• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1 Day Post Op - My experience so far

stefletcher28

Hi All

I had my Gastric Band fitted yesterday at Dolan Park and I just thought I'd share my experiences so that it may help someone, as I know that information I have found on the site has really taught me a lot about what to expect.

So my operation date was Sunday 30th June.

On the Friday before I had a phone call from the hospital just telling me that I needed to be there for 7am and not to eat anything after Midnight on Saturday and not to drink after 5am on the Sunday. (Not a great problem as on the Milk Diet you don't "eat" anything anyway! lol) I then had a call from the Head Dietician who talked me through various things, but I've learnt so much on here and from watching Paul O'Briens 8 Golden Rules that I had pretty much heard it all already, he seemed impressed that I was quite well read about it which was pleasing.

I arrived at the hospital (although its like a really nice hotel) at 7am on Sunday and was told I would need my bloods doing again. This was done quite promptly by the ward doctor.
I then had to wait for a room to become available while the previous days patients were being discharged, probably waited half an hour then got taken through by a very friendly nurse who immediately put me at ease.

No sooner had I entered the room than the anaesthetist knocked the door to talk to me about the procedure, explained what they were going to do and again, was really very nice indeed, very smiley. :) I asked him about having Emla on the back of my hand but he said the needle he used was very small and I shouldn't need it and really it wouldn't make that much difference anyway.

The nurse asked whether I'd already showered, which I had, so I didn't need to have another shower there, which surprised me. She said as long as I hadn't put any body lotion or anything then it would be fine. I'd put some deodorant on but she said this would be ok. She left me with a bottle for a urine sample and the paper pants/hat etc. I had taken some 100% cotton pants which they said were ok to wear instead. They did get covered in iodine during the op though so they've gone straight in the bin.

I was told I was first on the list to go in as I was a day case so wouldn't be stopping over.
Mr Sigurdsson then came in and I signed the final consent forms.

There are loads of questions they ask you over and over again at various stages which I suppose just covers there back. Things such as name, date of birth, whether you have any loose teeth/dentures/ crowns etc./ any jewellery.

I managed to produce a sample and then got changed into an ample and surprisingly well covering gown (it came all the way round at the back and ties at the side so there was no flashing going on.)

The nurse then measured me up for the surgical stockings and brought me them to put on, they weren't as tight as I expected so not difficult to put on.

Pretty much straight after that they came to walk me through to theatre. Glad I brought some slippers with me for this!

I met up with the first theatre nurse, a man, who was very nice, went through the same questions and he then took me into the theatre, there were 3 more nurses and the anaesthetist in there waiting. I lay down on the bed and they started to prep me.

The anaesthetist started to put the canular into the back of my hand, (this is the bit I was dreading the most really) it was a bit sharp but not as bad as I was expecting, he said I had wobbly veins but he eventually managed to get it sorted. They then put the oxygen mask on my face and started asking about my recent holiday.

Then......

I woke up in the recovery room, it was all done and quite frankly I was amazed. I haven't had a general anaesthetic since being a young child and it was like I closed my eyes for a second but in reality 30 minutes passed. I was so thrilled about it and the fact that there was virtually no pain I started singing in the recovery room, just to check my pipes still worked for a concert I'm singing in in a couple of weeks! lol
The recovery staff, in hindsight, looked at me like I was a nutter, but frankly I didn't care! It was done!

They wheeled me back to my room as I was on a high, saying hello to everyone as they went past.

The OH who was waiting patiently, probably not knowing what sort of state to expect me back in was shocked to say the least, We had a really good chat, I spoke to my parents on the phone to let them know I was ok then switched the telly on to see what was on! lol

This was then pretty much it for the rest of the day, after getting into my room at about 8.30, I was back there post-op by about 10am. The nurses brought me a jug of water to sip and after a while I nodded off a little, but mainly due to the poor nights sleep the night before and the early start I think. The box that my band came in was left in my room, I had a large 14ml band with 3ml put in during surgery.

They came back in about every half an hour or so to check blood pressure and to see that I was drinking the water, although I was on an IV drip as well to keep me hydrated.

This carried on till about 3pm when they asked me if I'd like a cup a soup. I had a tomato one, it was the nicest tasting thing I've ever had!!! lol

The wind pain got a bit annoying after a while, but moving around definitely helps, I have more wounds than I thought I'd have, about 7 in total, but they're not large and I reckon they'll pretty much disappear quite easily. A couple of them are more sore than the others, the larger one where the camera goes in and the port one.

It got to around 5.30pm and I was getting bored, I felt fine, was walking round, drinking was no problem, no nausea, no tightness or anything. So I had a walk up the corridor to see the nurses about going home. Just as I get up there Mr Sigurdsson came in, went with me straight to my room and said there were no problems, I can go, just follow the rules and I'd be fine.

Once I'd got my discharge pack, some documentation and a bottle of liquid paracetemol (no self injecting clexane Yay!)
We were then out of there, said thanks to the nurses for looking after me and that was it. The journey back home was fine, stopped at the shop for some cup a soups where I went in myself and got some cash.

Got back home and unpacked then the in laws came round for a pizza supper while I had a lovely chicken cup a soup! Yum!

The first night wasn't overly pleasant, the trapped wind feels worse at night and so I went down stairs with a big superking duvet and got my self into a comfortable position without having to disturb the OH. Managed to get a few hours, But I'm off work for the next 2 days at least so will no doubt cat nap (surrounded by our 3 cats) for most of the day.

Its not even 12pm and I don't know how much more of Homes Under the Hammer I can take! lol

Anyway, that's my ramblings about my experience. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask, overall the treatment at Dolan Park was very good, cannot fault it and after previous NHS experiences was like a different planet!

The whole experience has been a thousand times better than I expected, maybe I was lucky or maybe I've got a high pain threshold, I don't know. But I hope I can put some peoples minds at rest that sometimes things just all go well and the procedure, while not a stroll in the park, is not as bad as you might imagine!

Lol! I love your comedy version of the same experience I had at Dolan Park on Saturday 29th. It must be Ground Hog day for the staff. I even stopped off for cuppa soups in Sainsburys on my way back to the hotel.

Fab, glad things are going well. I am bored stiff with the TV too. I have enjoyed Kirstie and Phil once too many times this morning!

Hahahaha, love your post.

Many congratulations on joining the losers bench xx

Glad all has gone well, its an experience that really does vary from one to another! Speedy recovery wishes to you

Hi All

I had my Gastric Band fitted yesterday at Dolan Park and I just thought I'd share my experiences so that it may help someone, as I know that information I have found on the site has really taught me a lot about what to expect.

So my operation date was Sunday 30th June.

On the Friday before I had a phone call from the hospital just telling me that I needed to be there for 7am and not to eat anything after Midnight on Saturday and not to drink after 5am on the Sunday. (Not a great problem as on the Milk Diet you don't "eat" anything anyway! lol) I then had a call from the Head Dietician who talked me through various things, but I've learnt so much on here and from watching Paul O'Briens 8 Golden Rules that I had pretty much heard it all already, he seemed impressed that I was quite well read about it which was pleasing.

I arrived at the hospital (although its like a really nice hotel) at 7am on Sunday and was told I would need my bloods doing again. This was done quite promptly by the ward doctor.
I then had to wait for a room to become available while the previous days patients were being discharged, probably waited half an hour then got taken through by a very friendly nurse who immediately put me at ease.

No sooner had I entered the room than the anaesthetist knocked the door to talk to me about the procedure, explained what they were going to do and again, was really very nice indeed, very smiley. :) I asked him about having Emla on the back of my hand but he said the needle he used was very small and I shouldn't need it and really it wouldn't make that much difference anyway.

The nurse asked whether I'd already showered, which I had, so I didn't need to have another shower there, which surprised me. She said as long as I hadn't put any body lotion or anything then it would be fine. I'd put some deodorant on but she said this would be ok. She left me with a bottle for a urine sample and the paper pants/hat etc. I had taken some 100% cotton pants which they said were ok to wear instead. They did get covered in iodine during the op though so they've gone straight in the bin.

I was told I was first on the list to go in as I was a day case so wouldn't be stopping over.
Mr Sigurdsson then came in and I signed the final consent forms.

There are loads of questions they ask you over and over again at various stages which I suppose just covers there back. Things such as name, date of birth, whether you have any loose teeth/dentures/ crowns etc./ any jewellery.

I managed to produce a sample and then got changed into an ample and surprisingly well covering gown (it came all the way round at the back and ties at the side so there was no flashing going on.)

The nurse then measured me up for the surgical stockings and brought me them to put on, they weren't as tight as I expected so not difficult to put on.

Pretty much straight after that they came to walk me through to theatre. Glad I brought some slippers with me for this!

I met up with the first theatre nurse, a man, who was very nice, went through the same questions and he then took me into the theatre, there were 3 more nurses and the anaesthetist in there waiting. I lay down on the bed and they started to prep me.

The anaesthetist started to put the canular into the back of my hand, (this is the bit I was dreading the most really) it was a bit sharp but not as bad as I was expecting, he said I had wobbly veins but he eventually managed to get it sorted. They then put the oxygen mask on my face and started asking about my recent holiday.

Then......

I woke up in the recovery room, it was all done and quite frankly I was amazed. I haven't had a general anaesthetic since being a young child and it was like I closed my eyes for a second but in reality 30 minutes passed. I was so thrilled about it and the fact that there was virtually no pain I started singing in the recovery room, just to check my pipes still worked for a concert I'm singing in in a couple of weeks! lol
The recovery staff, in hindsight, looked at me like I was a nutter, but frankly I didn't care! It was done!

They wheeled me back to my room as I was on a high, saying hello to everyone as they went past.

The OH who was waiting patiently, probably not knowing what sort of state to expect me back in was shocked to say the least, We had a really good chat, I spoke to my parents on the phone to let them know I was ok then switched the telly on to see what was on! lol

This was then pretty much it for the rest of the day, after getting into my room at about 8.30, I was back there post-op by about 10am. The nurses brought me a jug of water to sip and after a while I nodded off a little, but mainly due to the poor nights sleep the night before and the early start I think. The box that my band came in was left in my room, I had a large 14ml band with 3ml put in during surgery.

They came back in about every half an hour or so to check blood pressure and to see that I was drinking the water, although I was on an IV drip as well to keep me hydrated.

This carried on till about 3pm when they asked me if I'd like a cup a soup. I had a tomato one, it was the nicest tasting thing I've ever had!!! lol

The wind pain got a bit annoying after a while, but moving around definitely helps, I have more wounds than I thought I'd have, about 7 in total, but they're not large and I reckon they'll pretty much disappear quite easily. A couple of them are more sore than the others, the larger one where the camera goes in and the port one.

It got to around 5.30pm and I was getting bored, I felt fine, was walking round, drinking was no problem, no nausea, no tightness or anything. So I had a walk up the corridor to see the nurses about going home. Just as I get up there Mr Sigurdsson came in, went with me straight to my room and said there were no problems, I can go, just follow the rules and I'd be fine.

Once I'd got my discharge pack, some documentation and a bottle of liquid paracetemol (no self injecting clexane Yay!)
We were then out of there, said thanks to the nurses for looking after me and that was it. The journey back home was fine, stopped at the shop for some cup a soups where I went in myself and got some cash.

Got back home and unpacked then the in laws came round for a pizza supper while I had a lovely chicken cup a soup! Yum!

The first night wasn't overly pleasant, the trapped wind feels worse at night and so I went down stairs with a big superking duvet and got my self into a comfortable position without having to disturb the OH. Managed to get a few hours, But I'm off work for the next 2 days at least so will no doubt cat nap (surrounded by our 3 cats) for most of the day.

Its not even 12pm and I don't know how much more of Homes Under the Hammer I can take! lol

Anyway, that's my ramblings about my experience. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask, overall the treatment at Dolan Park was very good, cannot fault it and after previous NHS experiences was like a different planet!

The whole experience has been a thousand times better than I expected, maybe I was lucky or maybe I've got a high pain threshold, I don't know. But I hope I can put some peoples minds at rest that sometimes things just all go well and the procedure, while not a stroll in the park, is not as bad as you might imagine!
thanks for sharing, I will be going for a sleeve but am sure the initial experience will be much the same and all bariatric surgeries have common ground at some level.
Please continue "journaling" as this really helps and prevent us having to ask the questions as we then already have the answers. I love this site.

Thanks to all for the good wishes, the hard work starts now though as this is just the beginning of the journey for me really.

On that note, I am amazed by some people, who I considered quite close friends, to be exceptionally judgemental about the fact I've had this op.

Comments such as

"that's a bit drastic couldn't you just got to weight watchers!"

and from some "friends" who I attended Slimming World classes with a couple of years ago have been amongst the worst, they have lost some weight with this method, but it didn't work for me. So now I'm getting comments like "just make sure you follow the rules" said in quite a judgemental way.

I've not really figured out how to deal with this yet but it is quite upsetting and at a time when I'm really quite excited about moving forward with this new phase of my life I do feel that these people are bringing me down.

Its as if they are judging me as a failure for having taken such "drastic" action as having a gastric band and I'm not putting up with it.

My feelings are that jealousy plays a big part in this especially from the larger of my friends and I expect if they had the guts or money to have the op they would book it tomorrow.

Its the condescending, high and mighty, holier than thou attitudes that are difficult to swallow at the moment, maybe because the op is still so fresh in my mind and I'm maybe feeling a bit more sensitive than usual because of the anaesthetic.

I feel as if I want to have a rant on facebook, but figured I'd get the majority of it out of my system on here first so I don't necessarily alienate everyone I know! lol
I'm sure there are other people who experience this and I think its an entirely unfair judgement that people make.

If I had type 2 diabetes, heart disease, severe sleep apnoea(?) and a BMI of a 103, I would be costing the NHS a fortune and people would be praising me for having the op to help the situation. As it is, because I've been pro-active and taken the plunge before I get to the stage where I'm at deaths door I'm being judged and made to feel ashamed of the decision.

Another rambling one, sorry.

Would be interesting to see how other people have coped with prejudice against us banders and judgemental attitudes!

Oh wow I am so there with you regarding people passing judgement....I had someone tell me that having a band was just an easy way out rather than dieting! As if! I figure people like this are really not worth my time and effort anymore....this has been the toughest diet I've ever done! (I mean the 2 weeks pre op followed by 2 weeks liquids) my fella says its jealousy but it hurts that friends would treat me so harshly, esp without researching it properly. I couldn't continue the way I was so I borrowed the money and did something about it....its going to be a really tough few months ahead (paying back money and changing my lifestyle) I've decided I only want positive things around me! Anyhoo good luck on your journey, I'm sure u will do great x :)

Chin up. You have taken control and have done the right thing. Why wait until you have type 2 diabetes and all the other health issues associated with +BMI before taking action.

Those who say negative things have their own issues of jealousy or whatever else. A true friend supports others no matter what.

I think you are brave. You have been open about your op. I have not, the only people who know are my husband and my mum. Both are supportive, I didn't want to deal with the prejudice at work, so have decided not to say anything.

Good luck with your journey.

Chin up. You have taken control and have done the right thing. Why wait until you have type 2 diabetes and all the other health issues associated with +BMI before taking action.

Those who say negative things have their own issues of jealousy or whatever else. A true friend supports others no matter what.

I think you are brave. You have been open about your op. I have not, the only people who know are my husband and my mum. Both are supportive, I didn't want to deal with the prejudice at work, so have decided not to say anything.

Good luck with your journey.

I am like you.....only my Husband knows and he has been fantastic all the way. It definitely is not an easy option, the research alone as taken many man hours, I work hard and have paid for it myself so I will have also saved NHS thousands in the long run......Here's to us and our new lives ahead, good luck on you journey x

Day 5 post op.......still sore around the incisions but moving a lot better now......I haven't suffered from trapped wind at all, seems I'm one of the lucky ones thank goodness.....I was considering going back to work on Monday but have decided to give it another week to heal properly. I just want to make sure everything is ok as this is for life. I feel better as each day passes....I have just had a nice surprise on the scales since I started Pre Op Diet I am 16lb down (1 stone 2 sounds better)......well pleased with that.

My husband made some soup yesterday, that was lovely and i think I will be having more of that today...... When he does something good he kicks the but out of it..lol

Have a nice day fellow loosers .....xx

Ah well done u, sounds like its all going great....its lovely when its all going to plan. Re confirms to me that I defo made the right decision x

Back