• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What questions to ask at first consultation

Perissa

I'm getting nervous and excited about meeting the consultant for the first time on Wednesday.

I am compiling a list of questions to ask him.

What did you ask and what was the reply?

I made a list of things but mostly to say how I felt about my weight gain etc not what would happen next. I ended up not using the list at all because it just did not go that way. I went in the room with the consultant and he asked straight away what medication I had taken in the past to lose weight and then asked what happened with them. It all went so very fast that I came out rather shell shocked. :eek: I was waiting for ages for his letter which he said would go over what we had discussed but 4 weeks later I called to discover it had gone missing in the post. Just ask the things that you are most concerned about, everyone will have different questions, mine should of been what happens if the PCT refuse funding....I could kick myself for not asking that lol...Linda x

I already have a letter from the PCT approving funding so one less problem!!

The only thing which I really don't think I could do is the injections. It seems that not everyone has to do them so fingers crossed (actually everything crossed) I won't have to do them.

Hi Perissa,

I don't know anyone who hasn't had the heparin injections, but maybe I've missed someone!

I am extremely needle phobic and couldn't do mine. It was arranged that hubby would do them and they showed him how in the hospital. But when it came to it, I couldn't let him (well he's not a nurse!) so i ended up going to our local walk in centre once a day for the first few and to my gp's nurse for the rest. They were fine about it, and it made it MUCH easier for me to cope. It's only one a day for 5 days after discharge and it really is in your best interest to have them.

If you do plan on getting a nurse to do them make sure you have something in writing from the hospital to say you are to have them etc.

I could let a nurse do them I just don't think I could do them to myself. I CERTAINLY would not let my cack handed, ham fisted hubby do them. You should see his attempt at DIY!!!

My colleague had to inject himself into his stomach - makes me go all funny just thinking about it. I might be able to do an arm or a leg but not into my stomach EEEEEEWWWWWWWUUUUUUUU.

Its top of my list! Along with

Gallbladder - remove or not

Dumping

Asthma

How many operations has he performed - open and laparoscopicly.

Death rates

Pre op diet (HATE milk!!!)

yeah it does but i had a high count and that can cause u 2 clot more and bruise more hence the heparin xxx

Hi this is the first I have heard about injections!! Can someone advise me why, when and who??? I hate injections and have noone to do them for me.....Linda x :eek:

yeah it does but i had a high count and that can cause u 2 clot more and bruise more hence the heparin xxx

So did you have to have them in your stomach?

Does it hurt? I mean hurt more then a normal injection. I can deal with pain, have a very high pain threshold as I'm in constant pain its the squeamish factor!!!

its a very fine needle and you dont even feel it. Look at it this way without the surgery and heprin injections for maybe a week you sre increasing yr risk of type 2 diabetus. if you develop this it is usually controlled with diet and medication but for some they require insulin. what would you do if you were one of the unlucky ones who needed insulin injections several times a day.
I dont like needles but am looking at it from the point of its a short term evil to a long term means.
hc

Really! I would have thought that it was a stonking great big thing to get into your stomach.

Perhaps I've misinterpreted what he said. When he said stomach I took that to mean literally into your stomach. (He's not here to ask at the moment). Perhaps he meant into the tummy muscles?

In that case its not nearly so bad!!!

I had visions of a 6 inch long needle and lots of poking!

No its tiny and just goes into the tummy wall/muscle. dont think with my rolls of fat it would of got near my muscle had surgery the other month on my shoulder and had to have 1 then.
take care

Hun stop gettting yourself in a spin.... find out from the consultant if you will need them... not all consultants do that.... like i said me and georgina didnt have to do them!!!

Back