• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why that op?

JulesE

Hey all, hope you're all well :wavey:

Can I please pick your brains (again!)?

What made you decide on the bypass over the band or vice versa?

I think I'm set on the band, but can't decide 100%.

Your thoughts would be great :)

Thanks

xx

i chose the band as im a volume eater i loved huge portions, i wasnt so much a grazer and i didnt have a sweet tooth, the band has helped me down size my portions and is working well, but it wont stop you eating sugared or fried foods so a bypass is better for choc lovers ect.

Hi I was adviced by the consultant at the obesity clinic that a bypass would suit me best. He didn't seem to think a band would work for me. Good luck with your decision.

I had bypass in my mind when I went to see the surgeon and was glad when he recommended it. I am a volume eater, because of my diabetes and high blood pressure he thought bypass would suit me better.

I know this is probably an isolated case but I was put me off the band after I met some that had it fitted. All she would talk about is way round getting big portions food down.

i couldnt face the seriousness and finality of the bypass my surgeon strongly suggested it as im a sweet eater as well as a volume eater but i couldnt do it and im glad i stuck to my guns im very happy with my band and made the right choice

My surgeon thought it would be best for me because I'm type 2 diabetic. Also I was put off the band because of the fills and things that can go wrong (rarely) such as leakage, port problems, erosion and slipping. I can understand people not liking the finality of a bypass though. The band is reversible - bypass isn't. xx

I couldn't face the idea of having a plastic thing inside me, apparently women dont have a problem having plastic things inside them, i'm told this is a man thing ;)

plus to be honest i couldn't be bothered with all the fills, de fills and eventual failure of the band.

I attended a group meeting 2 weeks ago, there were 7 banders attending, 3 had completely failed to lose anything and one woman had actually gained weight, diet, exercise and finding that sweet spot with the restriction is so important to lose the weight, i dont think i'd have had that sort of determination or long term commitment. With a bypass if you follow a few basic rules you cant go wrong !

Back