• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

percentage of excess weight lost, why?

descent

Hi guys:)

I am just venturing in here as I have made a very tiny first step of approaching my GP re. weight loss surgery. He was very supportive, has set the ball rolling, and I am trying to read up lots.

I have seen some figures on some info websites, about the percentage of your excess weight lost after the different types of surgery. Obviously the weight loss is good, but the heighest seemed to be 70 something % ish, haven't got the figures exactly.

I was just wondering, whether this is standard, or just averages? Because you can lose 100% of your excess weight on a diet? I lost all of mine on cambridge, diet pills and rosemary conley and also calorie counting for example. Of course I put it all back with interest:D Which is why I am in this position now.

I am having difficulty explaining what I mean!:eek: Is it because you physically can't lose more weight after the surgery? Or could you cut down more on food or something? Or that you rely on the surgery to cause all of your weightloss, and try to cheat?

I am not sure I want to have major surgery that could kill me if I will still be overweight are plump or not as slim as I could be afterwards, and even worse, what if you couldn't do anything about it because it's part of the operation....:confused:

Anyone have a clue what I'm on about and have any thoughts?:D

http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=10 welcome to the group,here you will find plenty of support as you decide if surgery is for you or not,i have not had my op yet but am waiting for a gastric bypass,i too have done plenty of research and rest assured you are able to lose 100 % of your extra weight the statistics are purely a guide as to how fast you can expect to lose the weight.hope this helps.shout if you have any more questions

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i think u have to take into account that lots of people are just happy to lose the bulk of their weight so dont go all the way....and u have to wonder what they are measuring the weight loss against. if u go by the medical ideals then it cannot be accurate. for my height (5ft) i would be in a healthy weight range if i got down to 7stones. theres no way i wanna go that small so at 9 stones, which is perfectly slim for my height, i am still 2 stones heavier than my medical ideal... i hope this makes sense as i do have a way of rambling and making no sense lol. basically, YOUR idea of what is 100% ideal weight loss for you may not match the medical ideal of 100% weight loss.

congrats on ur first step. im glad ur doc is supportive as that will be a godsend as u go thru the proccess. best of luck with it. xxxxxxxx

Hi I can see where you are coming from, If its any help I was told by my surgeon and bariatric nurse that the vast majority of people lose at least eighty per cent of their weight within two years of the op, most people who have lost this much are completly happy with their weight loss but some go on a lower calorie diet (including excersise) to get the remaining weight off. Now I know of one person who has had the surgery and who has regained all of their weight that they lost it was put down to her streaching her pouch by drinking guiness (dont laugh its true!!!) I cant see how she managed it because the smallest over eat by myself and Im running to the loo!!! From a personel point of view its sounds as if you are in a position that I was, diet.,.put back on and then some!! my op was the best decision that I could have made. Hope this helps somewhat. xx

Callyspace, that is an excellent example of people needing to change their attitudes to food as well as having surgery. Even if you have surgery, your attititude to food and lifestyle still has to change.

Callyspace, that is an excellent example of people needing to change their attitudes to food as well as having surgery. Even if you have surgery, your attititude to food and lifestyle still has to change.

Totally agree with you, the op is not a sure fire way of losing weight as many think it may be , if you really want to cheat you can do as with the women that I have mentioned in my other link has done. But I think for the majority of people that are considering and have gone through with it are commited to changing their whole life style and outlook concerning food, well I know that I have!!

hi i had my bypass done 1 year ago i was 25 stone to start with and im 5ft 2ins so i had it done and ive lost 8 stone so far which is good it does slow down after a while and u have to work at it, a bypass is not i repeat not the easy way out at all, if u had one u would know lol, it is emotional at times your mind remembers the food and what u could eat but ur body or better still ur pouch wont allow it no more, its all trial and error im afraid but definately not the easy way to lose weight but the benefits r very rewarding xxx

Thanks for all the replies, some interesting reading!:) I am not sure any method of losing weight is a quick fix/easy for many people! If it were an easy way out we wouldn't have the problem in the first place. I think it's just a matter of finding what is going to work for you personally and most importantly it seems, long term.:confused:

See I lost 7 stones in 5 months on cambridge, I'm also 5'2. So comparing that to the results mentioned in the post above me....you would think, well why would you have the major surgery! But having said that, here I am 2 years later having regained 8 stones, and I cannot for the life of me manage cambridge any more. I just can't do it.

It is the issues surrounding food you need to fix I agree. Are they ever fixable though? Alcoholism for example. You are always one, even if you haven't had a drink for four years. Can these deep rooted issues ever be fixed and got rid of totally? I don't really think they can. I think the best you can do is get a hold on them, learn how to manage them.

So, no, I agree, nothing related to losing huge quantities of weight is an easy way out! Surgery does not stand alone in that defense.

Sorry, thinking out loud again!:eek::D

Good luck with whatever you decide ...... we all know how difficult losing, and perhaps more importantly maintaining weight loss is and surgery is always a considered option..... you will find plenty of helpful advice here for sure to help support you whichever way things work out for you xx

i wish i had done it years ago to be honest with you and if i could have done it the normal way i would have, but i know in my heart that i made the right choice for me and no one else, ive just turned 40 and when i do eventually have grandchildren i dont want to be the fat nan lol i want to enjoy it to the full xxx

Back