• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When can I have a bath?

Sambucca

Random question - I know, and obviously Ive been showering every day since the op, I'm not that dirty.....

But I would love to have a bath. How long do we have to wait for our wounds to heal before we can lie in the bath. My wounds are all clean and healing well if that makes any difference.

THanks

I'm sorry but I don't know! Didn't want to read and run!! Glad everything is going so well at the mo!!!

xxxxxxxxxxx

Random question - I know, and obviously Ive been showering every day since the op, I'm not that dirty.....

But I would love to have a bath. How long do we have to wait for our wounds to heal before we can lie in the bath. My wounds are all clean and healing well if that makes any difference.

THanks

Hiya Sam hope your feeling better today. I think its about a week but i am not sure. Somebody more knowlegable than me will probably be able to tell you. Its nice to see you on here posting so soon you were deffinately missed:D:D:D. Janey

I had my first bath when I felt that I would be able to get out ok on my own

thursday at 6.43pm. no other time is permitted.

omg am so bored.

omg am so bored.

PMSL :rotflmao:

I swear it must be something in the air, I am bored too have been all day. Want to do allsorts in the house and get grief everytime I put something in my hand :(

Did you have stitches or glue?

If its glue I think you can bath straight away but with stitches you must wait until they have healed completely. I read that somewhere i'll see if I can find it to give you the exact info

A good way to dry your wounds is to put your hair dryer on cool/warm setting and gently dry the wounds, I did this after my sections as I was petrified of drying it with a towel incase I ripped it open :eek: im a freak like that :eek:

Found it............................
Bathing and showering

It's usually possible for you to have a bath or a shower about 24 hours after surgery. Your nurse at the hospital will advise you if this isn't the case following your particular operation.

Some general points to remember are as follows.
  • Showering is preferable to bathing, so that your wound doesn't soak in water.
  • Remove any dressing before you have a bath or shower, unless your doctor gives you different advice. Some dressings are waterproof and can be left in place.
  • Don't use any soap, shower gel, body lotion, talcum powder or other bathing products directly over your healing wound.
  • You can let the shower water gently splash on to your healing wound. However, don't rub the area, as this might be painful and could delay the healing process.
  • Only have a bath if your wound can be kept out of the water. Don't soak the area as this might soften the scar tissue and re-open your wound.
  • Dry the surrounding area carefully by patting it gently with a clean towel but allow your wound to air dry.
  • If you had surgery on your face, don't wear make-up over the scar until it has fully healed.

Did you have stitches or glue?

If its glue I think you can bath straight away but with stitches you must wait until they have healed completely. I read that somewhere i'll see if I can find it to give you the exact info

We cross posted...

Grrr I had stitches but they are coming out tomorrow.

The biggest concern with bathing once your wounds have healed is getting in and out. Remember you pose a hernia risk as you've just had holes put in your stomach muscles, and even now six months on I can feel it in my abs as I get out.

Another less apparent risk is Postural hypo tension. The hot water in the bath will open your capillaries and you will feel light headed and even faint if you try to get out of a warm/hot bath too quickly.
I've nearly ended up on the bathroom floor a couple of times :eek:

Be very careful and you will be fine. I much prefer baths to showers so know how you feel

omg am so bored.

Is that every Thursday or just particular ones in the month?

I was told to wait until the wounds were dry and not weeping. Also the effort of getting in and out is a risk as Terri and SS say. Take care. x x

If your wounds are healing well Sam I see no reason apart from the obvious struggle getting in and out for you not to have one. Just make sure you dry them properly. If you are going to struggle getting in and out then I'd wait a bit longer. Even though you're healing on the outside it does take longer for the insides so be very careful sweetheartxx

thanks for everyones replies. I asked the nurse when I went this morning to have my stitches removed and she said my wounds look fine and to go ahead and have a bath as long as I would be able to manage to get out ok.

Back