• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When is it ok to...........

swizzlestick

Lifes a beach
when is it ok to start taking tablets again does anyone know?

I am takimg my meds in liquid form or crushing them, The liquids are ok but the clopidogrel crushed is making me so sick and gaggy as are the tramadol powder (from the capsule).

I shall ring the wl people tomorrow for advice but Im sitting here now with the blood thinner in front of me and cannot bring myself to take it crushed. I feel like crying which isnt me. Ive tried it in sugar free jam but it got stuck in my teeth, yoghurt but gagged it back up, milk shake but my tequilla eject button at the back of my throat says NO!:wave_cry:

I am trying to work out if the tablets will have time to dissove and absorb in the pouch, and also how long do the plasticy capsules take to dissolve on the pouch too.

Any advice greatly received

Xx

The nurse told me to wait a month after my op, before taking tablets :D:D

hi hun i know its horrible having to take crushed tablets they made me feel sick too.:sick:
I think i gave up on crushing them quite early on after a couple of weeks because i just couldn't stand it anymore, but its best to check with your doctor or bypass team just to be on the safe side.
Hope you sort things out
Sharon

I waited 8 weeks before taking any tablets. I would say to be on the safe side if your tabs are plastic coated thingy's to check with your bariatric team. I would hate for you to get anything stuck.

Big hugs xx

I was about 4 weeks but I did phone up my barriatric team to confirm before I did, as all Hospitals have different rules to be honest. So S/S to put your mind at rest give them a tinkle and that will ease your mind. Gail.x

Phoebe you can get Tramadol patches instead of tablets :)

Oh my goodness, why is the information so very different. I asked Shaw Somers this question and he said that the outlet for my pouch was about 1cm diameter so if the tablet could go down that, then it was OK. I am already taking tablets and have been since day 2 post op.

Thanks everyone for your input. Im 4 weeks post op now so maybe the clopidogrel is ok to take whole, shall ring them. Your right Sam, thats what Im worried about with the plastic not dissolving properly and causing an obstruction with the tramadol. I've always had troube taking the capsules anyway as they get stuck in my throat for hours after, my gp knew this yet still prescribed them. Shel I asked him for the tramadol patches and he said no. He is head honcho at my practice, used to be the loveliest doc...........Im going to book another appointment with a diff doc their and go through what they can prescribe as alternatives.

Had quite a rough night, wasnt able to bring myself to take either the tramadol or the blood thinner. They need to sort out the omeprazole too as he has dropped my usual 40mg omeprazole down to 15mg lanzaprazole and given me capsules AGAIN when for the past 7 yrs ive been on proper tablet form. the wl team said i need to be on at least 30mg.

Ive got to say, I know there cant be an awful lot of research into the taking of different medications post bypass but they really do need to have some sort of universal guideline for this. I mean the last thing any of us want to do is damage our pouches with quite powerful meds.

Its the same with the nsaids, my wl people say they are ok to take after about 6 weeks, but almost everywhere else says never take them post bypass. Now in my view if someone needed to take them once in a blue moon then I cant see that it would necessarily cause harm, but if you have to take them longterm I can see that it increases the risk of ulceration to the pouch and staple lines.

Right going to ring the hozzie then book appointment with gp........happy days!

Xx thanks all once again

ok so just rang gp, earliest appointment is 1st of december! I can try phoning on friday as she will be in that day and may have an appointment. Also rang the hozzie..they advise 6 to 8 weeks post op to take tabs, but think it should be ok to take the blood thinner as a whole tab as it is quite small, not to sure about the capsule so will check and call me back

Last edited:
My surgeon said the same as Gill's, tablets are ok to take straight away! In fact from day 2 post op they gave me paracetamol and codeine in tablet form in the hospital! :confused: And my meds from the GP are all tablet form. I break any bigger tablets up in half but have had no problems at all taking them.

Cuppa xx

Swizzle, what about diclofenac PR (per rectum). I used these in hospital and they were great, a bit cumbersum to reach the area of insertion (if you know what I mean) but they worked well.

I used to be on diclofenic tablets Gilla, they were more effective for me than the naproxen, the docs changed me tot he naproxen as they said they were gentler on my tum than the doclofenic and had less side effects (not that I had any side effects with them).

Cant tell you what a nightmare ALL my meds are tbh.....theres new research that shows that the ppi's (esomaprazole) reduce the efficacy of the clopidogrel (or aspirin if you use that) as a blood thinner. So the gp tried to put me onto a a non ppi for the digestive probs and made it all worse and I had to go back onto the ppi's even though they are lessening the effect of the blood thinner.

And well, we know what happened when he then changed my blood thinner to a new one (back in hospital)!

Now I have been changed from my nsaids to the tramadol or codeine and whilst the tramadol is most effective, It kinda knocks me out and obviously taking them is a problem at the moment. I am not a great fan of suppositries but if needs must eh :( it may be the solution.

I havent even taken my plaquenil for a month as thats another tablet to crush!

Right I have written the diclofenic PR on my sheet pf paper to take to docs!

Thankies Xx

Hi Swizzle

The advice I got from my surgeon was that if it is a small tablet and that includes capsules, you can take them immediately after surgery - the big ones like vitamins etc, wait 8 weeks. I followed his advice and no problems at this end at all. Have to say that the capsules with powder in are not as effective if you dissolve the powder as they are time release medication so should be taken as a whole. There is dissolvable tramadol - was given it to take home but never needed to take it.

Phoebe your doctor sounds like a muppet. Sorry lol, but changing your meds around for no good reason? Sack him :)

Interested in the blood thinners. I've been on fragmin through the pregnancy and the difference it has made to the APS related problems like reynauds and temperature intolerance is astounding. I'm thinking of asking about going on thinners long term after the pregnancy as it has made life a lot more bearable! I can have a warm bath now :) without feeling like I'm being scalded. Is it the APS that you take thinners for?

I was always told not to crush certain tabs or take apart plastic coated ones as it changes they way they work

I can't get over all the hosps giving such different advice?:eek::eek:Maybe when bariatric surgery is more common there might be some uniformity:rolleyes:

Hi Shel yea the clopidogrel 75mg is for the APS it thins the platelets in the blood. I dont have the raynauds (thankfully) but if the thinner you are on is helping that then its probably a good thing to discuss it post pregnancy.

My doc used to be so so good, he was even knighted he does an awful lot for children and is a workaholic. I think this is partly why I am so upset with how he has been lately, I suspect he has been worn down by beaurocracy and all the new changes in the nhs and has lost his mojo if you know what I mean. Hark at me makin excuses, Im still v upset by how he has carried on lately. Have booked to see someone else at the practice.

Xx

Phoebe your doctor sounds like a muppet. Sorry lol, but changing your meds around for no good reason? Sack him :)

Interested in the blood thinners. I've been on fragmin through the pregnancy and the difference it has made to the APS related problems like reynauds and temperature intolerance is astounding. I'm thinking of asking about going on thinners long term after the pregnancy as it has made life a lot more bearable! I can have a warm bath now :) without feeling like I'm being scalded. Is it the APS that you take thinners for?

Back