• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What is the feeling of fullness?

Tinsel

Hi all, ok I'm 4 months down the line from being banded and still learning!! I've just had half slice of toast and it sat for a good 20 mins kind of at the top of my band (I'm assuming this means my pouch?) so I left the rest of my toast, the feeling has now gone I don't feel full anymore, still hungry but I'm really going to try and eat sensibly, is this the feeling we are all supposed to be feeling?

Hi all, ok I'm 4 months down the line from being banded and still learning!! I've just had half slice of toast and it sat for a good 20 mins kind of at the top of my band (I'm assuming this means my pouch?) so I left the rest of my toast, the feeling has now gone I don't feel full anymore, still hungry but I'm really going to try and eat sensibly, is this the feeling we are all supposed to be feeling?

It's trial and error for everyone. That's not how feeling full should feel - sometimes the band does not make us feel full. We have to control our portions. What the band should do is keep you full for longer and keep you satisfied with loss food

It's still early days for you and maybe at this point toast was just a toast to far. You should avoid that uncomfortable feeling. Long term you could damage your band. Just stick to the rules. Small bites of food, chew for 20 seconds, wait for 20 seconds then another small bite of food in a tea plate size portion - stop eating after 20 mins

Good luck xx

I would say that's not the feeling your aiming for..... as Kirsty says its different for everyone, as everyone has a different way of looking at their bands....for me running my band is exactly the same as not being banded (of course different in portion sizes lol).... any time I feel my band, or i'm uncomfortable... I know I've gone overboard...either too much or too fast..... I think there's a common misconception that a band make's you a small tummy and that feeling full is how its meant to be..... but for me its just a physical hurdle to get my food past.... knowing its there slows me down enough to stimulate the vagus nerve and 'if' i'm doing it right I know when i'm satisfied and stop before that feeling of being stuffed or uncomfortable.... if your not doing the slow eating 20 20 20 then your just bypassing the job your band is meant to do ..... I would say that bread is one of the worst lol my hospital warns you before op that its may be one of those things you will have to give up!! Of course if your over tight anything slightly dense will take longer to pass by your band ..... food sitting above the band is not the objective ...the process of your food bouncing up and down stimulating the magic nerve IS :)

I found a fascinating article a few weeks back and did promise to re post.... I will make a point of digging it out and re post :) interesting reading that's for sure..... someone remind me if I forget LOL

Keep posting hunni ..... its a huge learning curve.... keep asking those questions and together we can all learn new hints and tips along the way x x x x x take care :)

Honestly I can't thank you enough, you are so right it is such a learning curve, I decided on the band as I want to train myself back to eating correctly and I felt personally a bypass was too drastic (for me) I've then swung from wishing i'd just gone for the bypass to not! So the only way forward is too get my head together, I think I will get a tiny amount taken out so I can enjoy my fruit and salads again, I've got fitness pal app now to start recording my intake

Phew so tough isn't it!

Perfect hunni.... I think its easy to keep getting fills which in turn makes it harder to eat normal foods....its not really the objective .... to eat nice healthy foods but smaller amounts is how it should be..... of course its still all s
o easy to eat those things that slip down easy ie choc, crisps, ice cream lol but that's where the head comes in (or not in my case right now LOL) for me the band was about learning to eat right rather than the harshness of the bypass..... I still wanted some kind of normality ....eating is a big part of life for me, having the band makes that possible..... it does its job perfectly well if you follow the rules and re train yourself :) google how the band works and it makes it simpler to understand.... sometimes i'm not sure everyone who has a band understands just exactly how it works.... its never going to stop you eating (unless its too tight) its never going to stop you craving foods nor binge eating..... but it will help control your portions, slow down your eating and give you that helping hand...once your away the loss gives you the momentum to keep going too...... use it to its full potential its amazing when were working in harmony with our new tools :)

Yes it still needs us to have some amount of control over our eating.... if we continue to eat high value food we never will lose....in fact even gain..... its takes just 3500 cals to gain a lb I think I worked that out to 5 Jaffa cakes a day extra than what our bodies need LOL so its a very fine line...... I use a fitbit so can roughly see what goes in v what my output is

Your in an awesome place for hints and tips and tons of info too so stick around and good luck.... I will dig out that article sometime (sorry head like a sieve most days LOL)

it is tough but so worth while eh :) i'm now 11 1/2 stone down from my heaviest 9 stone since banding and i'm still empty lol I stick to the rules (when my head allows) I've had a complete standstill for months now, but because im not completely following the rules..... so it just shows its possible :)

good luck sweetheart x x x x

Back