• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

when is a weight gain--not a weight gain?

Mynewlife

:sigh: Right here I go!!!!

I had my band adjusted two weeks ago (I am not new to this as I have had my band nearly 2 years). I went back today to my provider for a check and I had gained 2 pounds??? To say that I was devastated would be a slight understatement.
Now to my provider I should be estatic because even though the scales say that I am actually 2 pounds heavier (these are seriously fancy scales), I have lost 4 pounds of fat. The provider stated "If I'd lost 4 pounds of fat in two weeks, I'd be doing cartwheels outside"
But to me, I am 2 pounds heavier than I was two weeks ago, and that is another 2 pounds on top of what I have already left to lose:cry:
She said that I had gained 5 pounds of water and 1 pound of muscle since my last weigh in plus the 4 pounds loss of fat, which equates to the reason why the scales say I am heavier. I am not happy about this, she feels I should be...what do you say? Wouldnt you look at this as though you had gained 2 pounds :mad:
I am at a loss??
Any input would be appreciated.
MNL:confused:

i would look at it like i had gained 2lbs 2 BUT u know u have lost 4 lbs of fat so i would probs be happy with that! what i want 2 know is where can i get scales that tell me this info! id love to know! i havent lost anything for 3 weeks abd im still goin swimming and gym and i dont eat crap :( gutted! i hope mines muscle! xx

I agree with Kirsty, I would love fancy scales that told me all that info.

I too would prob look on it as a gain and be gutted, but if you have gained 5lb of water that will be off again as quick as it went on.

Hi there,

I would have to say I would be pleased...it reduction in fat that is the most important. Fat is the killer.

I have given up on the scales, no one set ever reads the same and constant analysis of numbers does my head in. The waistband on my skirt is good enough guide for me.

MNL, please stop beating yourself up, your provider was pleased, why can't you be?

Your weightloss will be much slower at the 2 year out mark, so be grateful its still coming off and keep an eye on the big picture, thats what is important, not all the little details.

YOU HAVE DONE BRILLIANT - HAVE A LITTLE MORE CONFIDENCE :D;)

:sigh: Right here I go!!!!

I had my band adjusted two weeks ago (I am not new to this as I have had my band nearly 2 years). I went back today to my provider for a check and I had gained 2 pounds??? To say that I was devastated would be a slight understatement.
Now to my provider I should be estatic because even though the scales say that I am actually 2 pounds heavier (these are seriously fancy scales), I have lost 4 pounds of fat. The provider stated "If I'd lost 4 pounds of fat in two weeks, I'd be doing cartwheels outside"
But to me, I am 2 pounds heavier than I was two weeks ago, and that is another 2 pounds on top of what I have already left to lose:cry:
She said that I had gained 5 pounds of water and 1 pound of muscle since my last weigh in plus the 4 pounds loss of fat, which equates to the reason why the scales say I am heavier. I am not happy about this, she feels I should be...what do you say? Wouldnt you look at this as though you had gained 2 pounds :mad:
I am at a loss??
Any input would be appreciated.
MNL:confused:

You're provider is right. I'd be jumping outside doing cartwheels if I'd lost 4Ibs of fat .... thats a heavy bag of sugar. You obviously weigh more because you're probably building muscle thus you're gaining weight too while you lose fat - that is why you can't be too reliant on what scales say. Buy yourself a body fat analyser scales which will be much better. Muscle weight more than fat - so there are rugby players and body builders who have BMI's of 30/40 but they are obviously not fat or unhealthy.

Don't worry about it ... you've lost F.A.T and fet is the demon here .... not your weight. :hug99:

Thank you for your replies so far, it helps to see how other people would view this. I have been milling it over since I got back from my appointment, and personally feel that I have two options here, throw the towel in or use the energy and turn this into a positive to push me on....so I have decided to push on..Caz, you are right, I am way too hard on myself, but in some respect if I am not hard on myself then I could let my guard down and slide backwards. Which is not what I want to happen.

I am going to have to reach that "middle ground" where I push myself, but am not too hard on myself, as what I am now;)
thanks again
MNL

to be honest, I have had a rough go of it since November when my band was over-tightened, then being ill with that, then having to have it deflated and give myself and my stomach 5 weeks rest --- I feel that I have just been through the mill lately and was hoping the readjustment to the band would help things move forward again, but there is a delay with this 2 pound gain.....but I am going to stop feeling sorry for myself and turn this round...I have had enough of the "pity me".

Thanks for the comments and support.

MNL:eek:

In a heartbeat.

It was the best thing that I did, nothing in life is easy and that includes the band. I dont regret it at all. What I am going through is just part of my process, everyone has their own ups and downs in life and this is just a part of that.

MNL

In a heartbeat.

It was the best thing that I did, nothing in life is easy and that includes the band. I dont regret it at all. What I am going through is just part of my process, everyone has their own ups and downs in life and this is just a part of that.

MNL

Would you have not got another surgery?

For me personally, the band was the only decision. I didnt want to have my insides rearranged, and after discussing my needs with two private consultants, both advised that the band was the best option for me. Both consultants did both types of surgery (band and bypass) and could have made more money off of me for the bypass, but they both felt the band was better for me.

MNL:wave_cry:

Mixy put me onto mine they measure your weight, water retention, and fat. We got these for a song I think £14.99 rings a bell they were 1/2 price from argos in the sale. But they are very good so I would wait until the easter sales come on then get yourself down to argos.
i would look at it like i had gained 2lbs 2 BUT u know u have lost 4 lbs of fat so i would probs be happy with that! what i want 2 know is where can i get scales that tell me this info! id love to know! i havent lost anything for 3 weeks abd im still goin swimming and gym and i dont eat crap :( gutted! i hope mines muscle! xx

My advice would be to throw away the weighing scales and start looking at your body shape and how clothes fit you. We all get far too hung up on weight but, as you've discovered, this can fluctuate quite a lot as we retain water, build muscle and lose fat.

Use a tape measure to record inch loss instead if you need to measure your loss in some way.

Back