• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Which are the best protein shakes to buy?

penelope1008

Can anyone tell me what are the best shake powders etc to buy for both pre and post-op. Just trying to be prepared and know where to look and to be honest what to look out for. No doubt I will find out more when I next see the bariatric nurse and am probably jumping the gun a bit but thats me a question pops up and I try to find the answer. So I apologise if I am being a pain asking lots of possibly silly questions that I would find the answers to if I waited until my pre-op chat.
Have to have a chat with my GP soon as my prescription review is due soon so will need to check out post-op meds in that chat with them as this review will cover me for a long time post op.

I liked the bsn lean dessert range but i think it's personal taste. I have the holland and Barrett one as a back up as it's not my favourite. I got complan on prescription for a month but i understand it's now a blacklisted item.....

Vix

Check out the MYPROTEIN site, they do sample packs of their whey protein. I've foundthe fruity, vanilla and unflavoured ones the best. Choc ones were a bit strange.

Great that you are thinking ahead as protein is essential for recovery and for your hair etc.

bsn lean dessert is my fave too, I usually add a tablespoon of cocoa powder (unsweetened like bournville or fairtrade) to the choc varieties of shakes and that helps a lot !
I keep hearing myprotein is good too and being able to try a sachet first really is a good feature x
Impact Whey Protein from Myprotein

I've tried loads but always come back to bsn lean dessert. Not the lowest carb but def the best tasting. Choc fudge is my favourite but also like banana cream and vanilla.

Thanks so much Sellap, Biggy123 and Neen I will have a look asap and see what samples I can get, not my most favourite of things shakes so want to find one or two flavours I like before the op so I can get used to them. Not sure why I don't like them so long since I have had one I am sure they are better than I remember. Trial and error starts now to find the magic brand and flavour.

I found the My Protein shakes a little to sweet. I did have Atkins ones they were not too bad. In the end I make my own very thin soups with chichen and veg. I knew what went in them, that way not too much salt.

Rosebun x

Thanks Rosebun, all suggestions greatly received. I have tried a couple of slimfast shakes and whilst tasting a little sweet and not as bad as I thought. Not sure they are ok post op but at least they have shown me some shakes aren't so bad.

hi been looking on the myprotien site but theres so many diffrent sorts,not flavours but types of whey shake powder what would u lot recomend 4 a first try???

Hi John from what I have read whey protein is the best one and if you are lactose intollerant whey isolate is better. But I am confused as there are diet, bulk up and so many others I am confused to have ordered some diet samples that are low in fat, carbs and sugars and have a good level of protein to try and will check out more once I see the nurse on the 1st JUne for my pre-op check up, as I assume I will get my pre-op diet then and will have a chance to ask questions and what the hospital reccommends.

Back