• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What happens if.....

Su2ie

......you lose too much weight while waiting for surgery?

I know at seminar the surgeon said it doesn't matter, it's your starting weight that makes you eligible.

My starting bmi was about 38 but due to co-morbidities and diet history was accepted for surgery. I've lost about a stone and half so far, bringing my bmi to about 35-36.

I'm feeling pretty motivated at the moment and losing steadily. I'm still waiting for endoscopy then will have to see the surgeon again so probably up to another year to wait to surgery. I'd be pretty pleased if I manage to lose the weight before then but would they still operate if I was a size 14 with a bmi less than 30 for example?

Of course if I lose the weight it begs the question why would I still want the surgery! I've lost the weight a few times before only to end up putting it all back on (as most of us do) and am looking for a permanent solution.

Confused :(

Sorry can't answer that one maybe if you speak to your bariatric team tell them your concerns atleast you will know from the horses mouth so to speak. I personaly lost about a stone pre op I dont know if different areas have different rules etc. ood luck with endoscopy x

I went private but was told that if bmi went below 35 they would not do the bypass, I was miles away so didn't need to worry lol

That's good a private provider is so conscientious and doesn't just take your money! Perhaps that's a poor perception I have of private providers but it is reassuring.

While I'm feeling pretty optimistic now I'm only into week 3 of a new effort, there's no guarantee how long it will last!! I guess I'm just wanting to keep my options open :) Somehow this time feels different so far though. My husband, having been diagnosed with high cholesterol, is on a real health kick and he's one of those 'naturally thin' people with loads of restraint! I'm hoping he's rubbing off on me :)

time will tell I guess - I've got loads of time to fall off the diet wagon before my next appointment, let alone until surgery!!

Back