• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lap-Band When Can I exercise?

NT1977

I am currently 3 weeks post op and although I have been walking I am dying to get back to Zumba and badminton. I have healed very well and my scars are all fine, is it too soon to start either of these? I am so full of energy and still having trouble sleeping which I think may be due to me feeling so energised?

My husband told me to do housework to burn the energy but it's just not as much fun :p

Ha ha, nice try husband lol

I would just double check with your provider, especially with badminton.

I started out walking at first but was advised to refrain from weights or anything that twisted too much until after my six week check up.

This is in my own guidelines for exercise . . .

Gentle walking almost immediately and then gradually increase duration of daily walking up to 30 mins over the next 7-10 days. Swimming and low-intensity gym activities (not sit-ups) can be resumed 3-4 weeks after surgery, assuming wounds are fully healed. More intensity can be included towards 8 weeks post surgery

My provider advises full avoidance of sit ups and ab crunches when having a band, and I have to say, having had issues before I learnt this, I quite understand why! But check with your own provider as to what they say :)

I am wondering about pilates? I love it, THG said gentle walking for 4 weeks first. Does anyone know if pilates is ok once fully healed? Only thinking about the abs/sit ups situation. You dont really do sit ups but you do use your core a lot.

again, this is one to check with your provider and follow their advice, mine recommends avoiding ab crunches, exercises such as sit ups and I've had to amend my workout accordingly. I discovered the painful way what sit ups can do to a band!

What would you think about spinning? It's mostly legs and not really core. I will really miss it, it's so addictive! Also im scared I will lose a lot of fitness if i stay away too long.

I suppose I will just have to ask..and see how I feel.

Back