• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What happens on the day of your surgery?

slimbydecember

Hi guys

I'm having my surgery on the 1st Feb and i'm quite nervous!!!

Can anyone give me a run through on what happens on the day of your surgery?

It's just so I know what to expect?

Your go to a waiting room, get called by various people for checks etc, weight etc

then your go back to the waiting room, when yoru time here to get ready your be called in to a room and put your gowns and sexy stockings on then walk to the theatre where they do the general annetsetic then sleep tight :)

Then wake up in recovery, all done :)

thats what happened with me anyway xx

Your go to a waiting room, get called by various people for checks etc, weight etc

then your go back to the waiting room, when yoru time here to get ready your be called in to a room and put your gowns and sexy stockings on then walk to the theatre where they do the general annetsetic then sleep tight :)

Then wake up in recovery, all done :)

thats what happened with me anyway xx
Did you see the surgeon or anaesthetist or just nurses?

you see surgeon, annestics, and nurses,

Each hospital will vary tho x

I was shown straight to private room had my bloods done (again) blood pressure weighed I did have to do urine sample

Then the surgeon came to see me to run through everything and sign consent forms

Then the aneathatist came to see me ask me more questions

Nurses in and out all day

Walked down to theatre room and put under

Oh yeah,don't forget the cap gone knickers and socks!

HTH x

sounds like its a similar routine for most of us, give or take a couple of things. i kept my own knickers on, had a cotton gown on, and the lovely stockings, mine were a deep yucky green, i like green, but this was hideous.lol

Hi guys

I'm having my surgery on the 1st Feb and i'm quite nervous!!!

Can anyone give me a run through on what happens on the day of your surgery?

It's just so I know what to expect?

Just so you dont miss a single thing a shall explain my experience..

7am i arrived at Walsall Manor.. I was ushered into a waiting room as the other patients were still asleep and what not..

So i sat there on my own.. with some twice read magazines.. then i was called into an assessment room, where the nurse told me to put my gown on and some gorgeous blood clotting socks! she gave me a acid tablet and the smallest sip of water..

Around 9am, i saw Mr Miraz.. he was very polite and quiet.. me being from Near Wolverhampton, we like the louder tone of voice.. ha ha..

Anyway.. i had my bloods done.. double checked my details and such not... blah blah blah..

There i stayed until 10am.. when the dietician came and explained to me the after care i'd have to do and the medication id have to take and diet.. and such forth.. then she took me onto the ward to meet some post op's, i met a very nervous lady with lots of drinks and drugs.. she had a bypass but never the less she was polite and we moved on..

I got caught by the aneth, whom took me into the stock room (the ward was manic, they had no bed for me and they had no sheets for the current patients.. this was the only available space) he asked me about myself, illness's and allergies..

Next i met a fellow pre-opper.. she was very nervous and understably going through this on her own and was feeling a little lonely after she had been in over night.. i sat and watched jeremy kyle..

Then my fellow preo-opper was taken to see the post-oppers and came back terrified and upset.. i tried to reassure her.. but to my avail.. she declined surgery.. and that bumped me up the list, no sooner had she changed out of her gown i was being walked to theatre.. holding my gown tight through the corridoors.. ;) you never know who's about! ha ha..

We reached the theatre and i was sat in the room with the drugs on a little stool, they double checked all my details and made sure i was, whom i was.. the assitant to the aneth, was fabulous.. he was just what you needed before surgery, he was bouncy and funny.. lightened the mood a little.. i looked right and there was the clock.. 12:01pm.. i thought to myself.. ''hmmm.. that went fast..'' then i was walked into the actually theatre and i lay down on the bed/table and the aneth told me again what he was going to do.. and i told him he wouldnt be able to fit a cannula in my hand as my skin colouring hides them very well.. and he had to put it in the inside of my arm..

Then surgeon then said, ''im going to give you something that makes you feel like you do, when you've had champagne'' .. ''Okay'' i said.. a few moments later a wash of being relaxed came over me.. ''how do you feel''-aneth.. ''Relaxed''-me.. ''Are you ready?''-aneth.. ''Yup''-me

(last look at the clock 12:15p)

Hope it helps!

Marie x

i had a bath at 6am (i was in overnight as first on the list)
Meds taken
Walked to operating waiting room at 8.15
asked how many pillows I'd like
walked to operating table
laid down with my pillows
inflatable boots put on
injection in hand
woke up in my bed on ward at 12.25

Thanks for the detailed accounts. I had asked my boyfriend to come with me as I thought i'd be given a bed on arrival but maybe I should tell him to go home and wait by myself.

What's an acid tablet??

Thanks for the detailed accounts. I had asked my boyfriend to come with me as I thought i'd be given a bed on arrival but maybe I should tell him to go home and wait by myself.

What's an acid tablet??

Well it depends on the hospital.. My accounts wont be exactly like yours..

Don't worry, your not going to be bouncing off the walls all night..

ha ha..

Its to disperse the acid that builds up in your stomach.. Its all part of preparing for surgery.. Nothing major..

x

I already take omeprazole so maybe it's something like that.

I have no idea what it was, Im sorry.. i just did as i was told! ha ha..

The nurse's words were ''Take this, its for the acid in your stomach''

''Okay'' I said..

Sorry, i could'nt help more..

Marie x

Everybodies account will be similar but different. All I will say is dont worry about it at all - you will be very well looked after and it really isnt a major thing. I will do it for you if you like ;-)
The waiting is the hardest bit
best wishes
JO XX

Back