• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

whats the difference between a band and a bypass

sarahhj

Hiya was just wondering wot the difference was between a band and a bypass only goin to see consultant monday and want to let him know i know a little bit about it!:)

Hi Sarah,

Have a look at the BOSPA site www.bospa.org

Lots of information here including what the different procedures are and what they entail.

Band - a band is attached to the top of your stomach and is made tighter or loser depending on your weight loss, this is totally reversible but can rot or move.

Bypass - you stomach is cutand made much smaller and part of your intestine is removed making your foods fat not absorbed after is has gone through the small new stomach.

HTH

Helen
xx

About a gastric band operation

A gastric band operation involves placing an adjustable band around the upper part of your stomach to create a pouch. This pouch fills up quickly and the food you eat then passes slowly through a narrow opening created by the band, into the lower part of your stomach. The food then passes normally through the rest of your digestive system.
Surgery is usually recommended only if non-surgical treatments, such as diet, exercise and medicines haven't worked.

The gastric band is usually fitted using keyhole (laparoscopic) surgery. Your operation will usually take 30 minutes to one hour.
Your surgeon will make a four to five small cuts on your upper abdomen. He or she will then use small instruments that are guided by a special telescope with a camera to secure the band around the top part of your stomach. The band is locked so that it can't come undone. Afterwards, the cuts are closed with two or three stitches.
The size of the opening from the pouch determines how quickly food leaves your stomach and is adjusted by adding or removing fluid to/from the band. A thin tube connects the band to a 'port' that has been placed under the skin of your chest or below your ribs. The band is adjusted by your surgeon a few weeks after the operation, leaving time for the swelling caused by the surgery to settle down. You are likely to have your band adjusted two or three times in the first few months after your operation.

A gastric band operation is commonly performed and generally safe. However, in order to make an informed decision and give your consent, you need to be aware of the possible side-effects and the risk of complications of this procedure.
Side-effects

These are the unwanted, but mostly temporary effects of a successful treatment, for example feeling sick as a result of the general anaesthetic.
You are likely to have some bruising, pain and swelling of the skin around the healing wounds.
You may feel or be sick after eating, especially if you try to eat too much. Your restricted diet may cause some shortage of nutrients so you may need to take multivitamin tablets.
Complications

This is when problems occur during or after the operation. Most people are not affected. The possible complications of any operation include an unexpected reaction to the anaesthetic, excessive bleeding or developing a blood clot, usually in a vein in the leg (DVT).

Complications specific to a gastric band operation are listed here.
  • Infection - antibiotics are usually given during surgery to prevent infection. If an infection doesn't respond to antibiotics your band may need to be removed.
  • Damage to other organs in your abdomen - you may need further surgery to repair any damage.
  • Band problems - your band may slip out of place, leak, or work its way through the stomach wall. If this happens, your band may need to be repositioned, removed or replaced.
  • Gallstones - there is a risk you may develop gallstones if you lose weight quickly. These can be painful and you may need surgery to remove them. Your surgeon may advise removing your gallbladder when you have your operation.
There is a chance your surgeon may need to convert your keyhole procedure to open surgery. This means making a bigger cut on your abdomen. This is only done if it's impossible to complete the operation safely using the keyhole technique.
Around one in 10 people with a gastric band may need another gastric band operation in the future. It's also possible you may fail to lose sufficient weight or regain weight you have lost. If this happens your surgeon may recommend you have gastric bypass surgery.

Gastric Bypass

Gastric bypass is a type of weight loss surgery that works by making your stomach smaller and removing part of your bowel to make your digestive system shorter. This means that you can only eat small meals and your body will take up less calories from the food you eat.

Your surgeon will use surgical staples to create a pouch from the upper part of the stomach. A section of your small intestine is then cut out, making it shorter. It is re-connected to the pouch so that food bypasses part of your digestive system and is absorbed less easily by the body. Gastric bypass can be done using keyhole (laparoscopic) or open surgery. The operation may take two to three hours.
Keyhole surgery

About five small cuts (one to two centimetres long) are made on your abdomen and chest. Your surgeon will insert a tube-like telescopic camera into a cut, and view the area either by looking directly through this, or at pictures it sends to a video screen. The operation is done using specially designed surgical instruments. Afterwards, the skin cuts are closed with two or three stitches.
Open surgery

A single cut (about 30cm long) is made on your upper abdomen. The cut is closed using stitches and staples.
You will be given antibiotics during the operation to reduce the chance of getting an infection from the bacteria that are naturally present in your bowel.

A gastric bypass is a major operation that changes the way the digestive system works. For most people, the benefits in terms of losing excess weight are much greater than any disadvantages. However, the operation carries an element of risk. In order to make an informed decision and give your consent, you need to be aware of the possible side-effects and the risk of complications.
Side-effects are the unwanted but mostly temporary effects of a successful treatment. Afterwards, you are likely to have some bruising, pain and swelling of the skin around the healing wound(s) for a few days.
You may feel or be sick after eating, especially if you try to eat too much. If you eat sugary foods it can make you feel faint and sweaty. This is called "dumping" syndrome. You will usually need to take vitamin supplements due to the restricted diet, and your bowel absorbs less well than before surgery.
Complications are when problems occur during or after the operation. Most people are not affected. The possible complications of any surgery include an unexpected reaction to the anaesthesia or excessive bleeding during or soon after surgery. A blood transfusion may be required to replace the lost blood.

Some of the complications specific to a gastric bypass are listed here.
  • Wound infection. Antibiotics are given during surgery to help prevent this.
  • For up to six weeks after the operation, it is possible to develop a blood clot (DVT) in the veins in the leg. This clot can break off and cause a blockage in the lungs. In most cases this is treatable, but it can be a life-threatening condition. Compression stockings, intermittent compression pumps and blood-thinning injections are used to help prevent DVT.
  • During the operation other organs in the abdomen may be accidentally damaged. The points at which the intestine is re-joined could leak in the first few days. These complications are rare, but may need further surgery.
  • There is a small risk of death during or soon after this operation.
  • It is possible you may fail to lose sufficient weight or regain weight, and the operation may need to be repeated.
  • If you lose weight rapidly, there is a risk of developing gallstones in your gallbladder. These can be painful. Your surgeon may remove your gallbladder during surgery.

Not heard the band can rot but there is a possibililty of erosion, where the band can works its way through the stomach wall.

Slippage can occur too but usually from over eating or too much vomitting.

Bands can fail too, problems that can occur are the tube from the port to the device can leak, either through a problem with the manufacturing of the band or if a fill needle accidentally slips and hits the tube.

These devices are well made though and the actual problems are quite rare.

There are complications to both surgeries to consider but you have to weigh up the risks. Do you stay fat and unhealthy or take the gamble that one of these methods will work and you can get healthy and slimmer?

I took the gamble and so far its paying off.:)

:)Wow thanx cazbandy that was really helpful how come u opted for the band and not bypass?:)

Last edited:
It was partly the operation I wanted from the beginning to being advised this was right for me by my surgeon. I was a "quantity" eater so the band works well for me.

Also I wanted it to be reversible. (Not that I want it out)

Also recovery time is quicker, weightloss slower, which I believe is the best way to loose weight (just my opinion) and you do not loose nutrition from the food you eat.:D

Walsall will only do a band if your bmi is below 50 (I think), i was told I could have either but my pct won't fund any more ops if it goes wrong or I didn't have the weight loss that i need. I was leaning towards a bypass because of the type of eater I am. I like cake, sweets, biscuits, chocolate, and can eat masses of the wrong foods, so I knew a band would be no good for me as i would be able to cheat but with a bypass most people get 'dumping' if they eat high sugar/high fat foods and my portion sizes will be cut as i wont physiacally be able to eat that amount as it will cause me great discomfort.
So you need to think about what type of eater you are too.

Spot on, Terri. I am just like you in my eating habits, hence why Ana & Dr. Hartland recommended the bypass for me.

Good advice to think about what type of easter you are as that will point to the type of surgery that would serve you best.

Back