• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Are we able to give blood post-op

penelope1008

Hi all, Perhaps someone can answer this for me. Many years ago I used to give blood & being 0 negative I was welcomed with open arms. Then I wasn't allowed after having my eldest & didn't donate for many years I finally gave again some years ago but then as I was having dizzy spells wasn't allowed again. Since then I haven't gone back various surgeries, dizzy spells etc have meant I've assumed I couldn't donate. I got to thinking the other night perhaps I should try again but in light of the problems with my iron levels recently & needing extra iron tablets on top of the multi vitamins have a feeling the answer will be no for the sake of my health. I also suffer from an under active thyroid so wondered even without the bypass if that would affect my donating as well? I'm assuming the steroid jab I had this month plus the treatments to my knees will delay things a bit longer but would be interested in revisiting this simple way of giving something back to the NHS.

I wasnt allowed cos I had a transfusion.

I am due to give blood so i rang them to check and was told no as my op is in 3 weeks and to wait till at least six months after,

Hi there, I had my bypass in December and have always given blood through work, I called the blood people yesterday to ask the question and they said I am fine to give blood now, so I'm booked for tomorrow. I think they said as it was over four months ago. I'm quite interested to see if I pass the iron test! Hope that helps! Claire

Thanks Claire hope all went well. Sorry for not replying sooner I lost this thread & couldn't see it anywhere then thought of hunting for it via my profile & up it popped again.
Next time hubby goes I may be brave & go with him & see what they say & happens.
Thanks again.

No problem! To test your iron level they drop a bit of your blood into a solution and it's meant to sink straight away, mine floated to the top but luckily sank just in time so I'm borderline low iron. Other than that they took my blood no problem. I did feel light headed a few times later that day but just make sure you drink lots of fluids!
Good luck!
Claire x

Back