• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why complacency is no excuse

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
I've become very complacent about my iron since my surgery. For the first 7 months I took it religiously, but was then advised to stop as my levels were actually too high. While I was pregnant they dropped again and I was back on the syrup for a month or 2 to get back into the normal range. Since then I haven't taken any iron supplements other than the small amount that is in forceval.

About 5 months ago my periods stopped. We had lots of panicking about the possibility of pregnancy, but 2 home tests were negative so I put it out of my mind.

By the time I was 2 months late I went to see my GP, who wanted to see me anyway following some routine bloods from one if my consultants clinics. They did another pregnancy test which was negative.

He told me my iron levels were the lowest they had ever been, low enough to actually shut down my menstrual cycle completely. I immediately started the iron syrup on a high dose and was sent away for a month.

Just before the month was up my periods started again, and another blood test showed my iron levels are at the bottom end of the normal scale. I have to carry on the syrup on a normal dose for a further 2 months then be re-tested.

The whole event gave me a big kick up the jacksy as far as complacency and post-op meds goes. I'm fortunate in that my family is complete, as who knows how this kind if thing could affect my fertility. I know that many women here are hoping to conceive post op, so hopefully this can serve as a warning to all. I had no idea that anaemia could do that to a woman.

So all the post oppers out there, get your syrup swallowed, no matter how yuck it tastes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

see this worries me as i have not been given any iron to take i went to get my bloods done 2 weeks post op and they were fine, told not to go back till 6 months to get more done.. i dont want this to affect my fertility as i want kids in the future i am a week late just now and i am not pregnant however my periods have alwasy been all over the place due to PCOS.
anyways glad its given you the shove in the right direction regarding your meds
xx

Thanks so much for posting this thread, I am due my bypass 24 august 2011. At the moment they say I have polycystic ovary syndrome and my periods are all over the place. I had a big cyst removed April 2010, and I don't produce an egg each month. I'm told that if I have the bypass and loose some weight it may help my fertility to return. The point I am trying to make is that because you have posted this thread I will make sure to take all medication and not presume it's health issues I already have. Thanks once again luv kaz x

Thanks Shelbel I have just had my pre op bloods done and the haemoglobin was down so on Thursday I had a feritin blood taken. I have to go back Mon or Tues, and am pretty sure I will be put back on iron. Do you take always have it in syrup form? Even though you are a good way post op.

So when you get back into range, will you get regularly tested, so you don't dip again. As you said you went too high before, I guess it is on/off forever.

Rainbow that strange we posted at the same time we both have polycystic ovary syndrome I've not had my operation yet 24 august 2011 but the iron intake is worrying me too. I know I can get forceval prescribed by my gp and calcitue don't think I've Speke these right but don't know is this will help you? Luv kaz x

Kazz i take forceval and i take calcichew and i take fast tab but due to my bloods being fine i didnt get iron prescribed i have an appointment with my surgeon next week im going to ask him to recheck my bloods and see.. but yes the weight loss shall help with fertility so they say :) xx

ThAnks for the warning. I must admit that I've missed a couple of iron doses, needless to say I shan't anymore!!

rainbow27 said:
Kazz i take forceval and i take calcichew and i take fast tab but due to my bloods being fine i didnt get iron prescribed i have an appointment with my surgeon next week im going to ask him to recheck my bloods and see.. but yes the weight loss shall help with fertility so they say :) xx

Ah thanks sweetie so much. What is fast tab? Sorry this is all new? How do you find your pcos? I've got another cyst that will need operating on but was told I need to loose weight. This cyst is 3.5cm my last one was 10cm but I don't want this cyst to get that big as was painful. I hope everything will be ok for you sweetie luv kaz x x x

I take ferrous fumerate sugar free syrup for 2 reasons, firstly it is the most effective form of iron for post bypass, all of the tablet versions are enteric coated and need to sit in your stomach and intestine to dissolve and be absorbed. Obviously this process is much shorter with a bypass, hence the malabsorption, so by using a syrup it increases the absorption rate of the iron.

Secondly it is by far the most gentle on my stomach, no black poo! Ferrous tablets give me awful bowel problems, they make my IBS go crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thanks Shelbel you are always a wealth of information - the no black poo would be a wonderful bonus! I know it will be liquid to start with as my op is Thursday, but armed with your information, can try to stay liquid after the 6 weeks, rather than go back to the tablets I had last year.

I must admit I hated taking the tablets last year not nice side effects and yes it probably did not help with the IBS.

Kazzie & Rainbow, I am same as you PCOS hoping to conceive at some point. I had a large polyp removed last year. I have been given Forceval & Adcal-D3 to take but nothing specific for iron. I will be asking my surgeon about it when I go for my 6 week check on 18/8. x

I also have PSOC and want to give those of you hoping to conceive some positive news; I was told I would never conceive naturally, dieted and lost weight and at about 13 and a half stone fell pregnant (huge surprise at the time) and now have two gorgeous teenage sons (and an extra 4 stone!!) So, keep positive :) x

Thanks MrsSmith.
kazz i dont need ops for my cysts although i do feel pain where they are alot my docs dont really do much for me regarding my PCOS.. i have noticed in comparison to others after the bypass i am loosing weight slower and i do put it down to this as it has been all my days.
xx

I have just picked up my iron today, but won't start it until after my op now, as it would only be one dose before Nil by mouth tonight. I hope at the hospital they will advise when to take things... Calcium three times but away from Iron which is twice. All say watch out for antidepressants and thyroxine, which I take both!

I have been given Ferrous Furmarate Shelbell - I hope I don't get the back teeth - note to self 'remember to swill mouth out afterwards!'

With regards to your anti depressants (or any other tablet) one way of ensuring absorption is to crush them and mix with a yoghurt. That's what I've been advised to do.

Back