• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What do you think about this?

thinnerangela

:cry:I went to a support meeting last night - one lady stood up and told her story - I think she's lost 40 lbs in 5 weeks.

She told of her diet - and it was distinctly lacking in protein - but she will only have just got past the sloppy stage.

Then another lady whispered that the dietician is telling everyone they should be losing 6 to 7 lbs a week following an RNY and that if one isn't losing this then they are not following the rules. :cry:

I've had a different op - but was told that 2lb a week was the optimum loss - as this would be all fat and anything over was muscle/protein being lost - and to try not to lose more than 2 lb a week - I was a BAD girl some weeks and exceeded this.

Not trying to court controversy - just wondered what others thought or had been told.

Love Angela x

Yes tahts what happened to me too - I just thought it odd that the dietician was telling people off and not sticking to the rules at their 6 week post op checks for not lossing 6-7lb a week.

xx

i know different surgeons follow different rules but i think that 6lb a week is expecting too much of anyone. and as for them not following the 'rules' I follow them religiously and i've only lost 3lb in the last 2 weeks. would that make me a failure never mind the other 70 i've lost. just glad that bloke is not my surgeon as i think i would have told him where to shove his scalpel

I'm in total agreement with you Angela, trying to lose 6-7lbs a week is far from healthy and will guarantee to lose muscle mass too. On all the diets we've ever been on in the past we've always been told to aim for a healthy 2-3lbs a week and I don't see why that should be any different following surgery. It's still almost a stone a month, which seems to be about average from reading people's experiences on this site, and an amount which I'd be more than happy to lose myself.

As with every diet initially we can drop some big numbers but the body slows itself down naturally surely?

I think a dietician who expects a 6-7lb loss a week and asks for this needs to answer for themselves professionally. We all have been told at some point that 1 - 2 lb a week is a healthy loss.........

Saying this i'd rather have 3 - 4 lbs lol xx

I think this may be the same one who told me i was over eating for having 800 cals in a day at 5 months post op lol

As with every diet initially we can drop some big numbers but the body slows itself down naturally surely?

This is something I mentioned in an earlier thread about liver shrinkage... basically, whenever we start a diet which involves cutting back on carbs, the body uses up glycogen instead. As glycogen contains a lot of water we lose all this in the first few days (hence the mass peeing marathon lol) so a lot of weight is dropped quite quickly but it's all water and not fat.

The fat burning comes later, usually after a plateau (sound familiar? lol) at which point we assume we've failed so we stop dieting. We comfort ourselves by eating carbs which re-builds glycogen levels, and also the water we'd lost, so our weight goes back to 'pre-diet' level (remember no fat has been lost yet). We then get even more depressed so eat more carbs and that's where we gain the extra weight through yo-yo dieting. We never actually lose the fat (unless we stick at it beyond the initial water loss of course), just gain a bit more each time!

This is a very simplistic overview, and you probably know all this already, but sometimes it's easier to understand when it's written down. There's a more detailed explanation if anyone wants to read it, here...

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/56/1/292S.pdf

Yes Hannah, it is the same dietician!

I was at the meeting as well. I had the woman (who whispered in the group about the expected loss) get in touch with me (about a week before the meeting) clearly distraught and upset that the dietician had told her she was doing it 'wrong' 'cos she hadn't lost 7-8 lbs a week!

I ended up having to explain to her about the idea of Starvation Mode, the water weight concept, the consequences of eating carbs, importance of protein, and how a womans cycle can influence water retention!

The woman who stood up had gone from 115kg's to 95kg's in the 6 weeks post-op! When I spoke to the woman who stood up after, she looked at me as though I was mad when I told her that I hadn't lost weight for 6 weeks (I'm 8 months post-op). She said that she weighed herself EVERYDAY, and that if the scales didn't move the she restricted her intake even further... As far as I could gather she is doing this while still on fluid/sloppies at 6 weeks post-op.

I find this really strange as I have a different dietician to everyone else (who happens to be the dietician in questions BOSS) - and she told me off for having 800Kcal a day at 5 months post-op!

I was talking to the Nurse at the end of the meeting (when it was me, Nurse and the Dietician), and she asked me how it was going; when I said I hadn't lost anything for 6 weeks I got the dirtiest look from the dietician! And when I went on to say that despite this I have gone down 2 full dress sizes in the past 6 weeks she gave me a look that just shouted "yeah right!"!!!!

I have a feeling I will raise this with my dietician when she rings next week - this weight loss advice is upsetting a LOT of people. And it is causing a lot of people to unnecessarily feel like failures. It made me feel like a failure!!!

Steph x

Bl**dy, hell, are they trying to create a load of Belsen-stricken anorexics post-surgery?!!!!! Telling anyone they should be aiming to lose 6-7lbs a week is professional suicide & plain irresponsible, let alone saying that to post-bypass patients. xxx

i was told the average after RNY is 6.5kgs a month or roughly a stone a month to begin with....though you always lose more in the first couple of months

OMG she sounds awful, must be so dis-heartening to hear such things, Sounds like she needs to go suck on a celerey stick and have a think about her "professional larrup" whats shes chatting :mad: makes me so mad

Keep up the fab work girls your doing fantastically xx

Hehe, I know its awful but the Dietician in question does look like all she does all day is suck on celery... There's skinny, and there is size 0 skinny skinny!!!

I feel better now I've gotten that out of my system!

Apologies ;)

Steph x

Hehe, I know its awful but the Dietician in question does look like all she does all day is suck on celery... There's skinny, and there is size 0 skinny skinny!!!

I feel better now I've gotten that out of my system!

Apologies ;)

Steph x

I avoid her like the plague because she makes me feel like crap every time i see her , the way she speaks i really dont know where her info is from because in all the time iv been on here iv never heard of any other dietition giving the same advice:rolleyes:

...the way she speaks i really dont know where her info is from because in all the time iv been on here iv never heard of any other dietition giving the same advice:rolleyes:

She must be from the School of B*llsh*t :D!!!! Perhaps all those years lacking in calories has caused brain atrophy! xxx

Take her with a pinch of salt girls, we are all different and lose at different rates. If you are following the rules 100% stuff her. As long as you are happy with your weight losses forget her. I think your all doing marvelous and a big well done to you all.

Lol! I also remember her saying that the pre-op diet is what we should be aiming to follow for the rest of our lives (as soon as we are able)... Our pre-op diet sheet is a low fat/low carb diet which in itself is what we should be doing - however, I worked it out with my dietician to be about 500Kcal MAX!!! And she expects us to follow this 'forever'! Talk about being unrealistic! No wonder she was telling you off Hannah for eating 800Kcals!

I haven't ever had a session with this dietician, but its just some of the comments that slip out in general conversation that really make me think she looks down on Bariatric patients!

I really don't like to talk bad about the 'professionals' who some on this site say we should follow religiously; but when I have had people crying to me because they have been told they hadn't been doing a good job when they have been following all the advice to the 'T', then maybe there is something wrong!!!

Steph x

I know we should respect our professionals but I thought it was me!!

I'd nearly emailed her to say I wouldn't go to anymore support meetings cos of the way she seemed to glower at me cos I've had an op not routinely done in Halifax/Huddersfield.

I slept on it though I was livid - and happened to see the bariatric nurse at the hospital yesterday when there with my daughter.

SO I asked if I was welcome and was told the issues needing surgery in the first place were the same whatever the surgery.

It is sad when a so-called professional makes people feel like failures - we can do that to ourselves because we've allowed ourselves to become, in my case, super morbidly obese without having salt rubbed into the wound.

Feel so much better starting this - though it may not strictly be PC - cos its made me feel much better and less unwelcome

Thanks everybody

Angela xx

Last edited:
Back