• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What is dumping?

I have no idea, as I have not yet exprienced it. I can tell you that apparently you are very poorly, dizzy, sickness, hot sweats and diarrhea. Like I say I am fortunate to have not experienced this yet, but then again I have not had anything sweet or highly processed. Sorry I can't be more help.

Emma xx

You must listen to your team and not rush. I tried a little low fat , low sugar peanut butter with some milk on Saturday morning thinking it would be a good source of protein, oh boy!!
I dumped big time (my low blood pressure didn't help mind and now off my medication) I was sooo poorly, cold sweats,shakes even passed out, lasted an hour and then I slept for 3 hours!! Gripes lasted over 48hrs

The above is taken from a post by one of our recent by passers who has done brilliantly up to now so as you can see, dumping cannot always be avoided but is something we should all try to ... not good xx :(:(

In many ways I am lucky when use dumped I've only gad the stomach cramps & upset tummy very similar to the IBS cramps & loose bowels I would get from stress situations. Occasionally I get the sweats & tiredness after eating but not so often. But innocent looking foods can trigger an attack as much as the obvious ones sometimes it's a build up rather than a particular food. It's not nice & something we should all be prepared for as it can catch us unawares at any time, so is something unless you are very lucky you will experience at least once post-op.

Dumping syndrome is a problem that occurs in some patients after having gastric bypass surgery. It is the result of food passing too quickly into the small intestine. It is typically induced when the patient eats certain foods, such as sweets or certain carbohydrate sources (such as simple carbohydrates like sugar and some starches). It can also occur as a result of eating too much at one time.

Some symptoms of dumping syndrome include:
  • nausea or queasiness
  • a sense of fullness accompanied by discomfort
  • cramping
  • diarrhea
  • general weakness
  • profuse sweating
  • vomiting
  • heart palpitations (an increase in heart rate)

I see. That's made it much clearer now, thanks guys!

I'm still waiting on the letter from the Hospital to confirm my assessment appointment- it's been two weeks now and I'm getting edgy! Hehe xxx

Back