• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will they cancel op on day of surgery because of weight gain?

slimbydecember

Hi Guys,

I've put on a few pounds over xmas and my op is on 1st Feb. I just wondered if they'd weigh me on the day of my op and cancel it?

Your weight isn't really the issue my darling, it's your liver that has to have shrunk sufficiently, in order for your surgeon to safely perform the operation.

They ask you to lose as much weight as you can to reduce the size of your liver.

If they feel that having not lost weight, it will cause risks to your health during your surgery, they are within their rights to cancel your operation.

But, you have until Feb 1 to do something about it. Hopefully this will be enough time to lose some weight and shrink your liver enough for them to safely perform your operation.

Which pre-op diet are you doing?

xxx

I don't need to start the pre-op diet until the 25th. I have gained some weight over xmas and giving up smoking though.

Do you think I should start it now to shift some weight.

What i'm worrying about is I had my pre-op assessment in November and I have gained a bit since then. Will they weigh me in on my day of surgery and cancel the op because of that?

They will weigh you honey, I don't know whether they will cancel because of a gain, but I do know that your health is their main concern, and if they are even slightly concerned that your liver isn't small enough, they can, and may cancel.

If I were you I would definitely start to try to get some weight off now, it can only go in your favour.

Good luck.

xxx

That's ok, let us know how you get on.

xxx

Reactions: Bev
Hello precious, I'm currently on my pre op and am here if I can work with you to help in any way...

At this stage... I'm not so worried about reducing weight, but reducing the liver which is so important...

It would be so helpful to know which pre op diet you have been recommended.

Keep positive and keep moving forward, your surgery is in sight.

Love and hugs, Bev xxx

I'm on the yogurt diet.

Unlimited low fat yogurts.
Sugar free squash.
Tea and coffee with skimmed milk.
500mls of fruit juice.
Herbal or fruit teas.

I've just been so worried about everything all the way through this process and wouldn't know what i'd do if they cancelled my op on the day of surgery! I'd be devistated :confused:

As already mentioned, they are going to be concerned that your liver size is reduced. My team told me last week that they actually did not proceed with 3 people last year as they had not stuck to the pre-op diet and their liver had not shrunk. So long as this is ok, then I can't see your weight being an issue (unless you were told to lose some before surgery).

It will not do you any harm to lose weight - I have put myself on a really strict diet but won't start the liver reducing one till two weeks before surgery.

People are here to help and support you - you will get there and you don't have long to wait now for your surgery. Good luck with it and keep us all posted.

You have plenty of time to minimise the damage done over Christmas. It might be worth you doing the liver reducing diet for 2wks instead of one. This way you know the extra glycogen your liver stored over Christmas will be reduced and hopefully, you will drop off the weight gained. I got told that if my weight was up on the day of the op it would be cancelled as it would be an indication of lack of commitment and be an indication that the liver would not have shrunk enough. On the day of my op I wasn't actually weighed. However, that was because they could see that I had lost weight.

Hope all goes well with your pre-op diet.

Rebirth

how do they know if you've managed to shrink your liver
They can only tell when you start the op, so those people were brought round and had not had their surgery.

Don't worry about that part, if you follow the liver reducing diet they will know by the state of your liver that you have, so there should not be any issue.

You have a couple of weeks to try and lose a bit of weight before your op, and any weight you lose can only help you.

Good luck

I'm recording my meals on a thread which is helping, just about to put my food for today... why not join us tomorrow?

Love and hugs xxx

Back