• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What is the track record of your surgeon?

Does anyone know where I could find the statistics about how many wls operations specific surgeons have carried out, and what their complication rates are?
If you look at sites like BOSPA they tell you to do your research on the surgeons before making your decision, but I can't seem to find the info.
I'm especially interested in the number of gastric bypass operations Mr. Khan and the team at Walsall Manor have done, so if anyone can put numbers to the name I'd be really grateful,
Thanks.

Last edited:
Not sure on this one When I knew who I was referred to I googled him (and he did not feel a thing lol)....I also saw so many people on here had had him and spoke highly of him...When the PCT agreed funding and they wanted me to go to a surgeon in Macclesfield who I did not know anything about I fought to keep Mr Ammori and I remind him of this each time I see him lol...hope you find your info, I am sure someone will be along soon to advise...xx

Not sure on this one When I knew who I was referred to I googled him (and he did not feel a thing lol)....I also saw so many people on here had had him and spoke highly of him...When the PCT agreed funding and they wanted me to go to a surgeon in Macclesfield who I did not know anything about I fought to keep Mr Ammori and I remind him of this each time I see him lol...hope you find your info, I am sure someone will be along soon to advise...xx

Thanks, CG

I am currently with the Surgeon Mr Dobbins from the Huddersfield/Elland (West Yorkshire) area.

I too 'googled' his name to try and find out more about both his mortality and success rates. I found out that he had a patient a few years ago who died after a gastric bypass. This is the article I found:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4214860.ece

Although it states she did not die 'on the table' but after when she contracted a bacterial infection (thought to be MRSA, although this is disputed). Officially she died from complications arising from surgery.

There is <1% risk of death with a gastric bypass. Do not be fooled by those who stress that anyone dying within one year of surgery has is included in these rates. YES they are, but this does not detract from the fact that this operation may kill you. You have to be realistic and decide for yourself whether this risk, however small, is worth the end result. For me, and countless others it is.

This mortality rate for Bariatric Surgery is across the board and it does not apply to one surgeon or another. It applies to them all.

Personally, I believe that this death, however tragic, has made Mr Dobbins a better and more careful surgeon who is very concerned with pre-op health. Hence him sending all applicants for Weight Loss Surgery for all available tests before he will accept you on the waiting list. I would rather have him than a Surgeon who will operate on anyone regardless of the risks involved.

I'm now off to bed but will see if I can find anything tomorrow evening for you xx

I had a good look whilst at work (Im a librarian) and managed to find these 3 references...hes a hard guy to get info on

www.walsallhospitals.nhs.uk/Library/cascade/Cascade%20%2091%20August%202006%20A4%20Small.pdf

http://www.bospa.org/Surgeons.aspx?regionid=9&location=Walsall&surgeonid=174

www.walsallhospitals.nhs.uk/Services/SurgicalServices/Bariatric.asp

Tho I wouldnt worry as bad news always travels faster than good and if anyone had serious issues with him it would be plastered all over the net!

You can always phone up your provider and ask them the exact same question...I wouldnt think they would have a problem telling you how many surgerys he does a year etc etc....

I had a good look whilst at work (Im a librarian) and managed to find these 3 references...hes a hard guy to get info on

www.walsallhospitals.nhs.uk/Library/cascade/Cascade%20%2091%20August%202006%20A4%20Small.pdf

http://www.bospa.org/Surgeons.aspx?regionid=9&location=Walsall&surgeonid=174

www.walsallhospitals.nhs.uk/Services/SurgicalServices/Bariatric.asp

Tho I wouldnt worry as bad news always travels faster than good and if anyone had serious issues with him it would be plastered all over the net!

You can always phone up your provider and ask them the exact same question...I wouldnt think they would have a problem telling you how many surgerys he does a year etc etc....

Thanks for the info, Wanda :) xx

Back