• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What are the hidden extras when you go private?

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
As you may have seen from my other thread, going private may be an option although I'm going through the appeals process first.

So I've been reading the websites of the various providers and had some info emailed to me. Some of them seem to offer a package which includes everything. But does it really?

In an email from the WLS group, they mentioned that an initial consultation with the surgeon would cost between £180-200. I've also read a review of landauer cosmetic surgery where the patient was told to take £300 cash to the appointment with her surgeon, which sounded rather dodgy.

So what extras are there other than the obvious like phone calls from the hospital room etc? Do you have to pay for pre-op tests seperately for example?

Dunno, I was NHS but in a private hospital, dont think i was treated any different to the ones paying cash.......I used the phone, they brought me things so i would imagine the difference would only be obvious i you know what hospital etc your pct would pay for xx

As you may have seen from my other thread, going private may be an option although I'm going through the appeals process first.

So I've been reading the websites of the various providers and had some info emailed to me. Some of them seem to offer a package which includes everything. But does it really?

In an email from the WLS group, they mentioned that an initial consultation with the surgeon would cost between £180-200. I've also read a review of landauer cosmetic surgery where the patient was told to take £300 cash to the appointment with her surgeon, which sounded rather dodgy.

So what extras are there other than the obvious like phone calls from the hospital room etc? Do you have to pay for pre-op tests seperately for example?

With Surgicare and The Hospital Group; the price they quote is the price you pay - it includes all the tests before you go into hospital, bloods etc. Also with Surgicare you don't pay for the consultation with the surgeon - Mr Khan consulted me thrice - twice in person and once on a very very very late night call when I was in a panic about what op to go for. :eek:. Mr Khan also saw me at his private Bupa clinic for free too ... so I guess that counts as another consultation.

With BMI you pay for the consultation, which should you go for the operation it is knocked off the balance.

I don't remember paying Mr Sigursson's consultation fee with THG either.

I went through the WLS Group and the price I paid was for the complete package, I was not charged any extras , however I do know of someone that was charged extra for their consultation with the WLS Group.

when i initially had a private consultation with Sahw Somers at Chichester it was £150 but after that i got NHS funding so not sure of the rest

Went with The Hospital Group, everything is in with the price. To see the consultant at the initial appointment was £50 that you pay on the day - but it is knocked off your whole package.

It is as well to find out what you can from as many different places, because some ask for a fee then charge extras for band fills etc;

Hope this helps a little.

Best wishes Kat x

Hi Yorkiegal
I'm a Landauer patient and can't fault them. I paid £150 for my consultation with Mr Ammori £100 for him and £50 for Spire for my blood tests. I did pay this by cheque on the day of my consultation so really would not have lost anything if i had cancelled before hand. I paid 10k for my bypass, half for mr Ammori and half for Spire. I paid Mr Ammori's fees just before i had my surgery then the remainder was paid to the hospital on admission. I have also received two years after care and have had bloods taken so far once for no extra cost. I can highly recommend them x

Surgicare

Hiya,

I had a consultation with surgicare. Got an appt within 3 days of making the initial call. It was free, no obligation. Even if I didn't go ahead I wasn't charged for the consultation. Some places do charge if you decide not to sign up. I went to there Birmingham clinic, had a great experience, saw the surgeon, the dietician and the patient co-ordinator who has actually had a bypass herself. The price included lifetime care, basically once you were there patient you would always be there patient. I was going to have the op i would choose them no hesitation.

thanks guys. there's a lot of reading to do. my nearest private hospital seems to take people via several different providers at different prices lol.

I had my bypass directly through Mr Ammori at the Spire six weeks ago.

The initial consultation is £150 but that is added to the invoice his secretary sends to you for payment just before surgery. The invoice was in two parts - half payable to the Spire and half to Mr Ammori. The total was £9650 and that included the £150 consultation fee. I get 2 years aftercare and there are no other costs.

i Was with WLS group and the consultation was included in the price, it was a package and it was £8995

I'm with Allie and Karen on this. I went through Marcus at Landauer who was very helpful. It was £150 for the initial consultation and £9500 for the op with Mr Ammori (down in price since Allie's). I had no test fees etc to pay for.
JUst been for my first check up and nothing to pay there and will be looked after for the next 2 years.
Only thing to account for is hotels, journey costs etc. as if you have far to go it can really mount up.

Back