• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What shall I pack/prepare?

Rebirth

Hi all, I know in the past I have read a lot of posts where people have wanted to know what the most useful thing was to take into hospital. I'm having my op on Saturday and wondered if anyone has any advice. Also, apart from cooking soups and freezing them (and food for the family), is there anything else you found useful to prepare or have in at home prior to your admission to hospital?

love and thanks in advance

Rebirth xx

There is a sticky post on this Rebirth, but:

to have in house post-op : selection of NAS squashes, etc, sugar free ice-pops, Deflatine (for wind) NAS milk shake syrup, Marvel (to enhance protein content)
I've found a great way to drink/sip is to use a toddler feeder beaker! (no wind + it stays covered), frozen berries in freezer (to blend)

and to take in:
loads of knickers, nightwear and sanitary towels
dry mouth spray
favoured water/NAS squash
flip-flops for shower
ipod
wet wipes for quick freshen-up

Thanks Charis, I couldn't find the sticky but it's always worth updating. The sanitary towels and wet wipes will be very useful as I know cycles can change under stress.

hi rebirth..

glad u posted this,
in my bag at minute I have..
1 nightie(is this enough I wonder)
knickers
towel
dressing gown
slippers
book
nad juice
dry mouth spray
wipes
toiletries
and a sports bottle to drink out of
I hope I have everything xx

Only other thing i'd think of ladies is a couple of quids worth of silver for the public phone, just in case you have a problem with signals etc.... Not that you'll be wanting to go walkabouts looking for one!

Good luck with your ops xx

Thanks for this post. I was going to post asking the same.

But really - sanitary towels? Most of us will have a period because of the op???

Karen
Loads of people have posted to say take sanitary towels as they have come on just before or after the op...so i'll be taking supplies!

Thanks for this post. I was going to post asking the same.

But really - sanitary towels? Most of us will have a period because of the op???

Yes, I did on second day post-op! That's why towels rather than tampons....couldn't have managed tampons with drips, wounds etc! It seems to be very common,; happened to all the ladies on my ward.

hi rebirth..

glad u posted this,
in my bag at minute I have..
1 nightie(is this enough I wonder)
knickers
towel
dressing gown
slippers
book
nad juice
dry mouth spray
wipes
toiletries
and a sports bottle to drink out of
I hope I have everything xx

Emma I took 4 nighties and it wasn't enough! I have stress incontinence....add that to lots of vomiting.......= wet nighties and knickers.:(:sigh::eek: better to take too much in than feel embarrassed and have to wear horrible hospital gown!

Thanks all of you for the information. I'm sat here making out a list of things I need to buy to take in with me. So far I've packed 3 nighties, I think I might have to buy some more, but don't really want to waste money on things that I won't need for much longer...

Rebirth

Hi, this might not be of use as i had a band , saturday gone in my overnight bag i carried:
wet wipes
toiletries bag
own towel
night dress & PJ's
slippers
books

i must say i used the wipes and pj's did not read, drinks and all, were supplied, for my dry mouth i just brushed my teeth as this made me feel better for getting up.

truthfully didnt need the books too out of it and had a telly as was drowsy alot

I would pack then take out half of the stuff as you won't use it!!!!

Good luck with your op!! You must be so excited, as well as probably being terrified at the same time!! It is a weird rollercoaster week of emotions but its the best decision ever for most people, including myself!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ohhh, just thought - make sure your slippers are slip on, because its not easy to reach you feet straight after the op!

thanks

Ohhh, just thought - make sure your slippers are slip on, because its not easy to reach you feet straight after the op!

Thanks for that Jacquie, I find it difficult to bend at the best of times.

I would pack then take out half of the stuff as you won't use it!!!!

Good luck with your op!! You must be so excited, as well as probably being terrified at the same time!! It is a weird rollercoaster week of emotions but its the best decision ever for most people, including myself!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At the moment I feel quite calm about it all. I think everything will change on Friday or Sat. I am so looking forward to being on the losers bench. I just hope I'm not the 1:200!!

Rebirth

I'm due to have my surgery 21st sept already started getting my bag ready, it was my hand luggage bag its now gone to a suitcase!!
so far in mine i have:

3 Nighties
2 Robes
1 Pair of slippers
1 Pair of flip flops
8 pairs of Knickers
San Towels
A Bath Sheet
10 Ribena Really Light
NAS Squash
Dry Mouth Spray
Shower Gel

Still more to get, i feel like i'm going on holiday!!

Charis - Can't believe it after we were discussing this. I started this morning - and I only finished 3 day ago :eek:

It must be the drastic reduction in food.

Back