• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vitamins ???

hayley1983

Hey everyone, another question :eek:

Im was taking Sanatogen Gold A-Z since the start of my pre-op, but from the day I had my surgery I havent had the tablets, because they are just too big to swallow. When I take them usually I gulp down nearly a pint of water, which I can't do now after having my bypass.

Does anyone use any other multi vitamin tablets that are alot smaller, or is there a liquid form out there?

Your help would be much appreciated! :)

Hayley

xxx

I have two of the Tesco's childrens chewable vitamin and mineral tablets from their Wellbeing range every morning. They are only £1.53 for 60 so cheap too.

The hosp sent a letter to my doc telling her to prescribe me forceval, calcichew and iron;)I hate taking them but am on them for life now:eek:

Hey everyone, another question :eek:

Im was taking Sanatogen Gold A-Z since the start of my pre-op, but from the day I had my surgery I havent had the tablets, because they are just too big to swallow. When I take them usually I gulp down nearly a pint of water, which I can't do now after having my bypass.

Does anyone use any other multi vitamin tablets that are alot smaller, or is there a liquid form out there?

Your help would be much appreciated! :)

Hayley

xxx

Hayley - Stick with the Sanatogen, chop them in half with a sharpe knife as it may help getting them down if they are smaller.

Bonita - you need to get your vits sorted, the kids chewable multivits are no good, and dont contain the dosages you need, your consultant sould have passed the referal instruction back to your GP, get him to either prescribe you a good multi vitimin or like Hayley take a sanatogen gold !

The hosp sent a letter to my doc telling her to prescribe me forceval, calcichew and iron;)I hate taking them but am on them for life now:eek:

Dont dispair Candie, i've just had my 1 year post op blood tests back and my GP has lowered my Zinc and i'm of the B12 shots now for 6 months, in 6 months i'll have another round of bloods to see where i am then he'll either lower further or reduce others...or if i go deficent then i'll be back on them, so it may not always be for life !
Longer term the upper GI (the part they chopped and moved) adjusts to the malabsorbtion issues and starts to compensate to a degree, like me you may find that in time your GP can reduce or remove a vatamin from your daily range, though i stress its important to ensure you get your blood tests done correctly and at regular intervals so they can keep an eye on your vitimin levels.

Sorry to hijack your thread - btw I think you can get liquid vitamins on prescription but you need to go for the sugar free kind, or go for chewable tablets which you can find in most supermarkets/chemists - but does anyone know if you have to take vitamins and protein supplements after WLS? I asked the nurse at my appt. and she said if you're eating a balanced diet you won't really need to take any?? To be honest, I'd rather take advice from people who have been through/going through it at the moment, as I think you're more like the experts.

Sorry to hijack your thread - btw I think you can get liquid vitamins on prescription but you need to go for the sugar free kind, or go for chewable tablets which you can find in most supermarkets/chemists - but does anyone know if you have to take vitamins and protein supplements after WLS? I asked the nurse at my appt. and she said if you're eating a balanced diet you won't really need to take any?? To be honest, I'd rather take advice from people who have been through/going through it at the moment, as I think you're more like the experts.

I've had abypass and been told to take a multi-vitamin for life. I don't really know the ins and outs of it but I'm sure someone will come along to help.

Is it different for banders?

xxx

Because part of the operation causes malabsorbtion certain suppliments are necessary for life. Multi vits and calcium suppliments are what you need. So long as you are eating enough protein you shouldn't need extra, although adding protein suppliments is something many people seem to do. You need about 80gr of protein each day. I use Bassetts chewable multivits. These seem to be ok for me. My hospital gave me a months supply of liquid vits to use at home directly after surgery.
My doctor prescribes the calcium chews which are rather like large 'love hearts' without the fizz. They are lemon flavour. x x

If the idea of a sharp knife and small pills worry you - they do me, there are lots of people on Ebay selling pill cutters and grinders. usually only 3-4 quid.

Thats a good idea - though i found i really only needed to snap them in half for the first few days and things seemed to get easier and i was able to swallow whole - nowdays i take the whole lot in one mouthful !

I have Bassetts multi vit and mineral and have'nt had any problems. They are chewable. Did'nt the surgical team (dieticien) give you a reccomendation for vits? I know the bassetts are what the dieticien advised me and bypassers to have and you had the same team as me. Good luck and I'm glad alls well with the recovery Haleyx

before you go cutting any pills you need to make sure they are not coated. if they are they shouldnt be cut as this is part of the time release system to make sure they are disolved in the right area of the digestive tract.

seems yet again all surgeons advice is completely different, I understand as every patient is different. My surgeon advised not to take any supplements till about 4 weeks after surgery. At the moment Im concentrating on getting fluid down lol

before you go cutting any pills you need to make sure they are not coated. if they are they shouldnt be cut as this is part of the time release system to make sure they are disolved in the right area of the digestive tract.

The one I have does have a coating :(.

I'm going to speak to WLSG tomorow, but I think i'm gunna taake a few peoples advice about the chewy ones.

xxx

least it will be something to chew hayley till the soft stuffs over lol good luck hope you get the one thats right for you x

I asked about this when I had an appointment with Mr. Khan at Walsall Manor in April. He said I shouldn't need any supplements post-op, if I have a balanced diet. I have to say, though, that it doesn't match up with anything I've read on here from post-op peeps.

Different surgeons have different opinions. I know for a sleeve gastrectomy vitamin supplements are not needed. For a band - I don't know. For a bypass a lot of surgeons recommend certain vitamins. I assume, though, that the surgeons who don't advise vitamin and mineral supplements and only advise a balanced diet, the regular blood tests that a post-op patient will have will determine whether that patient is getting the right vitamins and minerals from a balanced diet, or whether there may be a need to prescribe vitamin and mineral supplements to supplement the diet. With less food eaten post-bypass, it is important, if not taking vit and min supplements, that whatever is eaten is good quality nutrition and absorbed by the body - and not perhaps vomitted up if there is a problem with keeping certain foods down etc.

Back