• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Bypass at Bournemouth

PurpleB

Hi,

Thought I would post about my experiences at Bournemouth - nowhere near as scary as I thought it would be :)

Had to be at admissions by 0715 but got there early and was in by 0700. Hubby was given a card with the ward numbers on it and told to phone when he liked and visit at 1900 that evening. We said goodbye and I was taken away to be weighed and blood pressure, etc taken. Within 15 minutes the anaesthetist had been to see me (lovely guy) and 10 minutes later one of the surgeons came with the consent form. I was then asked to change into a gown - that was too big for me!! and was measured for those lovely surgical stockings. Once I was changed the lovely nurse helped with the stockings and took my bag away for safe keeping. Within minutes the nurse said it was time to go and we walked about 500 yards to the theatre. I had been told that I would be going straight into the theate and not to worry as it was perfectly normal. The theatre staff were great. My dressing gown and slippers were taken away, I had to lie on the table - putting my bum on a cross marked on the paper!!. The lovely anaesthetist started to hunt for a vein in my left hand and gave up - eventually finding one on the right. I had inflatable leggings put on and a blanket on top. I was then given a clear mask over my nose and mouth and told it was oxygen to begin with. It soon changed to a pleasant tasting (!) gas. I remember being told to take deep breathes and thinking, this will never send me to sleep..............

Next thing I remember is waking up in recovery, being told that everything had gone well, and having a really sore throat. I was soon on my way to the ward, and sipping water and dozing all pm.

The surgeon came to see me - all went well and liver was just right (thanks to this forum I stuck rigidly to the milk diet and this was never a worry :)).Hubby came at seven and it was good to see him. I got hardly any sleep that night, no real pain, more noise and unfamiliar territory.

Saturady I was still taking oral morphine and anti sickness drugs and felt ok. Got up, had a wash and put my own pjs on. Later that day I watched a dvd on how to inject myself with clexane and got to give it a try - I did it!! Slept much better that night.

Sunday was not such a good day. No morphine and soluble paracetamol is disgusting. I felt tired and sick all day but just lounged around and stuck to water and bovril.

On Monday I saw the Registar who observed my operation and the Surgeon and both agreed that all was well and I could go home. I had to wait for pharmacy to deliver the drugs and then home I went. It was a 60 minute journey and I'm glad I did not have to do that on the Sunday.

I have finished the course of Clexane - no dramas, just a few bruises. I had a weatabix and lots of milk for breakfast, carrot and corriandar soup for lunch and I'm just going to have some hot orange squash and sit down with a dvd.

I have lost 28lbs since I stared the milk diet :D and have not dumped. I can eat a tub of muller lite slowly but yesterday I added a few spoonfuls of pureed peaches to it and could not finish it.

I stopped taking painkillers 5 days ago and the only pain I have is from the bruises around my scars and it aches a bit beneath the scars too.

I do get windy after eating/drinking, especially soup, but it seems quite happy to make it's own way out!!

Hope this helps those who are worried about their operations and please ask if you have any questions about my experience - happy to help.

love

Moira

x

Moira

So glad all went well..that's really great news.
Thank you for writing about your experience,this is so valuable for someone like myself.

I hope all goes well for you in the final stages of your recovery....enjoy the weight loss :)

Take Care

Andy xx

Thanks Moira!
I know Bournemouth hosp well but have had my surgery at Poole so was not sure how they worked there.
Did you not go to the HDU after the op ??? any drains/catather ???
Not sure i can do the jabs but sis in law can come do them for me :)
Well done on the weight loss hun yayyyyyyy!!

Thanks Moira it's fab to hear about peoples experiences. I still keep telling myself, God this is forever, don't get me wrong I'm so excited and desperate to get it over and done with but I still have that worried feeling. I don't know why. You sound as if you are doing so well and I know I will too, I think it's just being scared of the unknown and reading everyones stories really does help to normalise things for those of us still waiting.

Hope you continue to recover well and enjoy a healthy new life.

Love Kate x

Hi,

Thanks for reading my epic post :) and for you good wishes.

Dawn - to answer your questions:

I went straight from recovery to the ward with no drains and no catheter. I got up to go to the loo early evening - with a lovely nurse walking beside me. My wounds were superglued so had no dressings on them - meant I could have a shower the next day. The glue is still on most of the scars today - just one got a bit itchy and I accidently picked it off!

Moira

x

Hi Moirai, glad all went smoothly I had my op at bournemouth in July & am so grateful especially at the moment with a lot of stress that I can deal with it without giving in to my old habits. Got my 3mth post op check with the dietitian next week. I'm now down to 13st 6lbs as of last Wednesday down from 15st 5lbs on op day having lost 1st on the milk diet & come down from a high of over 19st from April 2010. This new life is great lovely new clothes now down to a size 12/14 instead of the 18/20's+ of old. Long may it last until I hit my target. Good luck with your journey.

Hi Penny,

What an amazing weight loss - well done you :)

I'm two weeks post surgery today and struggling a bit with the pureed stage - not much protein in diet. Looking to start adding quorn to carrot/swede/sweet potato puree that I had last evening so that should help.

Good luck with your 3 month check - i'm still waiting for a date to come through but plenty of time yet!!

Moira

Thank you for sharing your story. It helps a lot :) well done xxx

What a very enlightening and useful post. I know Im having my op at a different hospital but it has given me some insight to what may happen.

I hope my hospital at Huddersfield will go as smoothly as yours seemed to have done.

Good luck on your recovery :)

You'll see Mr Davies / Mr Byrom whoever did your surgery about 7wks post op I saw Rhiannon at 8wks as we were away on holiday at 6wks. I got signed off by the surgeons then got given a 3day food diary by Rhiannon to post back to her. This time I'll get the results from that have bloods re done to check if I need to up vitamins etc & or have B12 jabs, plus whatever they need to check out or advise on.

Just found this thread & its good to read , my GP has just sent my forms off today & I will ( hopefully) have my op at b'mth . Thanks xx

Welcome Pandora, once funding is through you will see Mr Davies or Mr Byrom within 2-4 weeks & then within 18weeks you should have your op.

Ohhhh she is going to get her op come hell or high water !!! :D :D :D
Are we still meeting for coffee soon Penny ???

Yes if your still able to make it my appointment with Rhiannon is Thursday at 10.15 near the outpatients dept. So how about 11am in the coffee bar in outpatients. I'll message you my mobile number incase of problems. I hope to meet up with Bobsbigboy as well he's about a month ahead of me, but need to confirm times with him as his appointments are later in the day so coffee with you then some retail therapy before meeting him & his family will be lovely.

Back