• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why a bypass and not a band?

Hi Nicky,

I chose the bypass because I could loose a higher % of my excess weight. If I went for the band I wouldn't be able to get to a healthy weight...I have a bit more chance with the bypass. I was also concerned with the complications that may occur much later with the band. If things were going to get complicated I'd rather it happen whilst I was in hospital where they could sort it quickly.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks Lisa, not long for you now. Did you have to wait long after you saw the consultant until your op? What was the process. I have now decided to go in with an open mind and let him decide what is best, after all he will know what he is talking about - I hope!!

Nicky

Thanks Lisa, not long for you now. Did you have to wait long after you saw the consultant until your op? What was the process. I have now decided to go in with an open mind and let him decide what is best, after all he will know what he is talking about - I hope!!

Nicky

Hi Nicky,

For me it's taken about 10 months from start to finish. This is what happened:

I went to my GP and asked if she'd refer me - she did.

I got confirmation that I would be suitable and offerred group information session about 2 months later.

After that I waited about 8 weeks to be seen by the consultant. I told him what I wanted. He agreed and neither of us mentioned the band at all. He asked me lots of questions and decided there and then what assessments to refer me to.

I have asthma so was sent for a respiritory assessment and because I started to put on weight after my parents divorced (when I was 10) he also sent me to a psychotherapist.

The respiritory assessment came through quick but I had to wait about 4 months for the psych appointment...very annoying as they immediately discharged me and said I was perfectly normal.

After that it was back to the consultant again who said all was fine and i could go on the waiting list if my funding was through. That was over Christmas and New Year so I couldn't find anything out. Eventually I found out they were still waiting to hear about my funding but when I pushed they got the answer within a week! (which was yes).

A fitness test was arranged to prepare for anesthesia but there was no waiting list at all for that. The test itself was rather hard but manageable.

Again nothing really happened for a while after this so I pushed again and eventually got a number of someone in admissions who gave me a date there and then!

I also got my pre-op date at the same time and went for that about 3 weeks ago. They took blood in the normal way and then blood directly from the artery - spun it straight away to test for oxygen and gave me the results there and then. I then went for an ECG and was given the results of that straight away too. Then they took swabs for MRSA. I took all the results back the pre-op nurse, she went through the pre-op diet and that was it.

I wasn't asked at any point to loose any weight - just to keep it the same was fine. Everyone was always really positive and helpful and apart from the long waits for appointments it was all very good.

I hope this helps Nicky...and hope I haven't bored you silly with my long story. Keep us informed about your own experiences and feel free to PM me if you want to ask any questions.
:17729:

Hi, I did want the band at first because it is reversal and didn't seem so severe,but being diabetic my surgeon recommended the bypass as it seems to resolve diabetes in a lot of cases. I was glad that I did have the bypass as after I read a lot of post about people who had initially had the band having revisions to convert to a bypass (due to erosion of the band, weight gain, etc). There seems (in my experience) to be more problems with eating and being sick with the band and I have had relatively few problems with the bypass (touchwood). I was fit enough to go back to work by 2 weeks (lap bypass). However, I still have to work with the bypass as I don't dump very easily and haven't found anything that I can't eat yet - so willpower is still a requisite. One of the things I have found since the op is my eating patterns have changed. I was a strict 3 meals a day person and not much snacking beforehand but now I find myself grazing a lot more (and have noticed that I get hungry about 10ish as I don't eat as much at my evening meal). Hopefully I can keep this under control by drinking and having healthy snacks.

Hiya,

I've followed this thread with some interest as you can imagine!

I desperately wanted to go on the NHS, not because of the cost, but because of the non-biased advice I would receive in respect to the surgery I should go for. Alas I have come across brick wall after brick wall.

Having initially had my band operation booked for the 27th February ... I cancelled because I wasn't sure and because of other (annoying) reasons I won't go into here.

I have since been back to see the surgeon (who incidentally would have been undertaking my sugery on the NHS anyhow) and once again he recommended I go for the band, even after I told him I could afford the band, bypass or sleeve. He wasn't keen on the sleeve, but didn't push me towards the bypass in actual fact he seemed to steer me toward the band - although he said ultimately it was my decision.

I have since done a lot of soul searching (played out on these boards :eek:) i.e. " should I have the band or bypass???" and even to the extreme of asking myself whether I should even have the operation at all (like last night and this morning) :cry::sigh:. A whilrwind.

I say explore the boards, explore the pro's and cons - seek out other forums. You Tube has been an invaluable resource to me -- I suggest you look there too.

What ever you and your surgeon decide - go for it and don't spend a second more thinking about it as that is definately devils work! lol.

Take care - CC

Hi there

I am fairly new on here and have applied to the NHS for banding (been approved). I can see so many people have had bypass, please tell me is this your choice or the consultants? I have my first appointment with the consultant on 16th March and not really sure what to expect. I see from some threads that some people who ahve had a bypass have been off of work for such a long time, is this the case with a band and when would I be able to start driving again.
Thanks
Nicky:)

hi

I was offered the bypass but opted 4 the band, not due to recovery period but didnt want a bypass as I dont have as much weight to lose as sum have, and I am a big portion eater rather then a grazer and dont ave a sweet tooth neither. HTH

All the best - MeJulie x x

Thanks for all your thoughts. Starting to get a bit nervous & excited about Tuesday's appointment. I keep reading different posts thinking yep the band is right for me, then its yep the bypass is the right one, then back and fourth all the time. My eating habits are not too bad, I can put alot away if I want to but also be good too. I would say that volumne is the thing for me, but again not all the time. Sometimes at lunch I see slimmer people eating far more than me. Even when I went to weight watchers using all my points in a day as hard to do. Which do you think would be better for me bypass or band?
Nicky:confused:

Thanks for all your thoughts. Starting to get a bit nervous & excited about Tuesday's appointment. I keep reading different posts thinking yep the band is right for me, then its yep the bypass is the right one, then back and fourth all the time. My eating habits are not too bad, I can put alot away if I want to but also be good too. I would say that volumne is the thing for me, but again not all the time. Sometimes at lunch I see slimmer people eating far more than me. Even when I went to weight watchers using all my points in a day as hard to do. Which do you think would be better for me bypass or band?
Nicky:confused:

Nicky we cant tell you which would be best, just be honest at your appointment and if your still not sure ask for some time to think about it. Good luck x

Back