• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what is the pre op diet ?

pandora

finding my way again !
does it differ from patient to patient , or different procedure ???

it's a liver reduction ready for operation.
i've been put on the milk diet, but if you are diabetic you can't do this ;~}

the milk diet is ok if u are diabetic ive asked about it as im diabetic to
There are 2 liver reducing diets milk/yogurt one preferred but there is a food option for diabetics (mainly those on insulin) and lactose intolerant.

Hi Pandora

The pre op diet is a diet to shrink the liver prior to surgery - to make the surgery as safe as possible (with the added benefit of kick starting the weight loss)

it usually lasts 2 weeks, although I have seen some hospitals put patients on it for longer, and there is usually a choice of a milk based diet, or a low cal/low carb diet.

Your own hospital should give you a leaflet explaining the diet in detail.

just a quick point ,the food diet is for peeps wiith gall bladder problems too,, as milk, even skimmed can cause an attack , also my hospital , wouldnt let a diabetic do the milk diet ,think it just varies from provider to provider , best to stick to your hospitals advice,,good luck to all who are on their pre ops , i know how hard it is , but oh so worth it! xx

Wls set me fruit n veg, oxo, egg and chicken/fish but when i asked happily sent me the milk and yog diet as that what my surgeon likes...I've tried the wls food diet for 3 days and it's tough as can't even have a tea/coffee with a drop of milk in....I'm considering doing the milk diet for next few days, at least then I curb hunger with milky coffees....either way and whichever I choose I can't see it doing me any harm....all I'm doing is varying it every few days to keep me going...thoughts anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back