• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What weight do you have to be?

Daisyhappy!

Hi all,
I'd really appreciate any help/advice on this!
I'm based in Ireland and I'm 5ft 5in and 18st 12lbs, I rang the hospital group regarding a bypass but was told my BMI was too low-never heard that in my life before!- for a bypass but that I could have the band. So I've been reading lots about the band and I'm coming around to the idea but I just want to make sure, is there really no chance of the bypass (I'm going private) and also does anyone know why you can't have it with a lower BMI? You've all done so amazingly well!!!

Hi Honey ... I can't answer your question but someone will be along soon that can ... I thought if you went private you could decide your own fate, but I don't base this on any solid info. xxx :)

Aw you're my little reply angel tonight :) thanks a mill! Yeah I would have thought it'd be up to you once you're going private but I suppose they know best and I will discuss all options at my consultation, eeek! Cannot believe I'm considering this so strongly, I just felt a switch click the other day, I cannot go on like this!x

Just keep reading on here & any doubts you may have will either be resolved or you will change your mind completely. It takes a long time to get fat so take your time deciding what is best to get slim ... hugs to you. honey xxx :):)

I am the same height and was the same weight as you,I was bypassed on the nhs!Cant see why they wouldnt do you if you are paying.I have seen people with just a few stone to lose get it done privately.

going by their webste:-

Q: How do I know if I'm suitable for gastric bypass surgery?
Usually patients most suitable to have a gastric bypass are those with a BMI in the range of 40 to 60+. However surgery is dependent upon a bariatric surgeon's opinion. All of our weight-loss surgery patients have an in depth consultation to discuss the most relevant procedure for them,prior to surgery.

you meet the criteria ;)

Aw thanks all for the replies. I've actually been researching the band quite a lot and have decided that it's more for me, a friend of mine has had the bypass and done AMAZINGLY well, as have lots of you but I'm a bit too wimpish for it tbh.
It's very quiet around the band forum though :( Consultation on 30th of this month, does anyone know when going private roughly how long a wait is there for a date?

Hi

There are guidelines in the UK for who is suitable for WLS based on BMI (sorry not sure if you are north or southern Ireland) and the private companies tend to be slightly more relaxed with these.

It does seem odd that they said your BMI was too low for a bypass - over the phone without meeting and discussing things even more so!?

There are a fair few of us banders who actively post but its midnight now so Im off to bed! x

Oh thanks guys! Mazza I should be off to bed too but I'm literally bubbling over with excitement that I've actually 100% decided this is more me and for the first time in years I have complete faith in myself to change my ways and comply with the band fully. Wow I have positivity coming out my pores!!x

Hiya I was banded 13 days after consultation, they need you to wait 2 weeks whilst you do the special pre op diet xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back