• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what sort of pain to expect after gastric sleeve

irishlady2014

Hi all, i am having a gastric sleeve tuesday i am enjoying reading thru the threads on the site but the last minute neves are creeping up...... and at this moment i am very worried about the post op pain, could anybody whos been there share how they got on.

I am asthmatic and i keep thinking what if i have an attack when they wake me up as i know the anesthetic is hard on your breathing ..... or how bad can i ecpect the pain to be ?

Any feedback positive or negative (lets face it everything doesnt always go perfectly) would be greatly appreciated.

Im hoping its not as bad as when my knackered disc in my back pops out and hits my sciatic nerve..god thats a pain like child birth im sure, in fact at least with child birth you know its going to end. Im anticipating major pain so anything else will be a bonus!! If im not red in the face and panting then its not that bad...i will let you know Tuesday night if im conscious!!

Pmsl karina .... i have 2 discs out myself and they have been on the sciatic nerve for weeks only calming lately after an esi injection so i know that pain only tooo well ...... i am thinking it will be worce than that but cant compare labour have no kids yet ... what r we like eh lol

Hi canisani what are you having done and when ? Will keep you posted anyway ...... once back online myself and karina are having sleeves on tuesday

I'm asthmatic too, I woke up okay :) the wind pain is what I found hurt the most - my right shoulder and my chest area hurt so bad, and once I was up and able to walk (shuffle at first lol) it dispersed faster :) do not be frighted of burping and trumping while people are around. It NEEDS to come out. It gets more painful if you hold it in. And then once I was up and about mainly just one of my wounds hurt, and it was my biggest on my right and it was in the crease of my tummy area. I had to hold it up as I moved as it felt like it was pulling down too much. Also if you need to cough, get a pillow to hold over you tummy! That made me wince! We are all different though. Remember, you're allowed pain meds, so ask for them if you need them! Good luck, and we'll be waiting for you on the losers bench!! Hope this helps xx

Thanks xkirsty! Gives me a heads up.

Sam, i found the Osteopath after years of a bad back from horse riding, oh my god they are miracle workers..my advice if you have a disc problem in the sciatic nerve is go to the Osteo, i promise you wont feel relief like it after a few sessions.
As for children i havent got any either but ive seen it in TV! Looks pretty bad!!

Thanks xkirsty really helpful tips glad you got on ok i must admit it will feel weird burping .... esp in public but if it has to be done i guess the nurces .... are used to it.

And thanks karina i will defo look in to seeing an ostheopath once im back on my feet ..... iv watched one born n all those myself iv a masive fear of it but thats a next step for another day once this lard is shiffted....

Thanks xkirsty really helpful tips glad you got on ok i must admit it will feel weird burping .... esp in public but if it has to be done i guess the nurces .... are used to it. And thanks karina i will defo look in to seeing an ostheopath once im back on my feet ..... iv watched one born n all those myself iv a masive fear of it but thats a next step for another day once this lard is shiffted....

I don't mind the burping. I have never said sorry so much at a table while others are eating though lol it's trumping that I dislike lol but luckily, most of my wind likes to come via a burp or 3 lol x

I'm having the sleeve I'm getting it done abroad, will be getting it done end of September early October, I can't wait hun xx

Lol xkirsty i hope i will be the same dont mind burps as much as the other end lol funny tho i wonder why they dont jst suck the gas out when finished maybe they do i never taught about it much until now

I had my sleeve two weeks ago tomorrow, and I'm stunned at how relatively pain-free it has been. The first few days, it was tough to move in bed, turning over was awful. I also couldn't lay on my left side at all, it was painful.

However, I was refusing anything but paracetamol in hospital after the night of the operation, and after I was discharged I didn't touch the codeine I was given, and only took a half dose of paracetamol, and not on a regular schedule.

On the way home from hospital, my friend who picked me up and I made a stop in the shops, which tired me out but I was fine.

I was really floored at how well I felt!

Good luck with your op!!!

Girls I was banded on Wednesday. I know it is a different procedure but the number of incisions is the same. Our bodies are inflated with gas just the same

I ended up having surgery in three areas during my op (Karina, not posted this in my diary as didn't want to worry you or Sharon but I think it might actually alleviate some of your concerns)

The surgeon took away some patches of endometreousus , and some adhesions from a previous op site around my umbilical area while he was in doing my band. I had my band inserted. In addition, I had some complications during my surgery. The surgeon cut a main artery in my liver, I had a bleed and had to have a repair, leaving me with metal clamps left inside. He told me he had to do more cutting than in a normal band op. AND THIS IS WHY I WAS IN SUCH PAIN WHEN I WOKE UP as there was a lot going on during my op.

So. I have three sites of potential pain. The worst of the pain (though not as bad as I expected it to be) was on waking, but I was administered morphine within a couple of minutes of coming round and needed no further pain relief that day. The following day I had two doses of co co-codomol I have had nothing since

The worst pain I am feeling at present is a hot burning pain where my endometreousus was removed. And it's not bad enough to need pain relief

I hope this reassures you girls

So if you have an experience in anyway similar to mine you will all be ok. Cause all in all the trauma to my body was pretty extensive

The clamps sound lovely...i hope you dont set the beepers off at the airport when we all go to vegas, i will be so embarrassed!! X

Good luck to you too Hun, you'll be fine and we will be sitting on that bench today, just worried about the psychological test, gonna be nerve racking going abroad. But I've got to do it, too expensive over here xoxox

Jesus kursty ..... what an ordeal hope your on the mend now .... wow about the liver thanks for sharing your story tho

Karina whats this i hear abt vegas ...... count me in pmsl

Canisani whare are you going for it? I know its sooooo expensive im in ireland and its over 15k everyware hear i was going to the uk but i was a bit worried abt aftercare being so far away ..... long story short i took a loan for it. Dont worrie abt psych test i got so worked up over mine i had all potential answers in my head incase they they taught i was "crazy" (which im not by the way lol) you will be amaized how easy it is its not bad at all and most of these psychs are used to dealing with ppl with numerous problems surrounding food... and they know how important the surgery is for us.

When we hit our goal weight we are going to vegas..a bit like the hangover film mixed with oceans eleven!!

The only pain I had was the referred wind pain in my right side & shoulders. Not so bad thru the day but awful at night (isn't everything always worse at night!!). You need to get up and move about as much as you can as soon as you can. Unfortunately I was pretty bed bound because of a post op bleed which left me very dizzy and in need of a blood transfusion. I took tramadol & paracetamol in hospital but didn't take anything once home and the pain had diminished significantly.

I don't regret a single second even in the very early days post op!

Good luck x

Back