• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why hadn't i done this before?

Paula1975

I have been going to the gym 3 weeks now, yes its hard work, but i feel good when i leave. maybe if i had joined a gym yearsa ago, i wouldnt be where i am now.
but i know i am doing the right thing for me and my health.
if you have any doubts about going to the gym, everyone is there for the same reason, there are som many different shapes and sizes, if you cant afford the expensive ones, have a look around, i did. it has a pool too, and ive been swimming...on my own...which i have never never done. and no one stares at you. i am feeling a little more confident than i did when i first went.

:p

Good for you Paula. It's a great way to get your heart and lungs in shape ready for surgery.
I'm hoping my gp will put me forward for an exercise referral at a local gym as I can't afford the membership fees right now.

Hi Ladies, I plan to get up and go to the gym. I am a member of the local one and was referred by the Dr so it is very cheap! I think for the 1st year I paid something like £12.50 per month now it's £19.00.

I have had the membership for about a year and a half but hurt my shoulder in October last year on the "peck deck" and rather than working thru the pain, I used it as an excuse to stop going.... That's the story of my life... Any excuse to stop dieting or exercising, hence why I have had a band fitted!

I am wondering if it's ok to go to the gym so soon after my op! I had it on 5th June.

I really want to get that exercise bug that skinny fit people have... The one that is like a drug where you have to go regularly to get your fitness fix!

I plan to go absailing and maybe rock wall climbing when I am smaller.... I always felt it was unfair on the rope to do it as a big girl!

I ache just thinking about getting on the treadmill!

Bye.... Xx

I'm not sure how quickly banders can get back to exercise I'd check with your team and dicuss it with the Gym as they can perhaps start you off on some simple exercises until the team say it is safe to do more, so you can gradually build up what you do.
If you ask the instructors for a review appointment both in light of the op and the injury you got to your shoulder, that way you can talk it over and set up a safe programme with regular reviews and supervision as you build up what you do there. Not forgetting to link it with whatever your hospital team suggest is safe for now as although the gym instructors are trained they may not have had to build a programme for anyone with a band before and not be as clear on the risks etc you have and things you need to avoid.

Hi Paula, good luck with the gym work - and the swimming! I think if people see that you're making the effort to improve your health they want you to do well. I've never had any funny looks or comments (not to my face anyway) and I must have joined the gym about five times in the past (ha - I should be as thin as a rake!)

I was really enjoying the last one (it was a small local gym and everyone was really friendly) until I damaged my knee ligament on the stepper. I did go back but I have to admit that I'm too heavy right now and too riddled with arthritis to do much. Hopefully, if I can lose another stone/stone and a half before christmas then I'm asking for a year's subscription for my christmas present from hubby. I go swimming on Friday nights with hubby and have enjoyed that so far, so going to see what its like on a Sunday morning... on my own!!!

Back