• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What did you expect to WLS

BandyEmm

hey all im just being nosey here and wondering:

WHat did you expect from wls?

Has it been better or less than what you expected?

How do you think it could have gone easier?

What advice would you give to a fellow pre-op & post-oper?

:)

What did you expect from wls?
I expected it to help me to be able to eat less and to help me to lose weight a bit easier than just dieting alone.

It has been so much more than I could have ever dreamed of or expected. I thought that by now (eight and half months out) to have lost maybe four stone if I was really lucky and I have lost almost SEVEN stone, so it has helped me to surpass my own dreams already. I expected to feel a bit better than I did but I feel like a whole new woman.

I have to reallllllllly nit pick here to think of anything...but...I would say that it would have been easier if my surgeon had stitched my wounds rather than just glued them. That glue didnt hold too well on the outside and it took a long time for my wounds to heal, if he had just used stitches then I feel that they would have healed quicker and my scars might have been less noticeable.

What advice would you give to a fellow pre-op & post-opper?
DO IT!!! It is normal to be scared but it is soooooooooo worth all of the crap that you have to go through. Be prepared for the emotions that you will have to deal with in the months post-op, you may well have some mood swings and they are totally normal and you are NOT 'cracking up'.
Just go through with it and watch your new life unfold before your eyes.

Steph xx

miles better than i could ever have thought possible, 7 months out and ive lost over 8 stone :D:D

even though i did as much research as possible, got loads of info from the ladies and men on here, ur never prepared mentally, in a way i wish i had counselling before had, also im with steph, we had the same surgeon and i wish i was stiched up instead of him using glue.

What advice would you give to a fellow pre-op & post-oper?
if u want to make the changes and ur 100% serious than i have to words for you do it,
read everyone experinces the good and the bad, personally i hated my bypass at first, i regreted it, hated myself, but over time it passes and when u see the changes u think wtf was i thinking like that for :eek::eek:

i wanna say that the bypass has changed mylife completly and made me healthier, given me confidence and made me feel better in myself and now i love i when people at work instead of saying morning claudia i get morning slim :D:D

I expected to be able to finally control my addiction to food and finally make myself healthier.

It has been so much more than I could have ever hoped for. And I truly mean that. I love the new me. Yes, the smaller clothes are great but I love how healthy I feel. I loved flying to Florida and sitting comfortably in the seat. I love how much easier it is to chase after my kids. I love that I now have such a healthy lifestyle and enjoy working out and eating healthy. The best thing, I hate chocolate now!

If I had listened to the advice I was given post-op. I dehydrated myself often and was very sick. It was completely my fault.

Fight the fight with the NHS if that is how you are funding the surgery or go ahead and pay privately if that is how you are having the surgery. It is the best £10k I could have ever spent. My life is worth living and now I am living it to the fullest!

Be prepared for lots of emotions regarding food afterward. The first few times my family would eat things that I used to love and I couldn't eat it I would cry. I felt so destroyed. My comfort blanket had been taken away and I didn't know how to cope. Give it time and you will learn what works for you. Also, if you are having an RNY... if you accidentally eat something you shouldn't (for me it was Skittles) be prepared to possibly dump and what an awful sensation that is.

I expected to have a tool that would not only control my portions and thus help me lose weight but that would also hopefully get rid of my sweet tooth - the first happened unfortunately my period is due and i feel like i could wrestle the Welsh Rugby Squad for chocolate although i'm resisiting it for fear of dumping and also because i had surgery to be rid of eating crap and get healthy.

It has been better than i expected but purely i think because my bypass has been very kind to me. Having read some stories i think someone 'up there' thinks i'm a good person who deserved a wls break :)

As i said in the previous post i know i've had it easy compared to so many! The only thing that could have made it easier would have been my providers admin being better and the initial doctor not filling my head with ideas of being operated on within 6 months when the reality was almost 12 months...

Read every thread on here ask every question however mundane and be sure of what surgery best suits your eating habits. Be completely honest with your surgeon and dietician, be prepared for a really tough time then it's a blessing if it's not so tough but if it is hard you are ready to take it on xx

Back