• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why are vitamins needed?

Theukpk

I was told to take a-z multi vitamins after my operation but slowly stopped taking them. I recently started again but does anyone here know the exact reason why we need them? Do we become deficient in certain vitamins after WLS?

Parsnip

https://www.weightlosssurgerypodcast.com/011-jacqueline-jacques-nd-interview/

I listen to these podcasts when I get the chance and although it's American, it's the same general information and they have been doing the surgery longer so a lot of what she talks about is really useful. Anyway, this episode covers why we should take vitamins but if you don't want to listen to it there is plenty of information on that page anyway.

Bling Babe

I was told to take a-z multi vitamins after my operation but slowly stopped taking them. I recently started again but does anyone here know the exact reason why we need them? Do we become deficient in certain vitamins after WLS?
I believe basically it’s because we don’t absorb the vitamins and nutrients from our food any longer and I’d imagine because our intake is so much less than it should be. You’ve done the right thing by going back on them

Theukpk

I believe basically it’s because we don’t absorb the vitamins and nutrients from our food any longer and I’d imagine because our intake is so much less than it should be. You’ve done the right thing by going back on them

Makes sense, thank you.

https://www.weightlosssurgerypodcast.com/011-jacqueline-jacques-nd-interview/

I listen to these podcasts when I get the chance and although it's American, it's the same general information and they have been doing the surgery longer so a lot of what she talks about is really useful. Anyway, this episode covers why we should take vitamins but if you don't want to listen to it there is plenty of information on that page anyway.

I will take a look at the link, thanks.

Sarnie

I'm not sure why for the gastric band, but for gastric bypass it is because of malabsorption. I'm surprised they didn't explain to you why you need to take them, as for bypass patients it's very important.

Theukpk

I'm not sure why for the gastric band, but for gastric bypass it is because of malabsorption. I'm surprised they didn't explain to you why you need to take them, as for bypass patients it's very important.

Yeah I wasn't told I needed to take them, but after speaking about it on a gastric band facebook group page I was told I NEED to take them.

Sarnie

Yeah I wasn't told I needed to take them, but after speaking about it on a gastric band facebook group page I was told I NEED to take them.
I'm not sure if Gastric band people NEED to take them as you don't have malabsorption, but it won't hurt to take an A to Z multivitamin with minerals. Have you had your bloods done? Do you eat a good variety of foods?

Theukpk

I'm not sure if Gastric band people NEED to take them as you don't have malabsorption, but it won't hurt to take an A to Z multivitamin with minerals. Have you had your bloods done? Do you eat a good variety of foods?

I got this response from a gastric band facebook group.
ce1b12a09cbd8ca4f187efef51d36daa.png

So I guess it is important. Taking them each day just in case.

Last edited:

Parsnip

You might want to edit the image to remove names.