• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

why bariatric surgery can fail

blueeyes

I regularly use the website below and I have the newsletter emailed to me daily. The last couple of posts have been very interesting and I thought I would share them with you.

I have had the links approved by Sam (Sambucca - moderator) before posting.

About the author:

"Dr. Arya M. Sharma, MD/PhD, FRCPC is Professor of Medicine & Chair in Obesity Research and Management at the University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada. He is also the Medical Director of Alberta Health Services Edmonton Region’s interdisciplinary Weight Wise Program.

Dr. Sharma is also the Scientific Director of the Canadian Obesity Network funded through the federal National Centres of Excellence program."

These are the links:

Why bariatric surgery can fail, part 1
Why Bariatric Surgery Can Fail (Part 1) | Dr. Sharma's Obesity Notes

Why bariatric surgery can fail, part 2
Why Bariatric Surgery Can Fail (Part 2) | Dr. Sharma's Obesity Notes

tranquil_butterfly

Thanks for posting these - very interesting. I hope pre oppers get to read these. It really puts things in perspective in terms of surgery of any kind not being the magic solution and brings into focus the over expectation you can have about surgery.

tranquil x

Sambucca

thanks for sharing x

blueeyes

I agree TB. It is hugely important to go in with the right expectations. As wonderful as it is to see amazing success story after success story in the news or online, it can put wool over one's eyes and disguise the reality. Hard facts and statistics are important so one is best prepared for what's to come.

I am technically a success now, at my current levels of weight loss. This is what my surgeon predicted. And I'm thrilled. If I don't lose another pound I will still be thrilled and grateful for what the bypass has helped me do. That's not to say I wouldn't like to lose more weight of course.

Montana

Brilliant post thanks for this!

Also a very sobering thought as I for one am someone who has got it imprinted on their brain that post surgery I will be losing at least 70% of my excess weight, when in reality I could potentially only lose 20%. This is something I most definitely need to get my head around to avoid the possibility of severe disappointment...

H x

DukeAmirOften

Thanks for this, brilliant stuff x

gibb100503

end of the day, if your heads not in the right place, you will not succeed, just like anything in life.

i struggle every day and have to think about what im eating, quantity etc. if i dont, then i will relaspe into being 7 stone heavier.

stew

BigDave99

a second chance at life
Thank you, very good reading. Expectations and aspirations are so important good to get them in focus

BigDave

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

blueeyes

penelope1008

Thank you so much well worth the reading if only to help us all avoid the pitfalls that could make us fail in our new path to slimmer fitter people. All saved to read again and again as I need to to make sure I don't fail. Your postinds are much appreciated.

blueeyes

Glad you find it useful. You want as much information as you can get. It's a big deal and preparation is key :)

wizzbang

Thank you, I have copied all five and put them on my desktop to read later.
I have to say that I am scared to read them, I dont know why, I feel as though they might tell me I am doing it all wrong.......... lol, even I dont know what I mean really.
I will read them though.
Lynne x

sydenham

Thanks for posting these - very interesting. I hope pre oppers get to read these. It really puts things in perspective in terms of surgery of any kind not being the magic solution and brings into focus the over expectation you can have about surgery.

tranquil x

I read both articles with interest. The problem as I see it, is that I entered into WLS with the expectation of Weight Loss but not in a magic solution way.
I appreciated right from the onset that eating habits would need to change drastically and mind sets would need to alter.
But and its a big BUT....., my surgeon certainly never discussed the risk of failure (and I am talking compliant patients here), I was told that the "average weight loss expectation" among the medical profession was 1 stone per month following RNY until your plateau is reached. This info is readily available on line as well and Mr Somers talks about all the WL procedures and the expected Weigh Loss.

If surgeons actually sat and shared the information that is in these two articles, I am sure that many patients would have second thoughts.

Surgeons are happy to bask in the glory with compliments from the patients
who the weight has fallen off of but shy away and clam up when confronted with patients whose weight loss is so painfully slow. I have said on the site before that I found it odd that after paying for my surgery, the subject of weight loss suddenly became "Taboo" and I was made to feel that asking questions about weight loss was somehow wrong.
In any other field of medicine, this wouldn't happen. Following a surgery, you would be expected to ask questions and have expectations for your recovery and future health and you would work together for a common goal.

For me, my weight is coming off but I am not happy with the rate at all and still consider that my expectations are totally reasonable.

Last edited:

Mio

Am glad I read all these articles. Am going in for my Banding tomorrow and have been worried that I wasn't prepared - however, I read all the articles and nothing surprised me or was alien to me, and I'd come across each of those points before, so it's given me a real sense of comfort to know I'm going into the surgery for the right reasons and at the right time :)