thought a few months ago this would ever be possible. There are lots of things I bought like that and now they are too big. I am pinning and belting and getting some wear out of them. However I am now finally admitting to myself that I need to get some new clothes. For me it is not about the scales, it is about my clothes and how I look. In terms of the scales my weight has hardly shifted but my body shape has changed dramatically.

TBx

Great question.

For me its:-

Being able to look at myself in the mirror
Not being afraid to have a picture taken of me
Not being in a room and always wondering if I'm the biggest person on the room
Not feeling self conscious at the pool
Wanting to be more energetic with the children
Enjoying going clothes shopping ( I am the online and never go in a changing room queen).
And if I'm really honest... bumping into my Ex and him thinking I look great (and then in my head I can stick my two fingers up)

xx

I love some of these!!! I'm sure we can all relate to them too.

I bought some clothes last year when I lost a LOT of weight suddenly (through mental illness) and one item was a superdry jacket size 14 which I cannot even get my arms into now. I can't wait to be able to wear it again! I also still have my Year 11 leavers disco dress still hung up in my wardrobe from 2002, size 12, which I have longed to get back into ever since.

Agree, it's definitely not about the scales, and 100% about how I feel in my body. I want to be comfortable and confident in myself.

Another one is not looking at a gap in a doorway, or on a bench, etc, and thinking "yeah right, there's no way I will fit in there". I hate it when my kids ask me to sit next to them and leave a tiny little gap, and I have to move them around so I can squeeze myself in between them

xx

I want to cross my legs, stop sweating like a pig, walk up the stairs instead of crawl up, go swimming, stop all the pain I'm in, walk my dogs, do the housework/gardening without being in agony, fit my fat bum into all chairs, shrink my boobs as they have taken over my body!, wear all the clothes that are in my wardrobes that haven't fir me for so long, feel comfortable in the nude in front of my hubby, go to the beach without worrying how I'm going to get back up the cliff again!....and many, many more things!

I want to cross my legs, stop sweating like a pig, walk up the stairs instead of crawl up, go swimming, stop all the pain I'm in, walk my dogs, do the housework/gardening without being in agony, fit my fat bum into all chairs, shrink my boobs as they have taken over my body!, wear all the clothes that are in my wardrobes that haven't fir me for so long, feel comfortable in the nude in front of my hubby, go to the beach without worrying how I'm going to get back up the cliff again!....and many, many more things!

*fit not fir!

Things I look forward too post op
Using toilets correctly ?
Being off my copious amount of meds
No more back ache after 25 yards
No heavy panting
Being me
Running and playing with the grand kids
Non fat s*x
Strange fat looks when eating
Not stuping or leaning
Tying my shoes
No sweaty Betty
And last but not least to just breathe !!

Hi All

Some good losses there already :)

For me my NSV are:

1) Going to the school gates and feeling that no one is looking at me and thinking, she's big
2) My kids saying that they prefer the skinny me to the fat me
3) Going swimming in a nice bathing suit
4) Going on the train and walking through the aisles without knocking all the arm rests down (embaressing)
5) Being judged by my abilities not my size
6) Being able to shop shop shop
7) Feeling sexy again haha
8) Going on holiday and not hoping that this will be the time I have to ask for a seat extension
9) having the table come down with room to spare on the train and aeroplane
10) Going to Primark, New Look etc and knowing that I can pick any size I want
11) Being able to buy nice underwear
12) Feeling normal
13) Wearing a pair of short shorts, instead of 3/4 length crop trousers
14) Not being soo obsessed with eating everything and anything that is put in front of me.

Back