• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How big is an average portion post op?

penelope1008

I am due to have my op in the next month or so and have read with interest various threads and diaries picking up lots of good ideas and things to do pre and post op to ensure I work well with my bypasss to achieve the best possible goal weight.
But as I have yet to have the detailed talk with my surgeon and bariatric nurse am curious to find out how big the portion sizes are post op?
So if I get a chance to make up things I can eat post op when I have free time before my op and can do the best thing rather than waste time and food by being to efficient and using the wrong foods and portion sizes. Any suggestions and pointers will be much appreciated.

I've been told one to two tablespoons of pureed for the first 4-6 weeks. It varies from one surgeon to another.

In all honesty? If you freeze no more than 4 tablespoons then you won't have too much waste. First time i ate i had about 2tsp of mash and omg it was orgasmic but also filling...

Whatever it is you can always defrost in the microwave if you are still hungry, which i doubt in all honesty...

Still go look at phatgirls diary, she rocked her wls big time x

Hardly anything post op,two to four oz now at nearly 3 months.and up to 6oz at 6 months so they say.

Thank you ladies I thought it would be something like that from the threads and diaries I have read so far and from looking at some of phatgirls recipies there was a picture of a plated meal for herself and her husband and it was easy to work out who's was whose.
Any other advice or suggestions of what I can do pre-op to help myself post -op, I can't find a thread I started yesterday and saw a reply on my iphone but couldn't work out how to reply (still a bit of a technophobe despite the phone) asking the same question as I had lost this one and mentioned trying to eat a similar portion size pre-op as I could have post-op and they said don't try it just parctice sipping a lot of water. Which I have been tring to get my water intake up as I can be really bad at drinking much beyond a few cups of tea and some fruit juice. Is there anything else I should try?
Sorry if I sound like a pain in the bum I tend to be a bit of a control freak in needing to know the best and the worst of what could happen and find it easier to know worst case and deal with that so whatever happens is better than that and if it does happen I won't panic as much. Just a silly habit not sure where it comes from but sometimes it does make sense somehow at least to me. Lol

Thanks Mini, I had found that and think it is great she is such a clever lady, I have copied a few off ready to use when my turn comes and am gathering some of the ingredient staples as I find them in local and not so local stores so I can try them out before hand so I know what tastes good and challenge my prejudices about certain foods that I will need post-op to help keep me healthy and losing rather than avoiding them as I do now.

Back