• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When was the first gastric bypass?

Hi, All,
I've just read a very interesting thread posted by Cazbandy, with lots of really useful info about the Gastric Band. In the post, the info says that the first band was fitted in 1993.
Does anyone know when the first bypass was carried out?
I'm just wondering if both procedures are about the same 'age'.

The gastric bypass, was first done in 1967 open surgery . in its various forms, accounts for a large majority of the bariatric surgical procedures performed. It is estimated that 140,000 such operations were performed in the United States in 2005. An increasing number of these operations are now performed by limited access techniques, termed "laparoscopy".
Laparoscopic surgery is performed using several small incisions, or ports, one of which conveys a surgical telescope connected to a video camera, and others permit access of specialized operating instruments. The surgeon actually views his operation on a video screen. The method is also called limited access surgery, reflecting both the limitation on handling and feeling tissues, and also the limited resolution and two-dimensionality of the video image. With experience, a skilled laparoscopic surgeon can perform most procedures as expeditiously as with an open incision — with the option of using an incision should the need arise.
The Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass, Roux-en-Y, first performed in 1993, is regarded as one of the most difficult procedures to perform by limited access techniques, but use of this method has greatly popularized the operation, with benefits which include shortened hospital stay, reduced discomfort, shorter recovery time, less scarring, and minimal risk of incisional hernia.

dunno if any help .. but was in america 1967

The gastric bypass, was first done in 1967 open surgery . in its various forms, accounts for a large majority of the bariatric surgical procedures performed. It is estimated that 140,000 such operations were performed in the United States in 2005. . .

I didn't know all that - thank you because I'd been wondering that too.

dunno if any help .. but was in america 1967

wow brett i never knew wls had been around so long !

thanks for that info, i love learning new things about wls.

cheers

liz x

Iknew about the band is 93 but not the bypass. It was funny as there is a doctor form america on youtube saying he has fitted bands since the 80's. Funny thing is that the band was first done in the UK and only in the states from 2000.

Back