• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why Did no one mention the constipation

Loving the Loop

6 days post op and just had my first bowel movement this morning, 60 minutes agony :cry:,that no one at the hospital had warned me about. Eventually successful after giving up and going for a walk, drinking water and trying again later.

Can anyone tell me does this last long ? Can I help with over the counter laxatives or stool softeners is this ok after a bypass ? Sorry if these are newbie questions but that's what I am

ZombieBex

I drink pleeenty of water and use fibergel when its bad but evennow it can be 5+ days between movements and my op was 9 weeks ago

Loving the Loop

Thanks, I thought those types of laxatives need lots of fluid intake, which I am currently finding difficult to fit in

ZombieBex

i would check with your team - i didnt try anything until a few weeks after but yeah they told me a fewdays between is normal but the most important thing they told me was drink water

SerenityValley

Happy in the meantime
Took me 4 months to start pooing normally. For 4 months it was like pooing coal.

Loving the Loop

lol, just have to grit my teeth and buy some prep H I suppose, seemed a lot of pain for a tiny little result mind you

SerenityValley

Happy in the meantime
Yeah the pain ain't worth it. Worst is when the bullet is in the chamber but no amount of effort seems to shift it. I sat there for half an hour once unable to stop trying because of where it was.

Lots of coffee helped.

vain

I thought fibrogel was a no no as its bulky and not advised speak to your team Hun meantime prune juice plenty water and movement xxx hope it sorts out am 10 days post op had bad watery bowel movements I day then nothing for about 5 days then small bowel movement 2 days ago I've got lactolose

los in it

I thought I would never survive my first poo post op! I took advise from the guys on here, prune juice,water,then stuff from the chemists took a few days before "movement" all I can say is its not happened since and I thank the Lord for that!

Loving the Loop

Taking heart from "it has not happened since" and the comments about 5 days between movements, Thanks folks

los in it

I was told AFTER that this is normal ! Also because your eating so little you have nothing to "give" as such so I didnt notice for over a week! After that I just played the waiting game
nearly 11 months on I'm ok but do get loose ones instead but I understand its more to do with still eating too much fat or sugar in my diet but at least its only on waking up then nothing for the rest of the day so I can handle that

Last edited:

Llora

I was warnned by my team that constipation is very common post op. Not just straight after the op and after taking codein and other painkillers that can cause constipation but it was actually mentioned as one of the long term side effects of surgery too.

BFB

Congrats on having your op but sorry to hear things are a little difficult in the toilet department. I was a bit more the other way after mine. When I was a kid my mum used to pour boiling water down the loo to help loosen us up of we were constipated. I do remember it working but I haven't tried it since! Maybe worth a try. :)

Loving the Loop

I can understand the reasons, all the drugs, limited fluid intake and all of a sudden very little fibre in the diet, I used to eat loads of fruit and veg pre op, and I suppose I should have expected it.

But no one as Sunderland mentioned it so I panicked a bit this morning, till I went on line and saw how common it was.

weegie

Mostly I have been he other way. Lots of diarhhoea or lose movements. I do remember it was a few days before anything moved post op though. Also, I get periodic constipation because of taking CoCodamol and try not to let it go too long, maybe if nothing by 3rd day I take a Laxido. It jsually take me 2 or 3 days before I can get things moving again hence not waiting too long to begin with.

Hope it settles down for you.

Loving the Loop

Well so much for 5 days between, nature called again today (1 day) sat down dreading the worst but no problems hopefully all the water and walking has helped. Thanks for the support peeps.

Yeah the pain ain't worth it. Worst is when the bullet is in the chamber but no amount of effort seems to shift it. I sat there for half an hour once unable to stop trying because of where it was.

Lots of coffee helped.

Bwahaha! ....the bullet is in the chamber! I know what you mean tho, I get that, it won't come out but there is no going back...and I've not had the op yet either! Doesn't bode well for me then!

Curls40

6 days post op and just had my first bowel movement this morning, 60 minutes agony :cry:,that no one at the hospital had warned me about. Eventually successful after giving up and going for a walk, drinking water and trying again later. Can anyone tell me does this last long ? Can I help with over the counter laxatives or stool softeners is this ok after a bypass ? Sorry if these are newbie questions but that's what I am
I was the same it was so painful , about day four I wanted to go two more days nothing , my mum sorted it out and got the doctor to give my lactose although we aren't supposed to take it for the sugar content I was in pain in the butt area
I was back to normality within two weeks