• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Who sets your target weight etc

TwinkleTwinkle

A Very Happy Bunny
Can someone tell me who sets your target weight, BMI etc. I have seen them in peoples profiles & wondered if these are just personal aspirations or medical advise. :confused:

OOooo good question :)

My goal weight still puts me into the obese bracket. It's very personal I think. Not everyone strives to be super slim.
I'm already past the weight my surgeon said I would achieve with this surgery so that makes me super happy :)

I was told I would only lose 60-70% which would have left me at 13 stone something :(
So I checked and set my target so my BMI would be 25 and hoped that I could prove the Drs wrong :rolleyes:
Oh and I have I hit my Drs target at around 6 months out :D and I hit my target at 15 months out:happy036:

The goals on the side of our profiles are what we pick for ourselves. We set them ourselves and aspire to get there.

Personally as blueeyes said it's a personal thing.

Weight watchers told me my goal was 11st 10lbs and i aspire to lose the other 3 stone to get there, however i have to say 2 stone would have me ecstatic, as would a size 14. It's all in our own hands. I am half an inch from doing up a size 14 i brought a few weeks ago, i reckon 18lbs will have me a comfortable 14. Now it's down to me to watch what i eat, get off my butt and get there :)

Hi Denise, I have asked this before when I see people with goals of BMI under 25. I have put my goal on my tracker as 70% weight loss which is what the surgeon quoted. As has been said this still leaves me obese but when I reach that goal, I can move the goalpost a bit ;-)

I think aim low and get there, and then aim a bit lower again.
But then I am a glass half empty kind of girl, so that suits my mentality!!

To repeat what Julie has said I would have been happy with a size 14 (about 2 stone ago) but my PCT wants a BMI of 25 and less to even consider a tummy tuck (on which I am awaiting a decision)

Good luck with your pct decision Wendy, I know it is harder and harder, so don't hold out much hope in two years or so. But hopefully you have caught it all before the purse runs bare. But your BMI of 24 is brilliant, I can't even imagine that, I was obese as a teenager, so cant imagine ever being a 14.

Fingers crossed for you. xx

I think it's important that you set a realistic end target. I set mine at 196 pounds or 14 stone, I reckoned I could reach that in eighteen months. As it happens I reached it within a year. I agreed the target with the surgical team at my clinical assessment.

The figure of losing up to 70% of your excess weight with the bypass is the average and very doable if you stick to the rules and do your bit. If you go beyond that then you should be very proud of your achievement because anything above 70% is down to you, and many of the great people here have achieved these fantastic results.

Equally important is to set short term goals. Set yourself little targets that you can hit along the way that will keep you motivated. Two pounds a week, or an inch this month off my waist, or I'll go to the gym 12 times this month, I will cycle hard for 45 minutes next session etc etc. These keep you focussed and prevent discouragement when inevitable stalls or slowing loss happen. Always look for something positive each week.

Back